PROPOSED
800-block of Broughton Street, condominium
Use: condo
Address: 800-block Broughton Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 26
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 1BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
A 26-storey condominium tower is proposed between the 800 blocks of Broughton and Courtney streets in the City... (view full profile)
Learn more about 800-block of Broughton Street, condominium on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Downtown Victoria Y - YMCA | Condos, rentals | 26, 11 storeys

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#81 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:53 PM

How far are we away from this project?  Like if everything goes smoothly...?

Edited by Ismo07, 15 March 2024 - 12:53 PM.

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:59 PM

...There's no sense to any of it.

You're just now figuring this out?

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,569 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:04 PM

That explains the Cathedral’s own tower plans.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,569 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:05 PM

How far are we away from this project? Like if everything goes smoothly...?

5-10 years, depending on what they build first.

I don’t think this fits within the Fairfield OCP. This lot in Fairfield, right?

Thanks for the heads-up, Kapten!
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:32 PM

On the plus side I would say the diagonal laneway could be very pleasant. And even though we would seem to be flirting with disaster by putting an open corner space immediately adjacent to yet another open corner space on the other side of Courtney, I nevertheless think it could be successful, mainly because of the uniqueness of the T-intersection and the way everything terminates/culminates up against the exceptional presence of the cathedral building itself. But methinks we should always be keeping in mind Concert's open space down on Humboldt Street. It hasn't exactly been a home run. It's certainly not awful or anything like that, but I doubt anyone would claim that it's been a great success, either.

• Nparker and Ismo07 like this

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:33 PM

I'm not anti-highrise (spoiler alert). And I would even say the laneway and large open square necessitate some height above and beyond the expected 10-12 story range. This concept probably wouldn't work at all if the surrounding buildings were very short. But how much height would be too much? No limit? Then why stop at 26 stories? On what basis are we making the determination that this height is fine and good?

#87 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:33 PM

In terms of the massing I would say the tall tower is surprisingly wide as shown in the east-west illustration on page 18 of their document. For that much height I would expect it to be more slender or at least incorporate some setbacks on the highest levels. I don't like the inelegant blockiness of the building's top. It reminds me of Yates on Yates and Vivid. The design of buildings like Promontory, Legato, or 989 Johnson culminates at the very top with some indication of a deliberate finish. I would prefer to see something like that happening here as well. It doesn't need to be as bold a statement as the crest on top of HP1. Just some kind of finish rather than a straight chop.

• Nparker likes this

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:44 PM

In terms of the overall design I'd say the mix of brick cladding with a modern esthetic looks decent and not inappropriate for the location. The podium levels look good. But my palms are already sweaty re: the seemingly excessive amounts of plain panels on the tower levels of both buildings. In this regard the shorter building might actually make me even more nervous than the tall tower, as depicted on page 17 of their document. Plain panel box.

Seriously, what is the deal with the plain white/beige/grey panels on major new buildings? It's as if somebody at some level is intent on making those panels a signature element of Victoria's modern architecture.

When large amounts of cladding panels are being used on an exceptional major project such as this, I think the time has come when we should expect some or even all of the panels to have a tone/texture/finish/arrangement that puts them at least a grade above standard-issue. The step up can be subtle. I'm not talking about getting all crazy with wild colours and goofy-tastic patterns. I'm just asking for panels that have a wee bit more personality and/or distinction than the established bland standard.

--

That's my ten cents.

Edited by aastra, 15 March 2024 - 01:45 PM.

#89 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:47 PM

You're just now figuring this out?

No, I've been complaining about it for years. And yet here we are, facing the most absurd example of it thus far.

#90 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:54 PM

...what is the deal with the plain white/beige/grey panels on major new buildings...

They are a relatively cheap alternative to other cladding materials at the time of construction and require less maintenance over the life of a building. Victoria has become a city that values utilitarianism over aesthetics in its architecture. I am not sure this is something for which history will thank us.

#91 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:58 PM

You know, another piece of this big puzzle is the modern architecture destined for the cathedral block itself. Whatever they end up going with, I wouldn't want this Concert project across the street to resemble it. Otherwise we would have wasted a ton of time and effort re: putting extremely high expectations re: architectural sensitivity, distinctiveness, appropriateness on smaller projects like the Cherry Bank, the Chelsea, Escher, etc. only to eventually throw in the proverbial towel for major projects such as the ones currently in the works.

#92 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 02:04 PM

Architectural considerations from the past don't matter at all anymore since we are in a unique (lol) housing crisis.

Edited by Nparker, 15 March 2024 - 02:04 PM.

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,569 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 04:07 PM

Also, note the lack of retail space here, outside of a single small unit. There is simply too much retail square footage floating around right now and not enough people to keep it remotely viable. The only thing keeping some businesses solvent is the current high vacancy rate, literally.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#94 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 04:30 PM

I think it will be a long while - if ever - before there is a significant need for additional ground floor retail in most new residential development in the downtown core.

#95 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 05:51 PM

So did the Y ever confirm a new location? Did I miss that memo or is my senile old VV-forumer brain forgetting something?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 06:41 PM

So did the Y ever confirm a new location? Did I miss that memo or is my senile old VV-forumer brain forgetting something?

I'd answer that question, but your senile old VV-forumer brain would likely not remember.  ;) 

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,569 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 07:05 PM

Nope. But there is a theory they may go into the new Jawl tower at Cap 6.

Know it all.

#98 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 07:20 PM

...there is a theory...[the YMCA] may go into the new Jawl tower at Cap 6.

A sort of homecoming if it proves to be true.

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:17 PM

^You've seen this movie before?

So I'm just now realizing there would also be a separate 6-story building at 837 Broughton right beside the vehicle entrance for this project. A rather plain little residential building.

#100 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:26 PM

I'm going to say the plainer faces of these buildings could be much more interesting if they had a touch of interesting detail, something like those decorative trellis screens on the Woodward's tower. You don't need to go overboard and cover the whole darn thing. Just a vertical run here or there to make them a little less generic and/or a little more picturesque. A bunch of us could probably get together and slap them up in an afternoon.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users