Photo

City of Victoria | City Family | Municipal reconciliation efforts

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#201 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

^Sorry, I'm saying Colonialization--not colonization. Although I slipped in post 197 and said colonization. Two different meanings.

I'd call it racism, but I am sort of old-school when it comes to terminology.

There is a difference from garden-variety racism. Colonialization implies a predetermined end game--the subjugation of a group of people by the government.

#202 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

I'm sorry but that smacks of Marxist subversion of language by Ben issit types

#203 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

^Ah, come on, man. You can't just throw that old trope around every time a discussion doesn't go your way.

• tedward likes this

#204 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

I'll note that I was once called a white-supremacist so since I manage to offend both sides equally I must be doing something right.

#205 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

^Ah, come on, man. You can't just throw that old trope around every time a discussion doesn't go your way.

Nah there's just no point in engaging with that stuff. The activist left uses language really well to frame debates a certain way and you gotta just cut to the chase and be like sorry your definitions of racism and colonialism are Marxist BS and I refuse to play by those rules

#206 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

............ you gotta just cut to the chase and be like sorry your definitions of racism and colonialism are Marxist BS and I refuse to play by those rules

Most regular folks just call it common decency ... part of living in a democratic, civilized society.

#207 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:22 PM

Most regular folks just call it common decency ... part of living in a democratic, civilized society.

Buddy, I've read your posts and trust me you would be considered a nazi bigot by these people

#208 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:14 PM

..... nazi bigot.......

You lose!

#209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

The City Family at Victoria's City Hall, comprised of members of local First Nations and several councillors, is working towards a series of "learning opportunities" that will tie into the work conducted by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. The Family presented its plans at today's council session.

“We are going to do a series of learning opportunities for the City of Victoria over the next year starting early next fall,” said Janice Simcoe, director of Camosun College’s Centre for Indigenous Education and Community Connections, and a member of the City Family.

“And those learning opportunities are going to be around sharing information that lead to the truth and reconciliation commission work. That helps Victorians to understand how we got to where we are. To gift Victorians with the opportunity to learn more about where they are on land. It’s a gift to understand the relationship with the land. It’s a gift to everybody who gets it, it makes us more full. The land comes up through our feet and into our beings.”

The City Family will be spending several upcoming gatherings planning the series.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#210 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

Just more "white settler" trash talk.

Such talk actually accomplishes nothing of value, and really only serves to piss off and alienate otherwise sympathetic residents of the region.

#211 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

If folks want to get together and have discussions then that is up to them. What I object to is the City paying money to a group that operates secretly and without public oversight.

Edited by spanky123, 13 June 2019 - 02:07 PM.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#212 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

Was talking to someone who is having  "Indigenous Acumen Training" in their workplace, complete with two sets of required reading (which she doesn't have time for as no home computer nor internet). It's the second time in the last few years I think. She really doesn't have any interest and feel it's being shoved down her throat.

#213 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:42 AM

If Indigenous Acumen Training is going to be a requirement, then the least they could do is provide a dedicated facility for it.  It's a good time of year for an outdoor retreat to get in touch with the land, so combine it together into some sort of educational camp.

#214 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

If Indigenous Acumen Training is going to be a requirement, then the least they could do is provide a dedicated facility for it.  It's a good time of year for an outdoor retreat to get in touch with the land, so combine it together into some sort of educational camp.

Hmmm re-education camps....conjures up some not so pleasant thoughts...but then again they are a leftist specialty

#215 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

Was talking to someone who is having  "Indigenous Acumen Training" in their workplace, complete with two sets of required reading (which she doesn't have time for as no home computer nor internet). It's the second time in the last few years I think. She really doesn't have any interest and feel it's being shoved down her throat.

Great way to foster understanding and compassion, force someone to spend their own personal time (without compensation) to do work related activities.

• Midnightly likes this

#216 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:20 AM

Offering a land acknowledgment has become a symbol of reconciliation and almost standard protocol for public gatherings across Canada, particularly at universities. But recently, they’ve also been criticized as an empty gesture, prompting some to ask whether they should change.

Politicians in Richmond Hill, Ont., recently rejected an initiative to open council meetings with a land acknowledgment, voting instead to train staff on Indigenous issues. Alberta’s new United Conservative government seems to have curtailed the practice. And Indigenous scholars are asking whether the statements have become little more than lip service, like a box to be ticked on a protocol checklist.

At one of Canada’s largest academic conferences this month, scholars discussed how to make land acknowledgments more meaningful.

“It has to go beyond just a tokenized gesture,” said Sheila Cote-Meek, a First Nations scholar and York university executive who led the workshop at the Congress of Humanities and Social Sciences held this year at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.

“As you embed a process, it can become just another everyday thing you do that’s not as meaningful as it could have been.”

......"Several scholars have called for acknowledgments to be rethought. Instead of reciting a script, they encourage people to speak frankly about their own connection to the communities and places they intend to honour, and building actual relationships."....

https://www.theglobe...me-an/#comments

#217 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:37 PM

The Beaverton had a great article on this today.

Matt.

#218 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:06 PM

The Beaverton had a great article on this today.

Matt.

Couldn't find it? I did find this: 

QUEBEC

-  1 DAY AGO Quebec law requires all circumcised government workers to wear secular foreskin covers

QUEBEC CITY – All circumcised men in positions of authority within the province of Quebec are now legally compelled to wear an artificial foreskin cover in the workplace. An overlooked regu…

#219 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

I prefer this one.

“We introduced the best paternity leave in Canada and pioneered affordable daycare,” said Employment Minister Francois Blais. “Now, with Teen Leave, we are providing relief to parents for the time when their children become raging a******s.”

https://www.thebeave...ren-teen-years/

Edited by DustMagnet, 27 June 2019 - 07:01 PM.

#220 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:30 PM

Couldn't find it? I did find this:
QUEBEC [/size]

-

1 DAY AGO
Quebec law requires all circumcised government workers to wear secular foreskin covers

QUEBEC CITY – All circumcised men in positions of authority within the province of Quebec are now legally compelled to wear an artificial foreskin cover in the workplace. An overlooked regu…

https://www.thebeave...cknowledgement/

“TORONTO – Upon seeing one another in-person for the first time at local dive bar Scrungie’s, internet activist Dillon Sanders introduced himself to his date Rebecca Holder by way of a ceremonial acknowledgement of the traditional caretakers of the land on which they were meeting.”

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 27 June 2019 - 07:31 PM.

• kjf and VIResident like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users