APPROVED
1314-1318 Wharf Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1314-1318 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1314-1318 Wharf Street is a proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental complex with ground floor retail space ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1314-1318 Wharf Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1314-1318 Wharf Street / Northern Junk | Rentals; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#481 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:59 PM

I hope Betty Gibbens speaks. Those were the days, my friend.

• Nparker likes this

#482 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:27 PM

Another hour of speaker videos and they'll quit and continue next Thursday.

#483 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:50 PM

I have to say video presentations to council are another great unexpected outcome from the pandemic. Allows greater access and accessibility, people can share their thoughts in the comfort of their own surroundings and not have stage fright of fear intimidation or ridicule. Or wasting an entire evening or two waiting to speak.

A bit surprised to see Lisa Helps publicly call out the former 10 Mile Point resident and now Wharf street resident (woman with fancy glasses) for making comments the mayor felt were unfair to people who are hanging out in the park. It felt like public rebuke and attack on this woman’s reputation with no opportunity for response. It didn’t feel as if her comments were discriminatory.

#484 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:54 PM

Very powerful video by a younger guy recorded right at Northern Junk - I’m loving this new approach! Wow, Lisa will be ticked about the mention of drugs and the previous young person who mentioned ‘deviant’ behaviour in the park.

#485 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:56 PM

Lastly.. so many young voices!! Much better balance than the normal crowd at city hall which was dominated by the retired crowd who could take the time to attend.

#486 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:10 PM

Ah, so these videos were collected by the developer apparently. And again the mayor is ticked off about a comment made about "riff raff" at the park, saying that is discriminatory against homeless youth. Ummm, how did she know they're all homeless youth!? Many have been involved with criminal acts and violent assaults FFS!

#487 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:54 AM

what’s the result?

#488 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:24 AM

There were 117 support letters and about 95 opposition letters. By our count 15 Support Speakers and 15 Opposition speakers. In addition there were 33 Support Videos and 2 Opposition Videos. The Public Hearing closed to speakers at 11:30pm. Council will ask staff and applicant questions and deliberate next Thursday night. Not entirely but to a large degree there was a generational divide between opposition and support. Opposition was primarily technical heritage policy compliance and opposition support was practical, forward looking and needs based. 

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#489 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,161 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:46 AM

Fantastic recap, Jon, thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#490 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:51 AM

https://www.timescol...week-1.24347463

#491 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:01 AM

i'm opposed to pre-recorded videos being played at the hearing*.  they should instead be available to council and the general public just like a written letter is.  to be consumed at another time that does not back up the hearing.

* let me know if i got this wrong.  

i tuned in for a bit when one opponent was narrating while his powerpoint was playing.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2021 - 07:02 AM.

#492 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:56 AM

I like how the TC article counts the current storeys from Wharf Street and the new building from harbour side for maximum effect.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#493 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:07 AM

reminder of these incredible buildings the big fuss is over:

tc-309607-web-vka-junk-62021726152256144

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2021 - 08:07 AM.

#494 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:10 AM

Helps chastising the speakers for praising/criticizing the developer instead of the proposal.

isn't that part of it though?  the developer has an impressive heritage restoration portfolio to show off.

do you think if duncan morrison was the proponent rather than reliance it would make no difference?

#495 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:26 AM

i'm opposed to pre-recorded videos being played at the hearing*. they should instead be available to council and the general public just like a written letter is. to be consumed at another time that does not back up the hearing.

* let me know if i got this wrong.

i tuned in for a bit when one opponent was narrating while his powerpoint was playing.

Then have the videos posted to a City of Victoria YouTube channel prior to the public meeting.

Video presentations is where we need to go. Why explain something in words if you can actually show it in moving pictures, what a modern concept! I have a bet with a dear friend that it's impossible for a horse's hooves to be all off the ground at the same time while trotting. We're hoping to get our hands on one of these new fangled machines this weekend and settle this once and for all! Mind you he also believes the earth is round - a little on the eccentric side.

#496 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:27 AM

Then have the videos posted to a City of Victoria YouTube channel prior to the public meeting.

Video presentations is where we need to go. Why explain something in words if you can actually show it in moving pictures, what a modern concept! I have a bet with a dear friend that it's impossible for a horse's hooves to be all off the ground at the same time while trotting. We're hoping to get our hands on one of these new fangled machines this weekend and settle this once and for all! Mind you he also believes the earth is round - a little on the eccentric side.

i agree they should be accepted and made public.  but like letters - that are not each read aloud during the meeting - they should just be put up for display somewhere.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2021 - 08:29 AM.

#497 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:13 AM

reminder of these incredible buildings the big fuss is over:

tc-309607-web-vka-junk-62021726152256144

What about that earthquake the geologists keep promising?

#498 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:31 AM

i agree they should be accepted and made public. but like letters - that are not each read aloud during the meeting - they should just be put up for display somewhere.

What's the difference between a video and someone speaking live? Only those who are able to participate in that exact time slot should be "guaranteed” to be heard? Maybe all input, no matter the form must be received and published a week before the city council meeting. Decision announced at the council meeting, each councillor gets up to 5 minutes to explain their decision, but they're free to publish in any format a longer explanation. Let's go!

#499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:40 AM

What's the difference between a video and someone speaking live? Only those who are able to participate in that exact time slot should be "guaranteed” to be heard? Maybe all input, no matter the form must be received and published a week before the city council meeting. Decision announced at the council meeting, each councillor gets up to 5 minutes to explain their decision, but they're free to publish in any format a longer explanation. Let's go!

time.

a video can be watched any time.  a live speaker can't be.   

There were 117 support letters and about 95 opposition letters. By our count 15 Support Speakers and 15 Opposition speakers. In addition there were 33 Support Videos and 2 Opposition Videos.

is it 5 minutes for each speaker/video?

imagine if all of the above (every letter and speaker and video - was replaced with video) had to air during the hearing.

it would last 23.08 hours.

#500 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:18 PM

No, we never air it at the meeting, it's available for viewing (videos, letters, PowerPoint, recorded audio) as soon as the public portal opens two weeks before the deadline and a week prior to the decision meeting. At the initial meeting the only the developer makes their formal pitch and city council and staff get to ask questions. The fatal flaw in this idea (likely several fatal flaws, lol) is that it fails to account for people without internet access/devices or who are illiterate (and can't write a letter for submission). They could still go down to City Hall and record an audio or video submission, but I get it - people want 'live' or in person democracy.

Still doesn't seem right that we prioritize attention only on live participation, which is more advantageous to older folks. If submissions take 24 hours to review, then city councilors have three weeks to do that under this plan.
  • DavidSchell likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users