• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#21 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:39 AM

^lol, yeah!

Good ole' communism. Entice neighbours (innocent little kids, more like it) to spy on each other to ensure everyone is acting accordingly.

Like the old grandmothers in Soviet Russia that sit in the hallways of each floor and report you to the party if you leave a light on or drive to the store instead of biking

• Mike K. and mbjj like this

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:53 AM

get off my lawn.jpg

• Nparker and Laszlow like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:56 AM

You mean "Get the hell off my drought-tolerant, water permeable surface"  right?

• Mike K., rjag, Bernard and 3 others like this

#24 Laszlow

Laszlow
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

Yep ... Climate Ambassador Program. Local. Street by street.

Man, woman and child marauding the streets looking for our fellow citizens who are not following the party line. (Did you know that in East Berlin 1 out of 3 people were informants for the communists? That means in a family of 5 at least one was an informant.)

Me, being just an idiot who managed a company run out of a fairly prominent environmental biotech science lab at a major university and asked some of the dozen or so PhDs about this climate change or global warming ...

The eye rolls, the laughter and the ton of research papers piled on my desk that showed no correlation between C02 and climate and the "Please stand away from The Google." pleas. I got the drift.

I have read quite a bit on this courtesy the fine professors who tried to do anything in their power to get rid of me and stop me asking  these pedantic questions and have - as yet - not been able to find anything other than "The sky is falling" media reports and "for profic" and "for political gain" evidence.  Fossil fuels bad. Unicorns good rhetoric.

Should we use recources better? Yep.
Should we reduce waste? Yep.
Should we be a kinder and gentler citizen and treat the planet better. YES!

But this is simply a joke.

#25 Laszlow

Laszlow
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

I may try and move right downtown. I want to be on that Ambassador group patrolling this energy eating monstrocity!

(Is this how the French Revolution started?)

Let them eat scones!

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 3.38.12 PM.png

#26 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

Those Soviet ladies were still around when we visited in 1975. They were the "key ladies" who glared at you when you picked up your key and went to your room, their eyes burning into the back of you. Each floor of the hotel had them.

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:06 PM

The deadline to submit nominations for two of the CoV's most important positions is now just over 72 hours away. Don't be late!  :o

#28 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:32 PM

The deadline to submit nominations for two of the CoV's most important positions is now just over 72 hours away. Don't be late! :o

I clicked on this praying it would be the launch of the Junior Eco-Informants Program. I want more info. Like if NParker is caught carrying a plastic bag, will it result in confinement in an eco-prison? And if a homeless camp causes millions of dollars worth of environmental damage, will they get nominated for a mayor's award?
  • Nparker, Bob Fugger, mbjj and 2 others like this

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:43 PM

...if NParker is caught carrying a plastic bag, will it result in confinement in an eco-prison?...

Worse than that: I'd be made to attend every poet laureate's recital for each of their terms!  :eek:

• rjag, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#30 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

And after the "ambassadors" have done their good deed of the day by telling plastic bag-wielding families to use paper instead, their parents picked them up in SUVs and drove them home.

• Nparker, rjag, spanky123 and 6 others like this

#31 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:48 AM

From Ben's facebook page. Is there any doubt left that we have a new Mayor and council of 4?

Charlayne Thornton-Joe Ben, it is disappointing that your post says you are with Sarah, Sharmarke, Jeremy and Laurel, but you don’t mention me, Geoff Young , Lisa or Marianne Alto (who is even in the picture). Also, as we have learned, once we are elected we represent not only those who voted for us (which is only a small percentage of the City’s population) but all the citizens of Victoria. I hope this Council will strive to work together as a full Council of 9 individuals. Sorry, but I had to call out on this one!

• Nparker, rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

Wow! C T-J may have made the most intelligent comment I have ever heard from CoV council. And to call out Comrade Ben publicly...that just made my day.  :)

Edited by Nparker, 03 November 2018 - 03:11 PM.

• rjag, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#33 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

From Ben's facebook page. Is there any doubt left that we have a new Mayor and council of 4?

Charlayne Thornton-Joe

Ben, it is disappointing that your post says you are with Sarah, Sharmarke, Jeremy and Laurel, but you don’t mention me, Geoff Young , Lisa or Marianne Alto (who is even in the picture). Also, as we have learned, once we are elected we represent not only those who voted for us (which is only a small percentage of the City’s population) but all the citizens of Victoria. I hope this Council will strive to work together as a full Council of 9 individuals. Sorry, but I had to call out on this one!

Good for her. Well said.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#34 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:20 PM

Do you think there's a sense among the 3 now "outsiders" on council that the TV candidates were part of a power play by Isitt and/or Helps to eliminate any differing opinions at the council table?
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

Do you think there's a sense among the 3 now "outsiders" on council that the TV candidates were part of a power play by Isitt and/or Helps to eliminate any differing opinions at the council table?

Whether it was deliberate or not, it's undeniable that CoV council has taken a decided shift into the Ben Zone:eek:

• grantpalin, pennymurphy2000, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#36 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

Did you not read Spanky's comment above containing the quote from CTJ? Why would you include Helps in this conspiracy theory of yours.

#37 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:25 AM

Did you not read Spanky's comment above containing the quote from CTJ? Why would you include Helps in this conspiracy theory of yours.

No conspiracy theory. Just trying to suss out the dynamics of the new council.

#38 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:35 AM

No conspiracy theory. Just trying to suss out the dynamics of the new council.

Well, it sure sounded like you were saying that Isitt and/or Helps might have planned this whole TV team.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:38 AM

Isitt was involved in their campaign. His campaign volunteers promoted him, Loveday and TV when calling constituents.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:53 AM

Isitt knew that with at least two open seats in 2018 and possibly more, it was vital to support a slate that aligned with his views. Especially in 2018 which saw a large number of strong candidates competing for those spots. Nothing nefarious, just common sense and good politicking. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users