Municipality Of Esquimalt Mayor & Council General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Yeah I dunno. I actually think the VicPD do a better job in Esquimalt than they do in Victoria. That said if RCMP is cheaper than great do that.

That John guy is running for fun and does not expect to win. Sorry but it’s gonna be Desjardins

Edit to say I have lived in a couple different Victoria neighbourhoods as well and police presence was nil

VicPD is stressed, for sure.

Esquimalt wears that in some ways but it’s not like the Esquimalt station is totally void of officers. They just prioritize calls as a larger force would.

Unless I’m mistaken, wasn’t it the province that forced amalgamation of the two forces?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

VicPD is stressed, for sure.

Esquimalt wears that in some ways but it’s not like the Esquimalt station is totally void of officers. They just prioritize calls as a larger force would.

Unless I’m mistaken, wasn’t it the province that forced amalgamation of the two forces?

Justice Minister Shirley Bond  forced the regionalization of VicPD to police Esquimalt against the will and decision of Barb Desjardins and Esquimalt Council who all voted to contract the RCMP.  It's sounds like TODAY Barb has changed her tune on the whole thing and is now in full support of it.  Article about it here https://www.vicnews....e-here-to-stay/

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:10 AM

I'll bet the mayor regrets this.

See top of page 20  https://www2.gov.bc....lt-policing.pdf

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#24 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

I'll bet the mayor regrets this.

See top of page 20  https://www2.gov.bc....lt-policing.pdf

Interesting read. It would have either been Mayor Ray Rice, or Mayor Darwin Robinson that agreed to the amalgamation of the two police departments in 2003 depending what time of year it happened. 2003 must have been an election year. Hard to believe it's 15 years already since the Esquimalt Police Department became non-existent. 

Based on that document, there were serious issues and problems that were seen and acknowledged right from the get go. Problems that have never been fixed or corrected in 15 years. From a financial and organizational approach the Amalgamation of Esquimalt police and VicPD has been a failure. About the ONLY thing I have ever agreed with when it comes to Desjardins was her persistence that  Esquimalt end the police amalgamation and instead contract with the RCMP. 

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 14 October 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#25 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:59 PM

One of the reasons the province really wanted a change to policing in Esquimalt was that they were the last combined fire and police department in BC, a rather odd set up that had major issues.   Esquimalt did agree to the amalgamation of the police forces, well not the amalgamation of the police forces really but the change of the Esquimalt force into a normal fire department with the Vic PD becoming the police force.

To be clear here, the status quo that Esquimalt had before 2003 was not an option.

When the renewal of the contract came the province seemed to indicate Esquimalt had some free will in what they, I assume this is because the province did not think any alternative would be seriously considered.   When it looked like Esquimalt was going to go with the RCMP the Vic PD was facing a very difficult financial future with the sudden loss of so much of their budget.   This is, I think, the reason the province stepped in and made Esquimalt continue with the Vic PD.

• 57WestHills likes this

#26 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

One of the reasons the province really wanted a change to policing in Esquimalt was that they were the last combined fire and police department in BC, a rather odd set up that had major issues.   Esquimalt did agree to the amalgamation of the police forces, well not the amalgamation of the police forces really but the change of the Esquimalt force into a normal fire department with the Vic PD becoming the police force.

To be clear here, the status quo that Esquimalt had before 2003 was not an option.

When the renewal of the contract came the province seemed to indicate Esquimalt had some free will in what they, I assume this is because the province did not think any alternative would be seriously considered.   When it looked like Esquimalt was going to go with the RCMP the Vic PD was facing a very difficult financial future with the sudden loss of so much of their budget.   This is, I think, the reason the province stepped in and made Esquimalt continue with the Vic PD.

A Big mistake by the BC Liberal Government.

Isn't Oak Bay police and Oak Bay Fire department still combined?

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 14 October 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#27 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

A Big mistake by the BC Liberal Government.

Isn't Oak Bay police and Oak Bay Fire department still combined?

as far as I know, they were never a combined department.   

#28 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:30 PM

Ah.....I see what you mean now.

I thought when you said combined that you meant  Police & Fire operated as one entity, but I think you were meaning police & Fire operating out of the same Building.

Oddly the Saanich police department and the main Saanich Fire department buildings are connected to each other as one elongated building. You can especially see it from the Back side of the department if you go down into the parking lot.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 14 October 2018 - 01:32 PM.

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

esq police and fire were one entity.members were cops and firemen.

#30 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

as far as I know, they were never a combined department.   

Yes, thats correct. The first Oak Bay Constabulary was founded in 1906 (Same date Oak Bay was incorporated) whereas the fire department was founded separately in 1937. Until then they relied solely on a contract with Victoria. 

#31 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:19 PM

Ah.....I see what you mean now.

I thought when you said combined that you meant  Police & Fire operated as one entity, but I think you were meaning police & Fire operating out of the same Building.

Oddly the Saanich police department and the main Saanich Fire department buildings are connected to each other as one elongated building. You can especially see it from the Back side of the department if you go down into the parking lot.

I did mean operated as a single entity.  Along with Esquimalt, Alberni and Port Coquitlam had something similar but their combined departments ended way back in the day.   Esquimalt was a long time oddity out of sync with everyone else.   

#32 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:17 AM

Hello my fellow E-town boys and girls,

While Esquimalt has been completely off the grid during this election campaign, please don't let this deter you from exercising  your democratic right to Vote for this wonderful municipality of ours with your conscious/conscience and bring CHANGE to city hall. Change that is long overdue. 

And just because Barb Desjardins has somehow been able to keep a low profile over the last few weeks over this whole Elsner Report.........she is just as guilty as Helps for LYING to the people of Esquimalt about her involvement with the case. Do you want a Mayor who is that disrespectful to you as her constituents, a Mayor has proven that she can't be trusted?  

Use a conscious approach today at your voting station and vote with your conscience

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 20 October 2018 - 05:21 AM.

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:45 PM

Results here tonight.

https://globalnews.c...-election-2018/

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#34 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:12 PM

Saw Candidates already taking their signs down around 7:30pm in Esquimalt.

#35 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:55 PM

desjardins has been re-elected

#36 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

desjardins has been re-elected

3 of the 4 Council Candidates that I voted for have been elected..........Not bad. Of course John Roe basically dropped out weeks ago so Desjardins literally went unchallenged.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 20 October 2018 - 07:57 PM.

#37 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

CTV is not posting any results for E-Town yet

https://bc.localelec...ts/index_m.html

#38 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

72-27 for desjardins and all incumbent councillors elected.

#39 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:13 PM

I’m happy with Esquimalt results. With Desjardins, Jacob Helliwell, Jane Vermeulen, and Ken Armour, that should be a fairly pro development council

#40 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:18 PM

I’m happy with Esquimalt results. With Desjardins, Jacob Helliwell, Jane Vermeulen, and Ken Armour, that should be a fairly pro development council

Desjardins is a disaster win, but like I said I got 3 of the council candidates that I voted for. So I got my new council change, but didn't get my new Mayor. 

She can't be trusted, and she proved this by Lying to us as her constituents....but that's how it goes.

New Council members are gonna give her a challenging 4 years.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 20 October 2018 - 08:19 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users