Photo

AlertReady emergency warning system

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

Important to note that not all phones are compatible with the Ready Alert system. If you have a compatible device, it must be connected to an LTE network when the alert is sent, and have the Cell/Mobile Broadcast function enabled (I think it is enabled by default, but it can be disabled)

I received the alert on the Fido (aka Rogers) network.

My brother and I have the exact same phone bought at the exact same time on the exact same network and I know I never touched cell/mobile broadcast and I kinda doubt he did but I got it and he didn't. As VHF said though, I don't think it's as needed now.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

The benefit of the alert system (I think) is it can prioritize network traffic to ensure the alerts get through over top of everyone trying to browse Twitter and Facebook each other asking if they can see the wave.

That's going to happen after the alert though, people freaking.  And it'll be overwhelmed by the 99% of the people that are in absolutely no danger of the tsunami, but got the alert.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Important to note that not all phones are compatible with the Ready Alert system. If you have a compatible device, it must be connected to an LTE network when the alert is sent, and have the Cell/Mobile Broadcast function enabled (I think it is enabled by default, but it can be disabled)

I received the alert on the Fido (aka Rogers) network.

Looks like I need a Samsung S7(and up). If I upgrade is there still a risk of my phone exploding?

Edited by todd, 09 May 2018 - 01:38 PM.

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#24 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

Looks like I need a Samsung S7(and up). If I upgrade is there still a risk of my phone exploding?

You'll have to weigh those odds.... cellphone exploding, or missing a tsunami warning?

#25 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

One could argue that the fact that we all have mobile phones now is a reason we do not need this type of wide alert.  We are all gonna text each other anyway.

On the news the other day, the spokesperson said the main dangers in our area are:

• extreme weather
  • tsunami
  • earthquake
  • wildfire

I'm not sure what good this system is for #1 or #4.  Those ones we can see well ahead.  #3, it's too late anyway, we will feel it if it's serious.  And #2 affects a tiny, tiny, tiny portion of the population.  No point sending thousands up to Mt. Tolmie again.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-deal-1.4654576

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

But it’s been made pretty clear to us, there is little you can do to reduce your exposure to a nuclear crisis. No point for a warning.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

You'll have to weigh those odds.... cellphone exploding

It might happen anyway.

#28 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

But it’s been made pretty clear to us, there is little you can do to reduce your exposure to a nuclear crisis. No point for a warning.

Somebody has to be on the edge of the blast radius. Probably survivable in 20%* of the blast radius especially if you have a chance to duck and cover.

Others outside the blast radius should be taking a potassium iodide**, face mask, turning off ventilation systems, taping up windows, etc

*VHF

**Speak with your doctor

Edited by todd, 09 May 2018 - 02:13 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#29 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

Geez, I didn't even know my phone would make that noise.

Everybody around me was looking at me like I was going to explode.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

Oh yeah, when it went off it was something else. I had misplaced my phone at the time and the noise helped me find it, lol!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

Wonder why I didn't get it.  Do you have to sign up somewhere?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#32 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

Have you been good all yearlong?

Edited by todd, 09 May 2018 - 04:58 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:26 PM

You have to be a Trump supporter, or at least a Doug Ford fan if you want to be saved.  I got an alert since I had signed up as a Conservative to support Kevin O'Leary.

• lanforod likes this

#34 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

Yup I have a S-S A5 Galaxy and its also not on the Koodo supported list so I'm in the same boat.

Interesting "disaster" list; I've been involved in several major IT audits since 2006 across four organizations in four different industries, in both the private and public sectors, engaging both Canadian and US audit-security experts and all of them - without exception, particularly the Americans - all identified another threat not mentioned on that list: it's 3500 meters high and most of time sits quietly and placidly ~ 300 km to our east north-east, more often than not framing the background of countless tourist pictures. And that of course would be Mt. Baker.

• todd likes this

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

Mr. Baker?  Is he a conservative? 

Seriously though, if Baker blows up, what are we looking at?  An ash cloud, how does that affect us?  And I mean if it's kind of localized.  If it's the largest volcanic eruption in the world in 70,000 years I can see the problem.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 May 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#36 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

Seriously though, if Baker blows up, what are we looking at?  An ash cloud, how does that affect us?  And I mean if it's kind of localized.  If it's the largest volcanic eruption in the world in 70,000 years I can see the problem.  

Ask the good folks who lived near Mt St Helen's in 1980. Can't believe you seriously asked that question. Go check out the video of that eruption to see how a major eruption affected them, or study some the scientific literature surrounding the effect on buildings and humans of the Pompeii eruptions. How does it affect us....really? 

With the wind blowing in the right/"wrong" direction insofar as the south island is concerned we would be Ground Zero in a major protracted volcanic event precipitated by Mt Baker. And all of the IT audit-security experts I engaged with, some of them from DND in Ottawa with world class geo-spatial, satellite and other related expertise as well as ex-US military now specializing in securing and hardening of corporate IT infrastructures, all agree on that fact. 

Edited by AllseeingEye, 09 May 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

I mean St. Helen’s was major only hyper locally.

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

A Mt. Baker explosion for us would be similar to a bad day in Beijing: children and people with respiratory problems stay indoors etc.

And cover your car--that stuff's like cement dust, it'll ruin the finish.

#39 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

Nothing received on my BlackBerry :/  I also don't bother with LTE because it makes my clock radio buzz annoyingly.  I'll drown in the Tsunami.

Lots of people don't bother with LTE to preserve battery life. They drown in the Tsunami.

How do you not bother with LTE?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#40 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

https://www.youtube....UJ2o?start=6746

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users