Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#6961 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:49 AM

If Helps ran as a federal Liberal in Victoria chances are good she'd come third in a 3-way race between herself, the NDP and the Greens; though she'd make it closer than it was last time.

My hope is that she is appointed as a senator at the end of her second mayoral term. I disagree with her on some (many?) issues but strongly feel her skills would be useful there. It would be nice to have Vancouver Island representation in the Senate again.

#6962 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:15 PM

While an appointment to the senate would make Lisa Helps much less of a liability to the CoV, she has not earned the right to be on the public payroll ever again.

• Love the rock, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#6963 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

Too funny, the only item without a bid on the Chamber online Christmas Auction is a zoom meeting with Ben! 

• Nparker, David Bratzer, GaryRanson and 2 others like this

#6964 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:01 PM

I would genuinely love a chat with Ben but I fear it would be 10% me talking and 90% Ben.

#6965 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:07 PM

Too funny, the only item without a bid on the Chamber online Christmas Auction is a zoom meeting with Ben!

Second prize: TWO meetings with Ben.
  • Rob Randall, Nparker, rjag and 3 others like this

#6966 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:17 PM

I would genuinely love a chat with Ben but I fear it would be 10% me talking and 90% Ben.

...so you would be willing to bid $10 then...  ;-)

#6967 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:18 PM

it's not too late...still 2 hours plus to go ...  ;-o

• rjag likes this

#6968 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

“Subject to availability, must book well in advance.”

It’s 15 minutes.
  • David Bratzer, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6969 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:18 PM

“Subject to availability, must book well in advance.”

It’s 15 minutes.

To be expected, he's a very busy important person (in his own head)

• mbjj likes this

#6970 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:19 PM

the mystery bidder "Anonymous" came to the rescue on 43 of the less popular items in the auction, but somehow was outbid for a litsom k litsu with Ben by the oddly named "Minimum Bid"... go figure?!

i wonder if Comrade Ben was always picked last for the ball hockey team?

• rjag likes this

#6971 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:48 AM

Given how split the vote is, it's almost remarkable that the Conservatives aren't able to make a better showing here.  The right candidate and some tweaks to the platform (ie. quitting the notion that appeasing the far right has any merit)....and they could make in roads.

That won't happen until people completely forget about Stephen Harper and his anti-science stances, which might take a while yet.

That said, the Conservatives - just like all the other parties - can't seem to find any sort of decent blend of fiscally responsible* and socially moderate-to-progressive**.

* - as in, don't spend what you don't have but at the same time don't privatize things that really should be in the public trust.  The left wants to over-spend, the right wants to over-cut and over-privatize.

** - as in, as far as possible ignore anything from the 'religious right' (which is where the right fails) and at the same time ignore anything that raises special interests above everyone else (this is where the left fails).

That's a 75-word summary of stuff I could - but won't, I'll spare ya! - rattle off 7500 or even 75000 words on. :)

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#6972 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:53 AM

Gotta say its something that should never have been allowed. The current Chamber Board should not have allowed his name on the bid to begin with and then they should have been monitoring it to make sure  zero bid didnt happen for any of the politicians as thats quite the indictment from the business community.

Williams should have been on top of this or John Wilson and made sure a fake bid was thrown in.

We all know Isitt is divisive and some of his comments are simply idiotic....but he commands quite a block of votes and could potentially be the next Mayor (heaven forbid) but an embarrassment like this would likely impact any support from the City to the Chamber etc.

So yes we can laugh at the situation, but what could the repercussions be later?

For me as a past Executive Board member of the Chamber it is equally embarrassing for them and shows how out of touch they are with the local political climate. 

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#6973 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:54 AM

Last time I checked there was a bid for $100 unless it was withdrawn. Elizabeth May was $150.

Like the guy or not, at least he put his name forward for charity. I didn't see anyone else on council or the local MLA's or MP's stepping up.

Edited by spanky123, 23 November 2020 - 07:59 AM.

#6974 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:00 AM

That won't happen until people completely forget about Stephen Harper and his anti-science stances, which might take a while yet.

And yet surprise, the other 50% of scientists who complained of being shut out by Harper are now complaining that Trudeau won't let them speak freely either!

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tists-1.4545562

Edited by spanky123, 23 November 2020 - 08:01 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#6975 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:05 AM

....Like the guy or not, at least he put his name forward for charity...

I am sure he thought there'd be a bidding war for an audience with our local Commissar. The man is pure ego.

I might have bid on an item that had him promise to be silent in all public forums for a week.

#6976 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:06 AM

Last time I checked there was a bid for $100 unless it was withdrawn. Elizabeth May was $150.

Like the guy or not, at least he put his name forward for charity. I didn't see anyone else on council or the local MLA's or MP's stepping up.

Nope, lots of local politicians etc put their name forward and received good bids.

2020 Virtual Chamber Auction | Silent Auction Items | Community Leader (givergy.ca)

His was the only one that received a zero bid

2020 Virtual Chamber Auction | Silent Auction Items | Categories (givergy.ca) Click the section that says 'Items without bids'

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#6977 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:19 AM

Nope, lots of local politicians etc put their name forward and received good bids.

2020 Virtual Chamber Auction | Silent Auction Items | Community Leader (givergy.ca)

His was the only one that received a zero bid

2020 Virtual Chamber Auction | Silent Auction Items | Categories (givergy.ca) Click the section that says 'Items without bids'

Who else on council or local MLA/MP put their name forward? I didn't see anyone.

I disagree with pretty much everything Ben says but as I have said many times, at least he responds to emails and shows up at meetings prepared. 

Edited by spanky123, 23 November 2020 - 09:21 AM.

• David Bratzer and Brayvehart like this

#6978 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:02 AM

...I disagree with pretty much everything Ben says but as I have said many times, at least he responds to emails and shows up at meetings prepared. 

While using email addresses gained through his position as a councillor for his own purposes.  :mad:

#6979 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:17 AM

Helps and Fred Haynes were also auctioned off.

I saw Haynes even bid on an item or two.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6980 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:51 AM

Who else on council or local MLA/MP put their name forward? I didn't see anyone.

I disagree with pretty much everything Ben says but as I have said many times, at least he responds to emails and shows up at meetings prepared. 

Helps, Screech, Haynes, May, Martin, Base Commander and Police Chief. Its all in the link I provided

• Mike K., pennymurphy2000 and JohnsonStBridge like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users