Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#1381 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2022 - 10:18 PM

Look at some of the candidate specific pages. Julia Alvarez for example: a priority is to turn front lawns into gardens...

#1382 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 10:31 PM

Better than turning them into multiplexes…
  • Daveyboy likes this

#1383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 10:36 PM

Apparently there’s a whole slate now called Viva Victoria and after reading their news page and candidate profiles, it’s a big no thank you from me....

Looks good to me. What’s the beef?

Look at some of the candidate specific pages. Julia Alvarez for example: a priority is to turn front lawns into gardens...

For a so-called slate of candidates, their beliefs and governance priorities are all over the map.

e.g. Jeremy Maddock seems almost like the polar opposite to Julia Alvarez

#1384 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:22 PM

For a so-called slate of candidates, their beliefs and governance priorities are all over the map.

there is a link between vivavictoria and this fellow

he is their Authorized Principal Official

https://johnrandalph....wordpress.com/

#1385 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:11 AM

there is a link between vivavictoria and this fellow

he is their Authorized Principal Official

https://johnrandalph....wordpress.com/

If he is representative of the slate's views that makes them a hard no for me.

#1386 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,086 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:20 AM

The slate already needs more transparency. Who is behind it?

TV had a board.
New Council was clearly driven by those candidates.

This new outfit is less clear.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 August 2022 - 02:22 AM.

#1387 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 04:12 AM

Yes, their statement of principles looks fine but the individual candidate pages reveal a completely different picture.  Mostly the usual rubbish - lawn gardens, tiny homes, etc.  Maddock at least says the right things but it’s hard to square that with the rest of the slate.  I also note that one of them has only lived here since September 2021.  Sounds like another Dubow situation.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1388 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 04:20 AM

Julia Alvarez:

Julia has had a variety of life and work experience in the private and public sector. A career in the travel and tourism industry, as a travel agent and an airport representative for domestic Charter airlines. Her flexible and adaptive nature also opened up opportunities in administrative work, and in manufacturing and construction work. She even went to Taos, New Mexico to learn about sustainable earthships (sustainably built homes made with a strong foundation of recycled tires).

She is currently working in a unionized job but also managed a small business for several years as an owner/operator of a 5-ton truck. In between all of that, she managed to raise three kids and be a proud stay-at-home mom, her best job ever.

https://vivavictoria.../julia-alvarez/

Not enough info there. What unionized job?

#1389 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:30 AM

Sounds perfect. A bunch of people with different opinions.
Jeremy Maddock Is suing Bonnie Henry over the mandates. He would get my vote for that reason alone. We need to disrupt the club, not fill it with new protégés.
  • All4Victoria likes this

#1390 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:38 AM

While I might be able to support Mr. Maddock for council, I can't see myself endorsing any others on this "slate".

#1391 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:40 AM

#nomercy

#1392 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:41 AM

I admit to not reading the profiles.

#1393 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 August 2022 - 07:24 AM

Maddock's profile does seem to say many of the right things. He may be too far into the anti-vaxxer, PPC side of things. That said, we need balance. Perhaps he'd be a good polar opposite of Isitt.

• dasmo and All4Victoria like this

#1394 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 07:35 AM

Association to the PPC is inevitable if you are fighting against mandates since that’s the sphere where that party targeted a foundational audience. My hope would be to see more independent individuals interested in fortifying our local needs vs people who’s loyalty lies elsewhere like to parties or NGOs or globalist ideologies.
  • All4Victoria likes this

#1395 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 07:55 AM

^Not to mention Vancouver, Cook, Wharf, Pandora and the other steaming messes in town.

Anyone I support will at minimum have to commit to revisiting these ghastly decisions and to upgrading the road maintenance on the arteries (e.g. downtown Blanshard.)  And I don’t want to hear anything about “climate change programs.”

A large portion was done this year and another portion, I think up to Johnson or Pandora will go through next year.

#1396 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:20 AM

Apparently there’s a whole slate now called Viva Victoria and after reading their news page and candidate profiles, it’s a big no thank you from me.

https://vivavictoria.ca/about/

I would suspect that with so many council seats opening up we will have 50+ candidate by the time everything is settled.

• Nparker likes this

#1397 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:27 AM

Every vote will count this election. The ranks could be so large that 5,000 votes takes it.
  • dasmo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1398 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:48 AM

Every vote will count this election. The ranks could be so large that 5,000 votes takes it.

Agreed and with so many candidates, voters may just pick a slate that they align with as opposed to trying to understand 50 individual platforms.

#1399 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:50 AM

And Isitt with his 18,000 votes.

#1400 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 09:22 AM

What is the deal with the cult of Isitt?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users