Photo

The Dog thread.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

Any mods think this thread should be in the urban issues section? Seems like an urban issue to me.

More off-leash areas coming for Victoria
Songhees Hilltop, Pemberton and Banfield parks OK'd
Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, July 05, 2008

#42 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

Locked doggie bag dispenser,

#43 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

Any mods think this thread should be in the urban issues section? Seems like an urban issue to me.

Done!

#44 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

Locked doggie bag dispenser,

Indeed.

#45 klukkluk

klukkluk
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

Does the city have a right to have off leash bylaws applied to beaches, which are Federal Grounds?

I'm asking this because when I moved to this beautiful country 8 years ago I was lucky enough to live in White Rock. When walking my dog people told me that you ARE allowed to go on the beach with your dog because it is federal property the city has no jurisdiction there they told me.
Here in Victoria everybody seems to obey the bylaws and don't enter the beach with their dog when it is not allowed.

I remember a few years back when a dead cow washed up on Dallas Road beach the city contacted the federal authorities to have the carcass removed at their expense. Can the city pick and choose which rules they apply?

Not that I want to promote bad behaviour. But early in the morning when there are no people on the beach I like to walk my dog there.

Can someone shine a light on this?

Thanks.

#46 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

That's an interesting thought. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to this.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#47 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

Having previously owned a foreshore lease I believe that from the water up to the "high water mark" (hide tide mark) can be governed by both the federal and provincial governments. (depending on the issue). From the high water mark inland would be governed by the municipality. (the beach and anything inland)

If the cow washed up on shore and came to rest below the high water mark, which would seem reasonable, that would in my mind be the responsibility of the federal government.

Summary.....dead cows...federal...... live dogs...municipal.

Another thought that I just has was that it would seem reasonable that you could take your dog to the high water mark on a leash and then let it off leash to swim and chase sticks thrown into the water. You should also be able to walk your dog below the high water mark.

Just go on days with low tides.

#48 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

I shudder to think how many studies we would have to conduct to determine the best way to remove it if a whale somehow washed up above the high water mark.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#49 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

You knew this was coming didn't you Seb?

tbidGgVDdaI

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

North Saanich veterinarian warns dog owners of Raccoon Roundworm

A Veterinarian from a North Saanich animal hospital is warning the public about what she believes is an outbreak of Raccoon Roundworm in Greater Victoria.

http://www.cfax1070....news&Itemid=155

http://www.bccdc.ca/...n Roundworm.htm

#51 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:51 PM

"‘Canine coronavirus’: Vets warn dog owners of new kennel cough outbreak

Vets are raising the alarm about a highly contagious respiratory disease in dogs that has been growing in numbers.": 

https://globalnews.c...cough-outbreak/

#52 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 10:32 AM

Not a “on leash” Oak Bay bylaw for McNeill Bay (certain times of the year) in the version listed.

“at large” does not have a definition given by the federal government but Oak Bay does:

““AT LARGE” means off the premises of the owner and unaccompanied by a competent person in control of the animal on any street, lane, highway, boulevard, park or other public place or on private property without the consent and knowledge of the owner of that property“

https://www.oakbay.c...verlay-context=

Unless I’m missing something?

Edited by todd, 19 September 2021 - 10:51 AM.

#53 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:19 AM

Mixed emotions about having dogs on leash every now and again I do let them off but most of the time keep them on leash and never go to busy off leash areas, so may open up those areas to me. I don’t believe in purposely socializing dogs with other dogs makes them act too much like dogs.

The part that bothers me is that it appears the liberal government is just making up definitions( unless somebody can point me to a definition ) for a 100 year old hunting law

I guess I can walk my canary down there now I think Emily Carr did that.

Edited by todd, 24 September 2021 - 07:20 AM.

#54 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,881 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 05:34 PM

Tiffany Mooney went to view sea lions, but found dead chickens instead.

The Courtenay office manager was “shocked and disgusted” Sunday afternoon when she discovered between 25 and 30 chickens dumped on the beach above the tide line at Kitty Coleman Provincial Park, north of Courtenay.

“It was very weird, and disturbing,” said Mooney.

What’s more, when she went back to the area Monday afternoon near the park’s boat ramp, the dead chickens remained there, untouched, even though Mooney had called the RCMP on Sunday to report seeing the birds.

A call to the Comox Valley RCMP to ask about the dead birds, or if a file on the matter had been opened, was not returned on Monday. The Comox Valley Regional District said the park is provincial jurisdiction.

https://www.timescol...mystery-5160472

“You would think if the chickens ate rat poison that a responsible farmer would burn the birds,” said Mooney. If the cause of dead was poisoning, she’s worried that scavengers like crows, eagles and mammals — even dogs — might eat the carcasses.

“When I was back today — 24 hours later — they still had not been touched. There were tons of eagles in the area, but there are no signs of pecking or anything. Somebody has to do something about this.”

Who calls the cops about dead chickens?   Karen.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2022 - 05:36 PM.

#55 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,881 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 05:01 PM

The scene was bleak for BC SPCA staff as they seized 123 neglected animals from a trailer in Fort St. James. A staggering 120 cats and three small dogs were taken from the property, where they were being kept in “filthy and unsafe conditions in a trailer,” according to the BC SPCA.

On June 9 residents reported seeing 5 SPCA trucks and vans at a trailer park in Fort St. James as staff dressed in hazmat suits and breathing masks cleaned out a trailer. BC SPCA confirmed the incident in a June 14 interview.

In addition to the 123 animals from the Fort St. James property, 130 deceased cats were found in freezers behind a trailer where the same individuals had resided in Vanderhoof.

https://www.ominecae...-in-vanderhoof/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2022 - 05:02 PM.

#56 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:18 PM

Puppy scam targets grieving Duncan woman

Jun. 14, 2022 

Tamara Watkin was brought to tears Tuesday, flipping through memories of her old dog Cooper, who died just months ago.

“I had him for 13, going on 14 years,” said the Duncan resident.

Yet, she said that grief is what scammers preyed on when she went looking for a new puppy.

“It’s people’s hearts and emotions that they’re playing with,” said Watkin.

Screenshot 2022-06-14 21.54.44.png

Watkin and her daughter found a rescue on social media, which called itself Revival Adoption Centre.

“With the name of it, I just thought it could be honest people because it sounded like a church group,” said Watkin.

After a few days texting with the rescue, the Duncan mom sent $950 by e-transfer for both a female puppy and to courier it, from what she said she was told was the rescue’s location in the Okanagan.

Watkin reported the loss to Duncan North Cowichan RCMP but she said she was told it appears to be an international scam and that she’s unlikely to ever see her money again. So the animal lover is hoping to save someone else from a similar heartbreak.

Screenshot 2022-06-14 21.56.05.png
A Duncan mom sent $950 by e-transfer for this puppy only to be learned that it was a complete scam.

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,881 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 01:12 PM

screenshot-www.vicnews.com-2022.10.15-17_11_35.png

23 golden retrievers gather for team photo along Nanaimo River

Photogenic pooches pose like pros for picture that’s making the rounds

https://www.vicnews....-nanaimo-river/

• Nparker likes this

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,881 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 05:28 AM

Saanich is launching a second round of public engagement aimed at developing a pet policy for its parks, where off-leash dogs continue to be a hot topic.

“There are ongoing issues with respect to dogs in parks and on beaches that are regularly dealt with,” said Saanich Mayor Dean Murdock. “Certainly off-leash dog parks are a very popular topic.”

https://www.timescol...n-parks-6449115

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 January 2023 - 05:28 AM.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 07:09 AM

An amazing story out of Sooke. Portia the dog went missing three weeks ago, and has been found! She roamed the wilderness and somehow kept the cougars at bay. People would catch glimpses of her, and that kept searchers feeling positive.

This scenario gives hope to people dealing with lost pets, that they can return, when we least expect it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,881 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 07:24 AM

Isn’t there like an AirTag for pets? Seems easy enough. Then send that drone in to get it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 March 2023 - 07:25 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users