[Pedestrians] Pedestrian infrastructure in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

I didn't know exactly where to post this so I followed the existing template.

https://www.vicnews....n-intersection/

Is this headline a rhetorical question?  I don't think lack of knowledge is a problem (except maybe that the countdown is only for those already in the crosswalk, not an indication that you should sprint)...

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

at some future point the countdown will be removed when it’s determined people use it to gauge whether to start.

#3 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

^^ But it's also useful for drivers to indicate how stale the green is.  I guess that could also be used as a time-to-gun-it indicator...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:43 AM

That is insane. Makes me want to remove them.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

At Tillicum on the Galloping Goose we have these new signs and counters.  The counters start at 30, then after they get to zero, there is a good 20 seconds before the light actually goes yellow.  And they wonder why everyone ignores them.  Technically on a bike we need to follow these, so for a crossing that takes 4 seconds we should watch the green light for ~50 seconds, then wait for an entire new phase.  Asinine.

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:14 AM

I should point out we actually asked them specifically to not do this before they installed them too.  That's ok, it's only all our money being wasted when we eventually convince them to retrofit.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:35 AM

...That's ok, it's only all our money being wasted when we eventually convince them to retrofit.

Oh the irony.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#8 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

Oh the irony.

HAHAHA, no $hit!  After millions in cost overruns for these ridiculous bi-directional bike lanes and exclusive bike/bus lanes, suddenly bike activist guy has discovered fiscal responsibility.

I wonder if poinsettias also ruffle his sensibilities re: fiscal responsibility towards the public purse.  :banana:

EDIT: to add dancing banana

Edited by Bob Fugger, 16 January 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

/boring.  Read the Canadian engineering design manuals.  There's nothing absurd about protected bike lanes.  They're actually the recommended design in urban areas.  Doubling down, it's a waste of money to NOT put them in on redesigns and new roads because it just means they'll need to be added later to provide connected networks.  Looking at you Langford and Esquimalt.

• Brantastic likes this

#10 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

This thread is how many days old and it's already managed to be stung by the world-renowned VV anti-bike crew. That's gotta be some kind of record.

• Coreyburger, nerka and Brantastic like this

#11 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

This thread is how many days old and it's already managed to be stung by the world-renowned VV anti-bike crew. That's gotta be some kind of record.

It is possibly the worst named thread on VV though and there are a lot of bad titles.

#12 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

πŸ€”πŸ€¨πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ™„

If you read above, it was a bike advocate that brought bikes into this thread first.

"The world-renowned VV anti-bike crew" just responded in kind.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#13 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

Thread titles are made by those that open said thread. In this case I believe DustMagnet?

#14 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

If you read above, it was a bike advocate that brought bikes into this thread first.

"The world-renowned VV anti-bike crew" just responded in kind.

So in a thread about traffic light timers, the bike advocate talked about traffic light timers, and then got slapped for being a hypocrite about money and bike lanes.

Ya, he started it for sure.

#15 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

At Tillicum on the Galloping Goose we have these new signs and counters.  The counters start at 30, then after they get to zero, there is a good 20 seconds before the light actually goes yellow.  And they wonder why everyone ignores them.  Technically on a bike we need to follow these, so for a crossing that takes 4 seconds we should watch the green light for ~50 seconds, then wait for an entire new phase.  Asinine.

Ah, as a driver, I'm very familiar with this pain ... sitting at the endless red lights in Victoria, waiting for them to turn green, while there's no traffic anywhere and worse, the light turned red just as you approached for no discernible reason other than to mess with you.

Glad to see this is trickling down to our multi-modal traffic models.

• Nparker, rjag, lanforod and 1 other like this

#16 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

It is possibly the worst named thread on VV though and there are a lot of bad titles.

I just used the existing template, so if it's terrible I'm gonna have to blame user "http" back in 2008.

https://vibrantvicto...ts-in-victoria/

#17 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:56 AM

Ah, as a driver, I'm very familiar with this pain ... sitting at the endless red lights in Victoria, waiting for them to turn green, while there's no traffic anywhere and worse, the light turned red just as you approached for no discernible reason other than to mess with you.

Glad to see this is trickling down to our multi-modal traffic models.

You mean as a driver you're used to actually having a traffic signal designed for you, instead of being bastardized as a pedestrian when you're clearly not?  You're used to waiting at a green light because you're not allowed to proceed because of a rule that actually applies to another mode, but if you took a slightly more dangerous trajectory you would be legally allowed to proceed?  You're used to one government agency tell you they cannot use the actual solution when 3 other government agencies are using it on the exact same route?

#18 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

/boring. Read the Canadian engineering design manuals. There's nothing absurd about protected bike lanes. They're actually the recommended design in urban areas. Doubling down, it's a waste of money to NOT put them in on redesigns and new roads because it just means they'll need to be added later to provide connected networks. Looking at you Langford and Esquimalt.

I will attempt one more time to convey that I think protected bike lanes are great. I suspect a fair number of the other rabid bike haters on here share this view. The design of Victoria's bike lanes specifically has design aspects that are somewhat absurd.

Anyway, back to pedestrians. I agree that most probably DO know the rules but many can't be bothered to follow them. It is maddening to see a light about to turn red and some bozo decides to start shuffling into the crossing, appearing completely oblivious.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

...It is maddening to see a light about to turn red and some bozo decides to start shuffling into the crossing, appearing completely oblivious.

Reminds me of all the drivers that speed up to get through an amber light:whyme:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#20 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

Come on NParker, yellow means speed up, not do not proceed unless already in the intersection. πŸ™„
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users