Community rallies to try to save Pages Used Book in Brentwood Bay

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

This is quite a nice write-up on a GoFundMe campaign...

The owner is heartbroken. This quaint little book shop has been a part of the Brentwood Bay community for over 30 years, and without significant support, Pages Used Books will be shut down permanently. Little independently-run shops like this are what make villages a magical place, and losing this book store would leave a hole in the fabric of our community. Book stores are still releavant, and with people realizing the perils of increased screen time, the pendulum is swinging back.

This fundraiser is first and foremost about helping the owner, Max, who has fallen on hard times after giving everything to try to save his beloved shop, including his life savings. Once money is raised to help the owner get back on his feet, further donations will be used to help get Pages back up and running. This includes funds for the first few months of rent, as well as buying inventory back (he is currently locked out of the shop). A local businessman has also donated his time to create an online advertising campaign to help Pages increase its customer base and help make it more viable.

MORE:   https://www.gofundme.../savepagesbooks

Store write-up:   http://www.victorias...ges-used-books/

• RFS likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

Have we seen a successful gofundme campaign that actually helped a business get back up on its feet and remain operational for more than a month of two?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

I'm not too sure we have...

But this one seems to have an alright story, and if the online helps is genuine and ongoing, maybe there is chance.  Also, the owner could probably use some recurring decent donations of quality re-sellable books.  He might want to humbly ask that of his patrons and their families.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users