BUILT
The Pearl Residences
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1628 Store Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: now selling
The Pearl Residences is an eight-storey condominium proposal situated along the 1600-block of Store Street in ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Pearl Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Pearl Residences | Condos; commercial | 8-storeys | Built completed in 2023

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

If only this was the type of argument we were hearing from certain members of Council

I appreciate that Council looks out for the public's best interest at all times.

#22 darlenet8

darlenet8
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

Darlene Tait here. Sorry to leave you all hanging but I will release more shortly - we want to release details to our neighbours first on the 28th. Just FYI, following our meeting with the neighbours, we will be submitting for a DP - the property is zoned already. I'll check in here from time to time to see if there are any questions...

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, AllseeingEye and 2 others like this

#23 darlenet8

darlenet8
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

And just one minor correction to the Citified overview - this will be a concrete building, not woodframe.

• zoomer, Nparker and JanionGuy like this

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Ah, very good. In the profile I have to choose “something” for the material so I’ll get that updated. Concrete is definitely the way to go.
  • darlenet8 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

I am really hoping that we see a high ground floor commercial and zero set back that lines up with the buildings on either side.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker and tjv like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#26 darlenet8

darlenet8
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

I am really hoping that we see a high ground floor commercial and zero set back that lines up with the buildings on either side.

I'm pretty confident you'll like what we're doing then...

• zoomer, Nparker and thundergun like this

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

It will be great to see the demise of another waterfront parking lot and the restoration of the historic street front. 

• johnk and DougG like this

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

It will be great to see the demise of another waterfront parking lot and the restoration of the historic street front. 

Exactly!  And finally return Store St. to a "working street".   :banana:

15_Store_Street_boy.jpg

i-04709_141.jpg

3914554580_ae1da72db9_b.jpg

CP%20FREIGHT%2C%20STORE%20STREET%2C%20VI

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 November 2017 - 03:08 PM.

• Nparker, Bingo, rambaldi and 2 others like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Great historic shots. And of course one of the rail lines went right inside the Buckerfield's building, now Swan's. That was pretty cool looking.

• Bingo likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#30 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

And I believe that is VHF on the back of the tanker smoking a cigarette.

• VicHockeyFan and rambaldi like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#31 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

While I am happy that this project is filling in another parking lot, I think this building should be taller than 5 stories as well

I also think with the rapid disappearance of parking lots in the downtown area, the CoV really needs to step up and come up with a parking plan.  How many parking lots are left that aren't slated for development besides the ones on either side of the Malahat building?  There can't be more than a dozen and most are small like the corner of Fort and Langley.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

It’s also starting to (unfairly) affect developers. The city rested on its laurels while private land kept up with parking supply for growing demand, and now that the city is actively supporting/promoting development of said land they’re literally unwilling to admit that some of the taxation windfalls coming from these projects ought to be directed at parking. Meanwhile Joe Public is directing their frustration at the developer.

I’m seeing parkades full on weekends now. That’s insane. There’s a song and dance between the city and business owners who say their clients are increasingly agitated by the parking situation, where the city tells them to stop using up parking capacity themselves and by the people they employ.

Literally, the narrative is if you’re a business owner downtown, don’t park downtown!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

Literally, the narrative is if you’re a business owner downtown, don’t park downtown!

Alternatively 'If you're a business owner downtown, live downtown!

#34 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Interesting about business owners "don't park downtown", on Bloor in Toronto they studied how people get to businesses (91% by active transport, 9% drove), but since over 50% of business owners drove they had a wildly inaccurate view of the % of people that drove to shop.

#35 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

Alternatively 'If you're a business owner downtown, live downtown!

And lets say they don't like condos?

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

And lets say they don't like condos?

Buy in Fairfield and commute downtown by bus.

#37 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

^or buy in Saanich and commute?  or Langford and commute?  or Sooke and commute?

the fact is if you don't like condos you can't live downtown.  I've stayed downtown in major cities and the noise drives me nuts even from 30+ floors up

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

...I've stayed downtown in major cities and the noise drives me nuts even from 30+ floors up

I've lived fewer than 2 blocks away from the Victoria police station for nearly 20 years and I sleep like a baby at night, even with the windows open in the summer. However, when I visit family in the boondocks up island, the night time silence keeps me awake.  

#39 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

There you go. The two types of personal living style. Some find city noises a comforting background sound that they can tune out. Others will become upset with many sounds they can hear from the streets. Some love the quiet of the bucolic setting, while others lie awake and listen to the noises in their heads. Takes all kinds, eh? 

• Mike K., Nparker and RoadRunner like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#40 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

I've lived fewer than 2 blocks away from the Victoria police station for nearly 20 years and I sleep like a baby at night, even with the windows open in the summer. However, when I visit family in the boondocks up island, the night time silence keeps me awake.  

but you don't live downtown

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)