BUILT
The Pearl Residences
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1628 Store Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: now selling
The Pearl Residences is an eight-storey condominium proposal situated along the 1600-block of Store Street in ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Pearl Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Pearl Residences | Condos; commercial | 8-storeys | Built completed in 2023

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#101 darlenet8

darlenet8
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

No. There is no connection. Prior to confirming the project name, we recognized an existing building was called The Pearl. The existing building was seen as being significantly different in both style and location and one with a limited to non-existing marketing profile, that we made the decision to carry forward with The Pearl Residences. This name, for a variety of reasons, was just too perfect to dissuade us easily.
  • Mike K., Nparker and grantpalin like this

#102 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

^There are two Chelsea buildings within walking distance: the newer Fairfield condo and the downtown apartment building full of stories.

• Nparker and darlenet8 like this

#103 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

No. There is no connection. Prior to confirming the project name, we recognized an existing building was called The Pearl. The existing building was seen as being significantly different in both style and location and one with a limited to non-existing marketing profile, that we made the decision to carry forward with The Pearl Residences. This name, for a variety of reasons, was just too perfect to dissuade us easily.

Thanks for the clarification!

#104 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

Approved by Design Panel this afternoon.

• Nparker likes this

#105 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

What about Northern Junk?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#106 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

I wasn't able to stick around, unfortunately. 

#107 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

ADP liked how the harbour pathway preserved the shoreline by placing the walkway overtop of it rather than building a retaining wall like the Janion.

The only complaint I heard was minor concerns about the division of the public/private realm, like where the retaining walls are placed and ensuring good public access is balanced with resident privacy. Always an issue with these mixed use developments.

Edited by Rob Randall, 25 April 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

What’s new here?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#109 darlenet8

darlenet8
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

What’s new here?

We got a positive response from the Heritage Advisory Panel last week. This means the planner assigned, Miko Betanzo, will now prepare a report to Committee Of The Whole. The typical process (although not TECHNICALLY required) provides an opportunity for public comment after COTW.

If our application does NOT get on the August 9th COTW meeting the next one after that is September 6th.  I understand, Council will likely make their final decision following the opportunity for public comment on the same night.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

Thanks, Darlene.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#111 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

City favours new condos on difficult downtown Victoria lot

http://www.timescolo...-lot-1.23336780

A proposed seven-storey, 132-unit residential building to be “squeezed” onto a parking lot between the Mermaid Wharf and the Janion buildings will go forward for public comment.

Councillors at committee Thursday unanimously approved issuing the development permit subject to an opportunity for public comment….

Attached Images

• Pearl.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#112 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

...the architecture should send the message that it is the foreground for Old Town and Chinatown, a National Historic Site.

She said a darker cladding might help make the project “much more harmonious as part of the greater whole.”

read full article at the Times-Colonist...

It's Friday so the old town and Chinatown are all about dark buildings.

• Nparker likes this

#113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:59 AM

Once again I am in disagreement with Pam Madoff (surprise, surprise). There is no good reason for the waterfront facade of this project to be dark and heavy. 

...When we look at these three buildings, I still am of the view that the most successful approach to a building on the waterfront adjacent to Old Town has been the Mermaid Wharf approach in terms of its architectural detailing...

Well that's ONE opinion, but I don't happen to feel it is true. IMHO, the waterfront side of the Janion is far more appealing than the heavier, brick face of Mermaid Wharf. 
1622-1628-store-st.jpg
Can we please stick a fork in Pam's time on council. She is more than done.

#114 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

What's there even to discuss on this one from a public hearing perspective? This is the type of project the city should be streamlining approvals on. 

• Nparker, grantpalin and tjv like this

#115 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

What's there even to discuss on this one from a public hearing perspective? This is the type of project the city should be streamlining approvals on. 

This one has variances, so there's a legal requirement to notify the public and allow time for public comment.

#116 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:34 AM

I would blanket up-zone areas of potential redevelopment to limit the instance of variances. 

#117 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

...the waterfront side of the Janion is far more appealing than the heavier, brick face of Mermaid Wharf.

I like that pic because all three buildings are different. I've ranted and raved for years about this misconception that the old town is supposed to be about blandness and drabness and sameness. It's a notion that was plucked out of thin air*, and it became self-fulfilling as one-by-one many of the finest old buildings were demolished or otherwise stripped of their detail and grandeur after WW2.

*I'm 98% convinced that this hang-up is seated in some sort of collective community memory re: the supposed shame and humiliation of being "overtaken" by Vancouver, but I digress.

• Nparker, jonny and grantpalin like this

#118 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

What's there even to discuss on this one from a public hearing perspective? ..

It allows the folks in Pam's beloved Mermaid Wharf to publicly decry the destruction of their way of life. Apparently many of them felt the adjacent property was going to remain a parking lot forever.

• jonny likes this

#119 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

I like that pic because all three buildings are different.

The walkway looks good, and it all seems to come together and work. Doesn't look like Vancouver, doesn't look like North Vancouver or New West, doesn't look like Kelowna. It's a uniquely Victorian urban scene, and thus there must be something wrong with it. The middle building isn't dark enough, that's it.

#120 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:50 AM

There was no enthusiasm for Mermaid Wharf when it was proposed. Some odds comments in the local media re: why do they want to build a residential building there?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users