Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#7021 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:02 PM

Typo. Watch the first 10 minutes of November 26th meeting.

The recuses were just the start. 

Watch the council meeting from Nov 16th. Just the first 10 minutes.

First came the the recuses. Then there was what Alto and Thorton-Joe said.

My jaw dropped.

#7022 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,256 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

there are three meetings.  which one?  morning afternoon or night.

#7023 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

Committee of the Whole. November 26. 9am. First 10 minutes. The following 20 if you have the time and want to see how far this descends. 

#7024 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

Committee of the Whole. November 26. 9am. First 10 minutes. The following 20 if you have the time and want to see how far this descends. 

It's not so much the time as the stomach I don't have to sit through CoV council meetings. It literally nauseates me to see how my tax dollars are being spent.

• A Girl is No one and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#7025 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:03 PM

Fair enough.

I'm not sure what I watched but it looked like not just bad decisions but also bad governance. The deadline had already passed and a councillor who didn't recuse themselves proposed extending the deadline because of two grant proposals they heard about and weren't able to get their bids in on time. 

Tax dollars being spent to not be fair to those who get their bids in on time. All because one councillor says they heard about some other bids that didn't get it. 

Why would a councillor be talking to potential grant receivers about this? How close are they? How appropriate is that if the councillors are the ones making decisions? 

Surprised CFAX and the papers haven't picked that up. Unless I've missed it. 

• Nparker, rmpeers, Stephen James and 1 other like this

#7026 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:17 PM

Isitt's conflict was he serves as a director on a board of one of the social service applicants (he didn't mention which one).

Dubow's conflict was his recent roommate was one of the applicants.

Loveday's conflict was his partner works at one of the applicants. 

#7027 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,256 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:12 PM

and we heard at least one of the proposals involved showers.

one involved food.

one involved “charging devices” for campers’ cellphones or other gadgets.

#7028 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:39 PM

Perhaps said councilors should clarify, lest anyone get the impression they are benefiting from homelessness here

#7029 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:18 PM

Fair enough.

I'm not sure what I watched but it looked like not just bad decisions but also bad governance. The deadline had already passed and a councillor who didn't recuse themselves proposed extending the deadline because of two grant proposals they heard about and weren't able to get their bids in on time. 

Tax dollars being spent to not be fair to those who get their bids in on time. All because one councillor says they heard about some other bids that didn't get it. 

Why would a councillor be talking to potential grant receivers about this? How close are they? How appropriate is that if the councillors are the ones making decisions? 

Surprised CFAX and the papers haven't picked that up. Unless I've missed it. 

maybe having a dictionary at each councillor's place might help

deadline - time or day by which something must be done:

I'm afraid you've missed the deadline - the deadline for applications was 30 May.

#7030 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:21 PM

maybe having a dictionary at each councillor's place might help

deadline - time or day by which something must be done:

I'm afraid you've missed the deadline - the deadline for applications was 30 May.

in my many years of submitting bids to deadlines - if, after my bid was public and met all criteria, and then further applications were allowed there would have been a lawsuit filed the next day

• Nparker, rjag, Awaiting Juno and 4 others like this

#7031 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:19 AM

Isitt's conflict was he serves as a director on a board of one of the social service applicants (he didn't mention which one).
Dubow's conflict was his recent roommate was one of the applicants.
Loveday's conflict was his partner works at one of the applicants.

Loveday’s partner is also one of the faces on Together Victoria’s campaign platform graphic.

Isitt is a director at the Red Cedar Society.

The public is going to get a look into just how intertwined the social services agencies and organizations are with TV, and how much taxpayer money goes towards these organizations.

But conflict of interest does not appear to matter any more, as the director of the Red Cedar Society rejoined discussions into the issue.
  • rjag, A Girl is No one, rmpeers and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7032 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:44 AM

A real newspaper would look into this fishy situation. Not sure the TC will because, as noted here before, TC often (but not always) gives Helps and council an easy ride. Possibly because they have an understand due to the amount of ad revenue the City gives them.
  • Nparker and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#7033 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:32 AM

« Journalists » also share the same ideology .... birds of a feather

#7034 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:44 PM

Loveday’s partner is also one of the faces on Together Victoria’s campaign platform graphic.

The public is going to get a look into just how intertwined the social services agencies and organizations are with TV, and how much taxpayer money goes towards these organizations.

But conflict of interest does not appear to matter any more, as the director of the Red Cedar Society rejoined discussions into the issue.

With so much City money going to these groups for various projects and given how closely these groups are intertwined with TV, I wouldn't be surprised if someone suggested that maybe City money was being used to promote political activities.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#7035 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:48 PM

A real newspaper would look into this fishy situation. Not sure the TC will because, as noted here before, TC often (but not always) gives Helps and council an easy ride. Possibly because they have an understand due to the amount of ad revenue the City gives them.

The reality is that there are few people left at the TC to investigate any stories or write editorials. If someone hands them a PR then they go with it unless there is a reason to believe it isn't true. 

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#7036 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:04 PM

The apparent confllcts are breath-taking, and as one who projects himself as warm and empathetic, and he likely is, I'd like Jeremy Loveday to comment on those 10 minutes:  I'd like him to tell us what to think as we watch 3 counsellors recuse themselves for conflicts of interest related to the non-profits. I'd also like to hear if he thinks Sarah Potts should have recused herself.

Then, I'd like to know, when procurement is so important to government's relationship with the community, why:

1) Counsellors own related parties couldn't get their applications in on time for the deadline?

2) How, when it was their own "friends" and related parties that didn't get their applications in on time, and others did, they can justify changing the rules for the benefit of their friends?

3) How can this process be fair to those that did get their bids in on time (not TV's friends?), especially given their bids are public?

What are we to think about a government that seems tipped towards one community, at the expense of all the rest, has so many conflicts related to that community, and changes procurement rules to benefit their friends in that community?

What do we call that? 

Edited by Taco, 29 November 2020 - 08:05 PM.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#7037 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,256 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:29 AM

the whole procurement on this file stinks.

it amounts to the city saying “hey here is a pile of money. now you come and tell us what problem we need to solve and also how also you will use all of the money to solve it “

rather than having an unbiased party or entity tell us what the problem is. even if there is one.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#7038 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 07:49 AM

the whole procurement on this file stinks.

it amounts to the city saying “hey here is a pile of money. now you come and tell us what problem we need to solve and also how also you will use all of the money to solve it “

rather than having an unbiased party or entity tell us what the problem is. even if there is one.

Yes, and even when that's happening, the courts across this country are filled with litigation over conflicts of interest and butchered procurement processes, for good reason. It's where corruption lives.

I would not be surprised to hear that council went into camera so the lawyers can tell them how many people can sue them in how many ways for this abomination.

I'm no fan of M Helps but the smile on her face as the recusals take place is hilarious, and as she repeats, over and over, for the record, "I do NOT support this process." Guessing she has a pretty good idea.

• rmpeers and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#7039 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 07:53 AM

Much as I don't want to let go of a distressingly biased procurement process...

Has anyone has looked at the next CoW meeting agenda?  Any thoughts or feelings about turning Beacon Hill Park over to First Nations people for governing?  

#7040 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:02 AM

... Any thoughts or feelings about turning Beacon Hill Park over to First Nations people for governing?

:eek:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users