Alberta and BC politics

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#341 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:49 AM

As Adam S. said on CFAX this morning, the only thing rising in the polls is the pipeline's popularity.  :banana:  All the politicians involved are going down as they squabble.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 April 2018 - 08:50 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#342 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

Anyway... this pipeline thing is giving me aggressive and violent tendencies towards classmates, and I'm tending to hide under tables and growl, have trouble sleeping, and I'm experiencing nightmares about wolves and werewolves.

Anybody know of a good alternate remedy?

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#343 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

I'll get you my quack...errrmmmm...naturopath's contact info. 

#344 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

Hypocrisy is simply a synonym for NDP.

Interesting point Adam brought up this morning on CFAX. If BC keeps badgering KM so they don't go forward at May 31 it may trigger a NAFTA challenge which at this critical juncture of NAFTA negotiations may drag in the orange chimp and he's not afraid of throwing a spanner in the works. 

#345 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:22 AM

Hypocrisy is simply a synonym for NDP.

Interesting point Adam brought up this morning on CFAX. If BC keeps badgering KM so they don't go forward at May 31 it may trigger a NAFTA challenge which at this critical juncture of NAFTA negotiations may drag in the orange chimp and he's not afraid of throwing a spanner in the works. 

TM is not in the United States' interest, though. Right now they are importing Canadian oil at a steep discount for their own domestic use, and exporting a good chunk of their own oil to the global market. They're making a killing off of Canada, and anything that reduces or eliminates the discount on Canadian oil threatens those American profits.

• rjag likes this

#346 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

People on the left who hate Trump should love the Trans Mountain Expansion. 

Currently we are giving the United States upwards of a $20 per barrel discount on the sale of our crude because we only have one export market. (Imagine that, the country with the third largest known oil reserves on the planet only has one foreign customer, but I digress...)

• VicHockeyFan, rjag and Daveyboy like this

#347 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

We export about 3,000,000 barrels per day of crude oil, almost all of which goes to the United States. We basically write them a cheque every day worth tens of millions of dollars. Every. Day. To the richest country on the world. The richest country in the world has cheap fuel partly because Canadians essentially subsidize American petroleum consumption.

Let's please stop wondering why it's so much cheaper to fuel up our gas tanks when we visit the states. 

• rjag, Daveyboy and Jackerbie like this

#348 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,155 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

Where is the leader of our provincial opposition party on this mess? Have I missed his position on this topic? Wouldn't this be an opportune time to take a stand?

I can't even remember his name.
  • lanforod and Wayne like this

#349 LJ

LJ
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:01 PM

Wilkinson, Andrew.

He will just let the clowns play out their parts and then move in for the kill.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#350 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

Indeed, the Liberals have been very quiet.  Bit odd since they won the election, after all. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#351 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:27 AM

Attached Images

• C194D715-2A6E-4ECA-B2CD-5269BCD0774B.jpeg

• rjag, LJ, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#352 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:47 AM

Quebec might want to rethink its position in the pipeline debate.

“But Hydro-Québec’s expansion won’t come easy. It has met fierce environmental resistance by U.S. interest groups, First Nations and some municipal authorities, who say its proposed transmission lines would be disastrous for ecologically sensitive areas.” - http://business.fina...kets-for-growth

The province needs to start exporting electricity, and quickly, or residents will soon face spikes in hydro costs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#353 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:00 AM

http://theprovince.c...source=Facebook

Letters asking about the silence from Unions on this front compared to if it was the Liberals there would be full page ads complaining about the jobs not created etc...some fair points, the Unions are a bit too quiet on this....I guess they have been taken over by the SJW's as well....

#354 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:03 AM

Unions are quiet, the Liberals are quiet, the Alberta opposition is quiet, even local First Nations in support of the project aren’t saying much.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#355 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:20 AM

The majority in favour are quiet.  And those opposed have resorted to calling the polls inaccurate.

#356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

The Alberta opposition has now come out of hiding to label Notley's handling of the situation as amateur and a disservice to negotiations between governments and Kinder Morgan.

The opposition has pointed out Notley has already stated that Alberta will buy out the entire project if it has to, which has undermined bargaining opportunities for all involved.

Know it all.

#357 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

This letter to the editor from "Adam in Seattle" is making the rounds on social media today. 

IMG_20180419_083459.jpg

* I'm not sure the $100M per day figure is accurate, but the overall gist certainly is. 

• rjag likes this

#358 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

Unions are quiet, the Liberals are quiet, the Alberta opposition is quiet, even local First Nations in support of the project aren’t saying much.

I don't agree that they have been quiet. Kenney has been all over Notley. Guys like Adam Stirling and Charles Adler have had many guests. I heard Andrew Wilkinson on the radio the other day. Ellis Ross, the critic for Natural Gas and Petroleum Resources, has been quite vocal as well. 

Look, I think the court of public opinion piece is more or less over and done with. The reality of the situation is that this thing is going to the courts. That's how these types of disputes are definitely solved in a civil society.

Now, does BC quiet down when their mysterious "reference question" is answered? Hopefully, but probably not. Their strategy likely is to try and litigate this thing to death.

The ultimate adjudication happens in the next major elections (Federal, Alberta and BC). If the economy tanks, housing construction falters, LNG is delayed and the pipeline is successfully blocked, Horgan will have hell to pay at the polls, IMO.

#359 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

Compared to how Andrew Scheer is calling out Trudeau every single day, they've been quiet.

#360 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

No ads, no declarations. The odd radio interview or statement doesn’t enter into the equation if folks relatively plugged in aren’t noticing it. In some circles for sure there’s chatter but while Unifor is blasting Trump in radio ads, they’re silent on the pipeline. That’s so bizarre it’s almost as though they’re ...playing politics.

But it’s definitely for the best. Let the three parties sink their own ships.

Horgan is the most disliked politician in Canada. Trudeau is just Trudeau itching to get this term over with so he can go surfing. And Notley has killed her chance at reelection.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users