Nils Jensen passed away

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:11 PM

Just saw a post from Kevin Murdoch reporting that after a very brief illness from cancer that Nils passed away 

He reposted from another source

Our community has lost a giant. Our dear friend, Nils Jensen, died this morning after a short battle with cancer. He arrived in Canada from Denmark as an eight year old with nary a word of English in his vocabulary. Canada, and the communities in which he lived, became his life and passion. He was a four term member of Oak Bay Council, serving two terms as its Mayor. While he loved his Oak Bay, Nils forward-thinking vision extended to the entire lower island. His vast reservoir of patience and optimism allowed him to successfully work with many colleagues on critical infrastructure projects as a member and Chair of the Capital Regional District. Raising of the CRD dam to ensure fresh drinking water for future generations was a particular accomplishment.

Nils was a learned man, obtaining a Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering, a Law Degree from Osgoode Hall and a Masters of Law from the London School of Economics. He practiced criminal law as defence counsel and as a prosecutor. He taught law in Ontario and BC. He worked to make a more effective legal system by helping to bring modern technologies to the courtroom. And there is so much more. He has been a wonderful friend.

He leaves his wife and incredible partner in life Jean and two amazing sons Nicholas and Stewart. A memorial for NIls will be held at 2 pm, Thursday, April 11 at the Oak Bay High School Community Theatre.

Edited by rjag, 07 April 2019 - 12:12 PM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

Holy smokes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:33 PM

69 years old for those wondering.

i think he still rode a bike lots.  or did until a few years back.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

69 years old for those wondering.

i think he still rode a bike lots.  or did until a few years back.

Any mention the type of cancer? He ran for office in the fall so it must have been very quick.

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:39 PM

not that I have read anywhere yet.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#6 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:07 AM

Oh gosh. Sad and unexpected news. I got to work with him briefly back in 2012 and found him extremely friendly, good-natured, an effective and efficient leader, and a natural teacher/mentor. Glad I had the chance. Thanks for your many years of service to your community, Nils.

• Mike K. likes this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

I met him only once leaving the CFAX studios as he was coming in. We chatted briefly, and yes, he was a true gentleman.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

he was a very friendly guy. never had any difficulty opening up a conversation with a stranger. it’s a shame it seems he only really retired from his day job a few years ago and of course from his mayor job a few months ago.

#9 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

Very sad, from what I knew of him he was a genuine good guy. Lived a big life.

#10 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

Wow! 69 is so young, barely enough time to enjoy retirement and the fruits of a lifetime of hard work.  RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users