Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3901 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:05 AM

"In quarter four, Council directed staff to move forward on a number of climate actions in 2017, including creating a process and format for citizen-led Climate Ambassadors to provide input and inform development of the City’s climate leadership plan, and to take climate and sustainability action out into the community"

-2016 Operational Report

It's been around in theory for awhile but truly no less terrifying.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Hitler_Youth

#3902 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

Speaking of the city and it’s climate leadership... I don’t think this article has been brought up yet...

it’s another gem from David Broadland (thanks for your work David, if you’re reading this!).

How the city is fixing stats to fit their climate agenda. Geez....

https://www.focusonv...sions-count-r8/
  • NotHudsonMack likes this

#3903 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:49 PM

Does the city council receive a lunch break in addition to the catered lunches? And is this for every time they have day meetings? 

When I worked for the provincial government, catering was only ordered for meetings with working lunches and they were few and far between.  All of my meetings were during the day too.  I'm wondering who these other government bodies are that offer the same as what the Council members are receiving because I'd like to go work for them  :muching_out:

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#3904 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

Love Stephen Hammond's editorial in the Times Colonist today! hahaha, Loopeyville indeed!

• Nparker likes this

#3905 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

Does the city council receive a lunch break in addition to the catered lunches? And is this for every time they have day meetings? 

When I worked for the provincial government, catering was only ordered for meetings with working lunches and they were few and far between.  All of my meetings were during the day too.  I'm wondering who these other government bodies are that offer the same as what the Council members are receiving because I'd like to go work for them  :muching_out:

"........they have stressful jobs and don’t make a lot of money...."

(they don't make anywhere near what a provincial employee makes)

#3906 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

"........they have stressful jobs and don’t make a lot of money...."

(they don't make anywhere near what a provincial employee makes)

ya.  provincial employees are for the most part expected to work 35 or 37.5 or whatever hours.  and most of them do it in a controlled setting.  ie. they must attend the workplace for x hours per day.   

city councillors can work as many hours as they like where they like and all they are asked is to know the material and then show up to most meetings.  they can even skip some if they want.  they can take vacations and days off whenever they want.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 January 2020 - 03:53 PM.

• sukika likes this

#3907 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

It would be interesting to know which members of Council were forced against their will to take the job, and/or which ones were completely unaware of the remuneration the job pays before running for office.

• rmpeers likes this

#3908 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

Love Stephen Hammond's editorial in the Times Colonist today! hahaha, Loopeyville indeed!

I think that the practical answer is that we all know that 1 vote isn't going to change anything on council. If we want a change it is going to have to be in 2.5 years.

#3909 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

I think that the practical answer is that we all know that 1 vote isn't going to change anything on council. If we want a change it is going to have to be in 2.5 years.

True but it would be nice to have someone on council call out the antics of Loveday, Isitt, Helps etc. Maybe more voters would pay attention. I mean, free lunches??
  • Nparker likes this

#3910 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:55 PM

...i'm just saying...

https://www.history....kids-into-nazis

Edited by tommy, 18 January 2020 - 05:56 PM.

#3911 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

"....in keeping with Indigenous traditions."  Using First Nations traditions to prop up their argument for a free lunch is insensitive and offensive.  Just wow.  

I'm OK with it as long as they are eating bannock and pemmican.

• Love the rock likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3912 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

I'm OK with it as long as they are eating bannock and pemmican.

That they made themselves.

• Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#3913 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

That they made themselves.

If they really want to model conditions of the provincial government, their lunches could be potluck style with each person contributing a dish, oh and not being compensated for doing so.  I recall that was more in line with how staff lunches were handled when I worked with the province.  (Catered lunches were few and far between, typically only occurring for "working lunches" or specific conferences, in which case you forewent the associated per diem if you were travelling for the conference - again few and far between) 

• Nparker and sukika like this

#3914 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:09 AM

^That policy would likely be fine-tuned to the venue. Some offices have limited access to restaurants. City Hall has probably the most dining options nearby. But tricky if you only have a half hour.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#3915 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

Since council has admitted $10k isn't enough to cover the expenses, what's our guess going to be? $15,000, or thereabouts?

My questions are who decides which businesses are retained to provide the catering services, and how much is allocated per business, and whether there is a roving list of businesses that are asked to provide food?

• A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3916 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

...City Hall has probably the most dining options nearby. But tricky if you only have a half hour.

If there were only some method whereby one could call ahead and pre-order one's lunch.

#3917 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:46 AM

If there were only some method whereby one could call ahead and pre-order one's lunch.

Elucidate for me, sir, what you mean by "call ahead"--do you infer that one use a grand megaphone or such device to amplify one's voice?

• Mike K., Bernard, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#3918 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:54 AM

in bigger cities they have specific "pick-up" apps.  like delivery apps but just for pick-ups.

like https://www.ritual.co/

• Nparker likes this

#3919 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:58 AM

The question that needs to be asked is why the City of Victoria council has so many hours of meetings when other municipalities of the same population (and larger) meet for a lot fewer hours per week?   I think it is a case of council finding things to fill the time with.   

• NotHudsonMack, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#3920 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

^ 180 priorities and 500+ motions a year take time.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)