Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#14861 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:50 AM

This might be an unpopular opinion, but wouldn't it be safer to suspend the licenses of the accused until such time the allegations can be proven rather than outright fire them?

One would think that due process would be the responsible approach but as I said this is a business decision unless of course the realtor confessed.

Edited by spanky123, 31 March 2021 - 08:58 AM.

#14862 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:16 AM

the other thing is they are contractors. so they are not “fired” in the traditional sense.
  • m3m likes this

#14863 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:46 AM

Witnesses Sought After Patrol Officers, Suspect Injured In Arrest

March 31, 2021 - File: #21-12037

Victoria, BC – Investigators are seeking witnesses and video after an arrest on Monday in which two Patrol officers and the suspect suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Shortly after 10 a.m. on Monday, March 29th, Patrol officers were called to the area of Quadra and Courtney streets for a report of a man breaking into parking meters and parking pay stations.

Officers attended and located the suspect, who fled from the officers on foot. The officers caught up to the man near Quadra and Broughton streets, and attempted to take the man into custody.

The man refused officers’ verbal commands and then began to fight with them. Officers deployed a conductive energy weapon and oleoresin capsicum spray, but both were infective. An ICS K9 team, including PSD Zender, was deployed and assisted in taking the suspect into custody.

The suspect was treated at the scene for non-life-threatening injuries. The suspect, a Vancouver man, has been the subject of nine additional police calls in the previous three days. He was transported to hospital for a mental health assessment and held there under the Mental Health Act. In addition, he faces recommended charges of resisting arrest.

Two officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the incident but were able to complete their shifts.

This file remains under investigation.

If you have information about this incident or video, and have not spoken with investigators, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#14864 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:07 AM

This might be an unpopular opinion, but wouldn't it be safer to suspend the licenses of the accused until such time the allegations can be proven rather than outright fire them?

Yes. That is the unpopular opinion but you’re right. We’ve moved into guilty until proven innocent. I wouldn’t keep someone at my business personally because there’s too much risk. What if he was a predator and there was no proof? I’m putting my employees at risk and my customers. The law obviously views this differently than the public does. That’s why, if the person is innocent, you can expect a lot of lawsuits... probably if they’re guilty too

#14865 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:08 AM

^ ^ Vancouver is not sending us their best.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2021 - 11:08 AM.

#14866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:27 PM

The initial post on the account calls the pair “Victoria predators,” and goes on to say that they are from “an affluent circle in Victoria and use their connections and ‘popularity’ to assault women.”

https://www.victoria...n-social-media/

Affluence is in the eye of the beholder.

The duo had two listings at the time of the allegations, both average priced condos. These are not high-flying realtors with multiple $2-3 million homes for sale.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14867 sablefish

sablefish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:43 PM

Witnesses Sought After Patrol Officers, Suspect Injured In Arrest

March 31, 2021 - File: #21-12037

Victoria, BC – Investigators are seeking witnesses and video after an arrest on Monday in which two Patrol officers and the suspect suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Shortly after 10 a.m. on Monday, March 29th, Patrol officers were called to the area of Quadra and Courtney streets for a report of a man breaking into parking meters and parking pay stations.

Victoria's very own Cool Hand Luke. But can he eat 50 eggs?

#14868 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:52 PM

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that I, along with Stephen, would have stated that there is no such thing as rape culture in our society if it wasn't for this topic being discussed on this forum.

I would have fallen into the same trap as Stephen did. I don't personally know of anyone that would have differed with me....but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I don't drive to the library anymore in order to learn something about what I am unaware of either.

Doctor Google comes to my rescue rather handily...so does Wikipedia.

I honestly had no idea.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Rape_culture
  • sukika, rmpeers and m3m like this

#14869 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:02 PM

the rape culture concept is mostly a radical feminist distortion of the facts on the ground.

there is certainly a victim culture in the western world.  lots of leftists like to make sure they are always viewed as being in some type of victim group.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2021 - 01:08 PM.

• A Girl is No one and newbie_01 like this

#14870 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:13 PM

very odd.

Getting to know the neighbours saved one Oak Bay homeowner from having their home sold by a scammer.

Using a series of emails and fake identification, Oak Bay police say a scammer listed a residence on Bartlett Drive for sale without the consent of the legal homeowner.

Someone pretending to be the owner contacted a property management company representative in early February, according to Deputy Chief Mark Fisher.

The suspect said they had changed their email and provided a new phone number. The suspect signed the email in the name of the property owner but did not provide any proof of identification. In mid-February, the suspect contacted the property management representative asking for a property valuation and was referred to a local realtor. Once the valuation was complete, the suspect requested, again by email, that the house be listed for sale.

https://www.vicnews....ners-knowledge/

and this is just a silly headline:

Scammers attempt to steal residential properties

https://www.timescol...ties-1.24301470

#14871 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:51 PM

Man Arrested After Assault On Shelter Staff, Patrol Officer

March 31, 2021 - File: #21-12328

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man early this morning after he assaulted a staff member at a local shelter and then assaulted a police officer.

Shortly after 12:30 a.m. on Wednesday, March 31st, Patrol officers were called to a temporary housing site in the 1900-block of Blanshard Street for a report that a man had assaulted a staff member at that location. The victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the attack, and the suspect fled the area.

Officers located the suspect near the temporary housing site. Upon seeing the officers, the suspect began punching a police vehicle, and then attempted to punch an officer in the face. After a brief struggle, the suspect was taken into custody without further incident. The officer was not injured in the incident.

The suspect was transported to VicPD cells where he was held in custody, and later released with a court date and conditions. The suspect faces recommended charges of assault and assaulting a police officer.

This file remains under investigation.

If you have information about this incident and have not spoken with investigators, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#14872 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:15 PM

Catch and release...

#14873 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:54 PM

^ So he can head back and assault the staff member again.

#14874 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

Substantial drug investigation in Duncan yields big results

2021-03-31 

File # 2021-2531 CFSEU File #2021-10

On March 30th 2021 the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia (CFSEU-BC), in partnership with the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP, executed drug-related search warrants at a residence in Duncan that will likely impact the illegal drug trade and drug traffickers throughout Vancouver Island.

Organized crime, the illegal drug trade, and the individuals and groups associated have a presence throughout the province. Vancouver Island is no exception says Sgt Brenda Winpenny, spokesperson for the CFSEU-BC. The CFSEU-BC works tirelessly to support our policing partners in fulfilling its mandate to disrupt, suppress, investigate and prosecute those individuals that present the greatest risk to public safety.

The two residences searched were in close proximity to each other in a complex on Government Street. CFSEU-BC, the Duncan RCMP, and the City of Duncan Bylaws continue to work together and follow-up to determine any applicable unsafe property bylaws based on the evidence found at the scene.

This is a very positive outcome and a substantial seizure. With the ongoing opioid crisis in our communities, targeting those dealing the drugs has become a priority says North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP Detachment Commander Chris Bear. By working with specialized partners, like CFSEU-BC, in an effort to identify and target dealers, we can remove these deadly drugs from our streets and on Vancouver Island .

During the warrant execution various drugs, firearms, cell phones, evidence to support drug trafficking, and a substantial amount of currency was seized. Investigators are currently cataloguing and totalling up all the evidence, which is being handled in accordance with strict safety precautions, as it’s believed that fentanyl is one of the drugs found.

During the investigation there were several marked police cars parked near the scene, along with multiple police officers walking in full uniform patrolling the area for security. Despite this high amount of overt police presence, however, people did not seem deterred or concerned and continued to attempt to contact the residence in what investigators believe was efforts to buy illegal drugs.

Three suspects were arrested, with two remaining in custody. Currently, no charges have been approved, and their identities will not be released.

Released by

Cpl. Chris Manseau
Division Media Relations Officer
BC RCMP Communication Services

#14875 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:06 PM

What I learned reading social media: if realtors rape people, then the realtors are bad. Sound right. If 3 guys assault a woman downtown, the Adam Stirling is bad. Huh?
  • sebberry, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#14876 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:24 PM

^ ^ Vancouver is not sending us their best.

Bring it on... I wonder where he’s been staying?
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#14877 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:42 PM

One would think that due process would be the responsible approach but as I said this is a business decision unless of course the realtor confessed.

I think I would question the person accused, if he did it - gone, if he says it's absolutely not true then maybe suspend the license.

By firing them the company is finding them guilty, just the way most people here think they are.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14878 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:35 AM

A man was arrested Wednesday night after reportedly yelling and hitting garbage cans while following a woman.

Shortly before 9 p.m. on March 31, police received a call from the woman who said she was in the area of Cook Street and Rockland Avenue. After calling 911, she ran from the man and found a bystander who accompanied her to safety.

Police arrived quickly and located a suspect in the area. A knife was found in the man’s possession, despite conditions of probation stemming from an assault file that banned him from having a weapon. In 2020, the man randomly struck a person in Victoria with a wooden stick.

https://www.vicnews....owed-yelled-at/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2021 - 09:36 AM.

#14879 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 02:08 PM

This is getting really old....
  • sebberry likes this

#14880 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

we’ve imported 2000 or more of these characters into downtown. it’s not going away anytime soon.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)