• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#221 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

Too bad it's not provincial election time.  With all these crashes, surely they'd promise to keep fixing the Malahat.

We could also do a bit of work to fix drivers, too.

• AllseeingEye likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#222 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

Yet I did the Malahat today doing 100 and still people were passing me like it was the Indy 500. Settle the f down, people.
  • tedward likes this

#223 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

It's a horrible highway. I HATE IT. I absolutely loath driving the Malahat.

It desperately, desperately needs to be improved.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#224 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Holy crap. A vehicle has just slammed into a pole along the Pat Bay at Sayward.

What a night.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#225 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

Someone on facebook said the Malahat accident was caused by a blown tire on a camper that took out a motorcyclist. Unconfirmed.

• Mike K. likes this

#226 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

The Malahat really should have dividers the whole way.  There are many causes of crashes that don't have to do with the usual "speed or alcohol'.

• SamCB likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#227 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

It's a horrible highway. I HATE IT. I absolutely loath driving the Malahat.

It desperately, desperately needs to be improved.

Dividers the whole way would be a start. But they really need a bridge across the inlet. That would be a real game-changer.

#228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

Yes, yes it would.

Jeez, what a sad night on our roads. This is terrible :(

Know it all.

#229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

RCMP say the Malahat will not re-open until at least 3AM, and possibly as late as 5AM.

Know it all.

#230 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

malahat 2.jpg

malahat.jpg

Know it all.

#231 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

Was driving the Sea to Sky yesterday, same problem of people driving at insane speeds. Given the documented positive impact of photo radar in speed compliance, it really pisses me off that the Liberals are now literally killing people with their stupid pledge.

• Matt R. likes this

#232 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

Photo radar doesn't save lives, especially when speed is not a major cause of collisions. 

#233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

7AM re-opening now possible. Geez.

Know it all.

#234 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

Honestly.  They can't even create one lane to get people home?  This total closure stuff has to end.  When a suicide bomber blows up a bus in Israel they have the line re-opened in 2 hours.

• Baro likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#235 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

^I have to agree, with all due sympathy and condolences to the person who lost their life -- there could be any number of people who may lose their jobs, or livelihoods, or miss family reunions, or whatever because the road is closed. Time to figure out how to quickly reopen the road when this stuff happens. 

• Baro likes this

#236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

Yup.

Semi good news, highway will now re-open between 3AM and 4AM. That's a little better than 7AM.

Details are changing by the minute.

Know it all.

#237 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

I don't doubt there are a dozen or more people on the public payroll (nurses etc.) that can't come in tonight.  The cost of this type of closure is huge.  And everyone else coming home, they are just going to have to sleep in their cars for a few hours?  It's very dumb.  Open one lane somehow.  They should have a well-rehearsed process in place for this.  You spend one hour, tops, taking all kinds of photo and video of the scene, then you open a lane.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

Before we make assumptions, though, we should wait to see what the situation is like. If the incident involved a motorhome who knows what its position may be.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Possible opening as early as 12:30AM. Could be delayed until 3AM, however.

Know it all.

#240 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

Dividers the whole way would be a start. But they really need a bridge across the inlet. That would be a real game-changer.

The Malahat is a joke. RIP motorcyclist.

It needs not only dividers but to be divided with a big gap in between directions to really limit head on collisions. I imagine even people who survive head on collisions are left with really serious long-term injuries.

Edited by jonny, 31 August 2015 - 08:31 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)