UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Caledonia
Uses: rental, townhome
Address: 1211 Gladstone Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
The Caledonia affordable housing project is comprised of a five-storey building, a four-storey building and th... (view full profile)
Learn more about Caledonia on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fernwood] Caledonia | Affordable rentals; townhomes | Up to 5-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:20 PM

I don't think there is a thread yet for this (apologies if I missed it):

There is a plan  by CRHC to build 155 units of affordable housing *behind private property* on Chambers avenue in Fernwood on the west side of property owned by the school district (i.e. Vic High), the city, and BC Housing.  The plan involves a land swap.

The plan calls for:

• 1 4-storey building
  • 2 5-storey buildings
  • 2 townhouse blocks (3 storeys each)
  • Underground parking
  • Construction start in Fall 2020

Additional information on the proposal is here:  https://fernwoodnrg....t-for-fernwood/

Despite some wording in the above link, it's possible that the community garden on Chambers ('Spring Ridge Common') could be included in the development proposal.  A subsequent article (published two days ago on April 9)  from Fernwood NRG mentions that the group lost its lease on the garden and that its future is tied to the development proposal; see https://fernwoodnrg....-ridge-commons/ .

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 11 April 2019 - 06:23 PM.

• Kungsberg likes this

#2 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

That is great potential for infill. I hope it will be done with some style and imagination.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

That is great potential for infill. I hope it will be done with some style and imagination.

The project size and scale is comparable to the Tally Ho proposal, so there is a potential here for great design...

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:33 PM

As long as the three larger buildings don't repeat the same design, should be good.

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:00 PM

As long as the three larger buildings don't repeat the same design, should be good.

My bet is on exact same design, possibly variations in cladding and colour.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

I wouldn't bet against you.

#7 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

This project (under the existing townhouse complex address at 1211 Gladstone) went to Fernwood's CALUC on April 3, so I anticipate that we'll see an application (with renderings) soon...

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

...There is a plan by CRCH to build 155 units of affordable housing *behind private property* on Chambers avenue in Fernwood on the west side of property owned by the school district (i.e. Vic High), the city, and BC Housing...

Why do I find myself less-than-enthused about a low-rise, "affordable" housing project in Fernwood?

compost.JPG

It's going to have to be pretty spectacular to out shine the Compost Education Centre after all.

#9 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

Nice work, Kapten!

Citified profile: https://victoria.cit...tals/caledonia/

155-units-of-affordable-housing-pitched-for-Vic-High-lands-in-Victoria's-Fernwood-neighbourhood.jpg

Identified in blue is the future site of a 155-unit housing complex between the 1200-blocks of Gladstone Avenue and Grant Street adjacent to Victoria High School. Earmarked for nine lots, the project site will require a land swap between the City of Victoria and the School District of Greater Victoria in order to proceed.

155-units of affordable housing pitched for Vic High lands in Victoria's Fernwood neighbourhood

A land swap between the City of Victoria and the School District of Greater Victoria could yield a $50 million multi-building affordable housing complex immediately west of Victoria High School’s running track.

The Capital Region Housing Corporation (CRHC) is pursuing municipal approvals to develop a 155-unit rental project comprised of two five-storey buildings, a four-storey building and two rows of townhomes on leased school district land.

Spanning nine parcels between the 1200-blocks of Gladstone Avenue and Grant Street east of Chambers Street, the project is envisioned to yield 38 one-bedroom, 97 two-bedroom, 16 three-bedroom and four four-bedroom suites with the townhome component situated at the north end and two five-storey buildings at the south end. The four-storey building will rise to the north of the five-storey buildings. [Full article]

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Capital-Region-Housing-Corp.-reveals-155-unit-affordable-housing-project-next-to-Vic-High-aerial.jpg

Capital Region Housing Corp. reveals 155-unit affordable housing project next to Vic High

https://victoria.cit...xt-to-vic-high/

• Brantastic likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

The school district just approved this swap:

https://www.cheknews...ap-plan-625630/

#12 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

This one goes to Advisory Design Panel tomorrow

• Bernard likes this

#13 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:27 AM

The Times-Colonist has this update, along with an updated rendering of one of the buildings:  https://www.timescol...s-ok-1.24073234

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:40 AM

building "affordable housing" at $272k per door.  when it can be done elsewhere and differently for $100k or less.

#15 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:18 PM

gladstone.png

Updated plans were submitted in April, and this is going to CotW on Thursday May 7... 

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

Glad to see they recessed that top floor so this giant 4-storey tower mostly only reads as 3 floors.

• Kapten Kapsell and DavidSchell like this

#17 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:06 AM

Glad to see they recessed that top floor so this giant 4-storey tower mostly only reads as 3 floors.

If only there was another 4-storey building in the neighbourhood to ease people's fears, perhaps a 100-year-old building on the heritage registry that is fiercely defended against demolition by the community....

• Nparker likes this

#18 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:29 PM

Here’s the CHEK coverage of this development: https://www.cheknews...-school-666850/

#19 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:37 PM

This is moving to a public hearing:
https://www.timescol...ring-1.24131992

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

Should propose it as a "temporary" building and bypass public consultation altogether.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users