Photo

YouTube videos

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

For times when YouTube videos are difficult to get working on this forum, try posting the description on this thread.

In this example notice how the crossing barriers did not come down until AFTER the train went through. What if the truck had been a schoolbus?

Cut and paste into Google

Police Dashcam Footage Captures Train Crashing Into FedEx Truck ...

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:31 AM

Why did the cop stop?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:36 AM

Here's another one that is interesting. We recently had a similar mishap right here in Victoria.

Cut and paste into Google....you get the idea.

The Definitive 11Foot8 Bridge Crash Compilation

Edited by Bingo, 28 January 2018 - 06:38 AM.

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

Why did the cop stop?

He didn't need to get to the other side.

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:42 AM

Here's another one that is interesting. We recently had a similar mishap right here in Victoria.

Cut and paste into Google....you get the idea.

The Definitive 11Foot8 Bridge Crash Compilation

In most cases the trucks just need to be going a bit faster and they would get all the way through.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:23 AM

Faster trucks is the key to safer roads. If all trucks went 20,000 mph their chance of hitting anything would be minute.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 January 2018 - 07:23 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:43 PM

YouTube says the feds in Canada want to manipulate video feeds according to CRTC desires: https://blog.google/...-youtube-yours/

Look at the last line in the quote. I wasn’t aware until today:

In its current form, Bill C-11 would require YouTube to manipulate these systems, and surface content according to the CRTC’s priorities, rather than the interests of Canadian users. Put into practice, this means that when viewers come to the YouTube homepage, they’re served content that a Canadian Government regulator has prioritized, rather than content they are interested in.
When users are recommended content that is not personally relevant, they react by tuning out - skipping the video, abandoning the video, or even giving it a ‘thumbs down’. When our Search and Discovery systems receive these signals, they learn that this content is not relevant or engaging for viewers, and then apply this on a global scale. This means that globally, Canadian creators will have a harder time breaking through and connecting with the niche audiences who would actually love their content. That directly hits the bottom line of Canadian creators, making it harder for them to build a sustainable business.
In the spring we saw tens of thousands of Canadian creators raise their voices to share their concerns, but their concerns were not addressed. What’s more, millions of Canadians aren’t even aware of the bill, or that their online experience could potentially change.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:06 PM

Canada: the China of the West

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:10 PM

Google and youtube search results and recommendations have generally been laughable inversions of what you yourself are actually looking for since I don't know when... at least ~2015 or thereabouts? It's like an inverse profiling. Whatever you don't want, whatever you don't need, whatever you aren't interested in and couldn't possibly be interested based on your browsing habits, purchase history, etc. is what they serve you.

#10 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:44 PM

YouTube says the feds in Canada want to manipulate video feeds according to CRTC desires: https://blog.google/...-youtube-yours/

Look at the last line in the quote. I wasn’t aware until today:

Wouldn't the CRTC put Canadian content first?  I'm not understanding why it'll be harder for Canadians?  If anything we will see more won't we?

PS Ah so are they saying that Canadians will be getting more Canadian content initially that perhaps Canadians will skip (or thumbs down) and this will, globally, make the content shown less often around the world due to the bad votes from Canadians?  Is that it?

Edited by Ismo07, 30 November 2022 - 03:52 PM.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:52 PM

Google and youtube search results and recommendations have generally been laughable inversions of what you yourself are actually looking for since I don't know when... at least ~2015 or thereabouts? It's like an inverse profiling. Whatever you don't want, whatever you don't need, whatever you aren't interested in and couldn't possibly be interested based on your browsing habits, purchase history, etc. is what they serve you.

Mine is spectacularly good at video suggestions. Granted, I don’t care to get too political on that platform.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:29 PM

Mine is spectacularly good at video suggestions. Granted, I don’t care to get too political on that platform.

Yeah mines good too.  I just think all that will happen is we will see more Canadian content.  For whatever reason Youtube maybe doesn't want to do it, but I don't really see the "it will harm Canadian artists" angle.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:45 PM

I suspect that it will lead to more disliked content, and it’ll have adverse effects on how Canadian content is served to international audiences.

The algorithm forcing content it knows you won’t watch mucks up the whole thing, and I think Google understands by now that if people lose interest in what is being suggested, they switch streaming services.

Know it all.

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 06:11 PM

You're saying youtube is good at suggesting things you might actually be interested in, that reflect your actual viewing habits?

I would say many of my video recommendations are ridiculous, they're so obviously not what I would want to be looking at. Put it another way: I'm watching videos about fertilizing lawns but they're recommending videos about replacing lawns with gravel. I'm watching videos about travel destinations but they're recommending videos about personal travel's harmful impact on the environment. Those examples are for illustrative purposes only, but you get my point. The "suggestions" are often clumsily obvious attempts at redirection. I'm watching a video that's very critical of Mike K., but my top recommended video is called "Ten Reasons Why Mike K. Is Awesome".

Web ads in general are also very curious things. I can spend weeks intensely searching on a particular project, watching videos, reading advice blogs and message boards, and making online purchases of related supplies and/or equipment... and yet I NEVER see an ad related to what I'm doing. When I say "never", I mean absolutely never. Like not even one time will I see a relevant advertisement related to the thing that has been dominating my online activities for weeks or months in a row. But I'll see recurring ads seemingly trying to tempt me into all sorts of unrelated directions.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:36 PM

It could be your privacy, cache and IP settings.

I’m quite impressed with how the algorithm can figure out things I’d like to watch.

Also, the music app from YouTube is great at creating playlists. Miles ahead of Apple’s music player.

Know it all.

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:46 PM

I use YouTube for music while I am working in the Garagemahal. Their formula works quite well. It’s always interesting to see what they will come up with next.

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:48 AM

Yes the YouTube music app is pretty smart.

#18 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:52 AM

I suspect that it will lead to more disliked content, and it’ll have adverse effects on how Canadian content is served to international audiences.

The algorithm forcing content it knows you won’t watch mucks up the whole thing, and I think Google understands by now that if people lose interest in what is being suggested, they switch streaming services.

But if it's disliked enough then it's not good, that's how it works.  I'm not sure it's a bad thing...

You're saying youtube is good at suggesting things you might actually be interested in, that reflect your actual viewing habits?

I would say many of my video recommendations are ridiculous, they're so obviously not what I would want to be looking at. Put it another way: I'm watching videos about fertilizing lawns but they're recommending videos about replacing lawns with gravel. I'm watching videos about travel destinations but they're recommending videos about personal travel's harmful impact on the environment. Those examples are for illustrative purposes only, but you get my point. The "suggestions" are often clumsily obvious attempts at redirection. I'm watching a video that's very critical of Mike K., but my top recommended video is called "Ten Reasons Why Mike K. Is Awesome".

Web ads in general are also very curious things. I can spend weeks intensely searching on a particular project, watching videos, reading advice blogs and message boards, and making online purchases of related supplies and/or equipment... and yet I NEVER see an ad related to what I'm doing. When I say "never", I mean absolutely never. Like not even one time will I see a relevant advertisement related to the thing that has been dominating my online activities for weeks or months in a row. But I'll see recurring ads seemingly trying to tempt me into all sorts of unrelated directions.

Maybe add a few more favourited channels, that might help it along a little more.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:28 PM

Not that it’s disliked per se, it’s just not as good a fit for the viewer as another video would have been.

Their goal is close to 100% consumption of suggested content. If it falls to 70% due to forced content that’s going to lead to less satisfaction. That’s YouTube’s concern.

Know it all.

#20 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:59 PM

Not that it’s disliked per se, it’s just not as good a fit for the viewer as another video would have been.

Their goal is close to 100% consumption of suggested content. If it falls to 70% due to forced content that’s going to lead to less satisfaction. That’s YouTube’s concern.

Canadian content would still be available all over the world...  I don't see that as a great argument for this particular issue.  Canadian content is typically good enough for Canadians as we have so many cultures here.  I'm sure the algorithm can have some adjustments to overcome this.  I think they are concerned about other things.  Not sure they are altruistic here either.  Do CBC shows suffer that fate?  Good ones find there way out to the world.

Edited by Ismo07, 01 December 2022 - 01:00 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users