BUILT
Pearl Block
Use: townhome
Address: 2910 Shelbourne Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Pearl Block is an eight-unit townhomes development along the 2900-block of Shelbourne Street near Pearl Street... (view full profile)
Learn more about Pearl Block on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oaklands] Pearl Block | Townhouses | 3-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

- Six townhouses

- 1300-1800sq.ft

- Killer design

- Going to CoTW on April 12th

- Staff is recommending denial  :squint:

We'll see how it goes!

SHELBOURNE - Aerial.jpg SHELBOURNE - Streetview.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

...Staff is recommending denial...

Reasons?

#3 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Reasons?

Doesn't orient to the street enough, too close to the south PL (even though that neighbour supports), too many blank walls facing north (at the request of the neighbours), and that it will have a large parking area.

#4 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:46 PM

I like the design!

It seems to orient to the street more than the complex to the north. Also given this is fairly busy Shelbourne more people are going to want to be insulated from the street rather than oriented to the street.

• Nparker likes this

#5 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

Yah, not a fan at all for the con reasons given. Looks like the Tyee co-op disaster, this won’t age well either.

The picture below must be enhanced because in person it looks like a craptastic moldy storage locker complex from the 1970s.

http://www.kerkhoff....or-internet.jpg

Photo from Kerhoff Construction

Edited by zoomer, 06 April 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#6 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,230 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:04 PM

I think the diagonal is clever and the design elegant, minimal yet inviting.
  • Nparker likes this

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

I like it. I would live in one but probably not on Shelbourne.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

Yah, not a fan at all for the con reasons given. Looks like the Tyee co-op disaster, this won’t age well either.

The picture below must be enhanced because in person it looks like a craptastic moldy storage locker complex from the 1970s.

http://www.kerkhoff....or-internet.jpg

Photo from Kerhoff Construction

Disagree, the Tyee townhouses by Arthur Erickson are amazing. What they suffer from is a lack of maintenance. Our project on Shelbourne is trying to use conventional materials in a contemporary form on a very challenging property. With it being a market strata project, we would hope the maintenance would be more prescribed then the co-op on Tyee.

• Nparker likes this

#9 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Disagree, the Tyee townhouses by Arthur Erickson are amazing. What they suffer from is a lack of maintenance. Our project on Shelbourne is trying to use conventional materials in a contemporary form on a very challenging property. With it being a market strata project, we would hope the maintenance would be more prescribed then the co-op on Tyee.

Tyee suffers from more than a lack of maintenance. Admittedly I'm not a big fan of Erickson, look at the disaster below. This backside actually has the best views from the little hill it's perched on, but it's clearly afraid of the outside world. Double garage - is there any unique feature on this side.. yes, giant blank squares on the top floor making the remaining window space as tiny as possible! Yes it was a product of it's time, but why should we go back to this now!? So many of Erickson's buildings were bleak, depressing giants.. they remind me of the grey depressing Vancouver winters where everything is covered in mildew.

Looking at the Pearl design, I was a bit harsh, I do really like the rooftops, would love to see more of that - although I can see drainage/water issues being more prevalent. The offset design is nice, but just like Tyee I don't like how it throws giant blank walls at the world, plus the large parking area.

4302824381_5fc15ec612_b.jpg

Edited by zoomer, 07 April 2018 - 08:36 PM.

#10 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,230 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

I know what you mean about Tyee. I’ve always struggled with those because I see the design behind them but they still look like crap. Interesting that they were designed by AE. It all makes sense now. The issue with them isn’t so much the “blank walls”. Privacy is also a consideration so sometimes a blank wall makes sense. With the Tyee co-op the design is minimal in nature and relies heavily on the materials used so the lack of maintenance has a huge effect. Redo the surfaces on them and they could shine. Glass patio railing, new cedar siding, refinish the stucco and some sexy garage doors and you have something else entirely.

I think I this design looks like a more refined version of this similar principle.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

Weren’t they remediated not that long ago?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,230 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

Probably just the inside

#13 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:14 PM

What do you do as a developer when the staff recommend denial? Does that influence your decision on whether you go back to the drawing board or not before going to council?

Also, are you allowed to meet up with councillors to get their opinion? 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#14 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

What do you do as a developer when the staff recommend denial? Does that influence your decision on whether you go back to the drawing board or not before going to council?

Also, are you allowed to meet up with councillors to get their opinion? 

It is a tough one but overall it depends on what the issues are and if there is room to work with Staff. On particular file, we just reached an impasse that we couldn't overcome as if we complied, it would put us at odds with the neighbours. So we'd rather go to Council with community, rather then staff support. 

Yes, it is common practice to have a dialogue with members of Council regarding anything coming before them however they don't give any promises regarding their vote which is understandable. 

• Mike K. likes this

#15 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Just so I am clear, on what basis do staff typically recommend or deny.  I thought it would be on the basis of consistency with OCPs, neighbourhood plans, and of course designations and bylaws.

Do staff also make recommendations based on more "subjective" design elements - such as "doesn't orient to the street" well enough.  If so, then I think that is fine and likely a valuable role....but I don't know.

#16 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Just so I am clear, on what basis do staff typically recommend or deny.  I thought it would be on the basis of consistency with OCPs, neighbourhood plans, and of course designations and bylaws.

Do staff also make recommendations based on more "subjective" design elements - such as "doesn't orient to the street" well enough.  If so, then I think that is fine and likely a valuable role....but I don't know.

Depends what the application is. If it's a rezoning application, staff will comment on consistency with the OCP, neighbourhood plans, policies, bylaws etc etc. Design may factor in, but usually only those design aspects found in the zoning bylaw. If it's a development permit application, that is 100% design, based on whatever design guidelines are contained in the OCP, neighbourhood plans, etc.

#17 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:07 AM

Thanks Jackerbie...and just to confirm this is currently an application for rezoning? Sorry, new to understanding local processes for development so bare with me.

#18 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

I believe that it is a rezoning application? Victoria may sequence things differently than how I'm used to here in Richmond, so they might do both the rezoning and development permit concurrently.

#19 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

Depends what the application is. If it's a rezoning application, staff will comment on consistency with the OCP, neighbourhood plans, policies, bylaws etc etc. Design may factor in, but usually only those design aspects found in the zoning bylaw. If it's a development permit application, that is 100% design, based on whatever design guidelines are contained in the OCP, neighbourhood plans, etc.

Uhhh try the Buildings, Signs, and Awnings Bylaw circa 1981, pretty hard to make 2018 development work with a document that is older then I am...

#20 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

It seems less like remediation and more like piecemeal patch work.  Over the past 5 years or so, some of the balconies have been upgraded, some of the interiors have been reno'd, some of the exterior has been 'fixed'... l've never actually been inside of one of the units, but judging from the state of the exterior, l'd guess there are some serious mold issues throughout the whole complex.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users