Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10661 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 01:40 PM

And Sharmarke is not helping with the TV fate.

I think he is helping quite a bit. He does a great job of dividing people by background and using fear and hate to motivate those he considers marginalized to vote. 

• Seechelle1969 likes this

#10662 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,046 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 01:42 PM

He truly is the worst councillor we have ever had.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2022 - 01:49 PM.

• Nparker and Spy Black like this

#10663 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 01:49 PM

Why is any of my city tax dollars being spent on issues in Quebec. If the councilors feel strongly about it let them use their own money, Andrews only looks good in comparison to Alto but I really wish there was someone else running.

• Nparker, spanky123 and Vicrazy like this

#10664 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 01:56 PM

Why is any of my city tax dollars being spent on issues in Quebec. If the councilors feel strongly about it let them use their own money, Andrews only looks good in comparison to Alto but I really wish there was someone else running.

What I would have hoped SA or JY would have done is tabled a motion for council to pony up the money themselves. When that was defeated they could have then pointed out how easy it is to spend OPMs.

• Barrrister, Seechelle1969 and AJ Common Sense Advocate like this

#10665 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 06:25 PM

Victoria pledges $9,500 to legal challenge against Quebec's religious symbols 

I am glad that council has taken a strong stand on religious symbols.  Next time I see them in church I will personally congratulate them.

#10666 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 01:25 AM

Awesome feedback. Thank you

About “being a business candidate” - it’s time we stopped this division and politics of identity. I want to be mayor for everyone. That’s not a line, it’s a mandate. Maybe you can’t please all of the people all of the time, but you can damn well try. Be pragmatic and respectful.

As to “lining up issues” - there are plenty of examples where I differ on the ideological view of certain council members. HM brings up Clover Point. I am very definite on that issue and do not want to come across as a “one issue” candidate. Yes, we will raise issues of poor governance - there is a litany to draw from.

On “polling” - can only say, speak of what you know, not what you assume. I spent a lot of time considering, discussing and evaluating the landscape. I am confident in my decision. I am equally happy with my support.

On “business support” - thanks to everyone who maxed out their 2021 allowable donations ($1,239). However, there are many lower amounts that have arrived since we began raising money. I am told $10, $25, $50 and other amounts show up every few days. It’s broad range support and I am very enthused by this. Thank you again.

On “volunteer support” - we had an army of supporters in the bi-election and the response to my announcement is stunning.

We learned a lot over three campaigns. And we had a crash course in “pandemic” campaigning. Hopefully the public health conditions let us expand our engagement. We are ready.

Chat soon!

S
  • Awaiting Juno, newbie_01 and AJ Common Sense Advocate like this

#10667 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 07:42 AM

Stephen: Do appreciate that you want to be mayor for everyone but honestly I really have no idea what that means. In the past when politicians used that term it usually meant that I dont want to tell you where I stand and expect some bad surprises if you elect me, Come to think of it, Lisa Helps used that expression often in her first campaigns.

I voted for you in the last election but I would really appreciate some clear stands on the city's issues. The reality is that compromising between sane and stupid leaves one being half stupid.  It is nice wishing that there were not divides in the City but they are a fact of life in Victoria. 

I understand that you want to appeal to a broad base and various interests in the city but to my ears you are really starting to sound like all the other politicians that have run in past years and that leaves me worried. 

• spanky123 likes this

#10668 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 January 2022 - 11:20 AM

If the business community is serious about change, the focus will be on the rest of the table, and not the mayor's chair. The focus should be on supporting genuine candidates who will do their utmost to approach the job with balance and respect for everyone in our community. 2022 could either end the dysfunction - or see it continue to fester. If people sit out the election and fail to vote, we'll be doomed, even if really good candidates step up.

• Nparker, sebberry, Stephen Andrew and 3 others like this

#10669 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 11:28 AM

If Geoff Young doesn't run again, and with Stephen Andrew running for mayor, it means all 8 seats on council are in play and critical. If they trend toward SJWs, the city is doomed.

• Barrrister likes this

#10670 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 12:02 PM

If the business community is serious about change, the focus will be on the rest of the table, and not the mayor's chair. The focus should be on supporting genuine candidates who will do their utmost to approach the job with balance and respect for everyone in our community. 2022 could either end the dysfunction - or see it continue to fester. If people sit out the election and fail to vote, we'll be doomed, even if really good candidates step up.

One of the things that Mayor Helps successfully leveraged over the past 4 years was her ability to dictate the agenda at council meetings. I think that if any group is serious about change and having their own special interests pursued then they will want to run candidates for all positions. I don't think we will see a slate, we will see a number of people with similar policy viewpoints and then research, promotion and organization will run behind the scenes to support them.

I will be the first to admit that this same scenario has been pitched the last two elections and it never materialized. 

• Stephen Andrew, Victoria Watcher and JimV like this

#10671 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 12:11 PM

The reality is that compromising between sane and stupid leaves one being half stupid.  It is nice wishing that there were not divides in the City but they are a fact of life in Victoria. 

This is my point. If Alto says lets give them $9,500 and Stephen says lets give them $7,750 while the "business candidate" says fix the potholes and stay in your lane then it divides things pretty clearly and Stephen isn't going to win.

Now if that candidate doesn't materialize then a slight right of Alto candidate is the alternative but it will be hard to motivate a lot of people on the center or right to wait 3 hours in line to support someone who is only slightly more aligned with their beliefs.

Edited by spanky123, 08 January 2022 - 12:12 PM.

• Nparker, Barrrister, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#10672 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 12:30 PM

I don't think we will see a slate, we will see a number of people with similar policy viewpoints and then research, promotion and organization will run behind the scenes to support them.

While I hope you're right, I still think every candidate needs to be fully scrutinized by our VV community to make sure there are no hidden connections between candidates.
  • mbjj and AJ Common Sense Advocate like this

#10673 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 03:11 PM

Stephen: Do appreciate that you want to be mayor for everyone but honestly I really have no idea what that means. In the past when politicians used that term it usually meant that I dont want to tell you where I stand and expect some bad surprises if you elect me, Come to think of it, Lisa Helps used that expression often in her first campaigns.

I voted for you in the last election but I would really appreciate some clear stands on the city's issues. The reality is that compromising between sane and stupid leaves one being half stupid. It is nice wishing that there were not divides in the City but they are a fact of life in Victoria.

I understand that you want to appeal to a broad base and various interests in the city but to my ears you are really starting to sound like all the other politicians that have run in past years and that leaves me worried.

I hear you. As we move forward you will hear definite directions.

My point is, I don’t want any one group to believe they will control the agenda. We need to be balanced in our approach to leadership. And it’s important to know that needs to be 5 out of 9 votes.

Hopefully we can achieve that.

Thanks for engaging. Always available at 250-412-8888

S
  • AJ Common Sense Advocate likes this

#10674 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 03:29 PM

Anyone who says they will properly repair CoV streets (not just more patches) gets my vote. I have never seen the roads this bad and that's saying something.

• sebberry, Hotel Mike, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#10675 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 04:03 PM

Anyone who says they will properly repair CoV streets (not just more patches) gets my vote. I have never seen the roads this bad and that's saying something.

My car just about fell into a whopper today, I think it was on Foul Bay Road where I had to detour as I couldn't go along Richardson, lol. I guess Foul Bay has increased usage chewing things up. As I turned right onto Gonzales to get back onto Richardson, the road in front of the speed bump seems to be disintegrating. I'm wondering if the bus has to go along there now? 

#10676 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 04:43 PM

Dont worry, the city will get to it as soon as they are finished dealing with all the problems in the Province of Quebec.

• Nparker, spanky123, Daveyboy and 7 others like this

#10677 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2022 - 05:21 PM

And you don't even drive!

The roads are terrible and it takes forever for something to even be patched up. 

In the grand scheme of things it's a small issue - but we need to use better/reflective road paint too.  Straining to see the lines on a rainy night is a good way to miss seeing a cyclist with no lights or a pedestrian dressed all in black.

• Midnightly, Awaiting Juno, Barrrister and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10678 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 10:50 PM

And you don't even drive!...

When even passengers notice how bad the roads are, you know something needs to be done.

#10679 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:02 PM

When even passengers notice how bad the roads are, you know something needs to be done.

If you can't drive then you will be forced to bike or take the bus!

#10680 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 02:33 PM

If you can't drive then you will be forced to bike or take the bus!

Or move to a jurisdiction that still believes in road maintenance.

• Barrrister likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users