City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#501 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:29 AM

With two councillors already residing in Esquimalt, do City of Victoria taxpayers want a third?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#502 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:14 AM

If an additional Esquimalt resident brought a fresh perspective to the CoV Council I would gladly welcome them.

#503 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:03 AM

She lives in esq. someone suggested her to me also. I’ve looked into her and she reminds me too much of Lisa helps. Rides a bike, climate change/ environment warrior, “we need to think in the future,” supported by that Carmen candidate. That’ll be a strong no from me. Would love to see someone from the business community on council.

Um, people from the business community can be bike riders and care about climate change issues, and that's not just limited to the bicycle shop owners.  There are entire businesses in Victoria built around environmental issues, but - beyond that- I've come across multiple executives in the private sector who bike or ride transit to their jobs.  And of course there are entrepreneurs like Shane Devereaux (owner of Habit Coffee and Sherwood Cafe) that get around primarily by bike.

Geoff Young isn't a private sector guy, but he's got a PhD in economics from Harvard and he rides his bike to/from City Hall.

I think it would be good to have the perspective of a business leader on council, but I don't think that would preclude such a person from being engaged on environmental issues...

• Rob Randall, Greg, John M. and 1 other like this

#504 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

Yup, for sure.

I have an uncle who bikes around town almost exclusively. He’s a pretty astute businessman, and loves his bike.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#505 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

Why not have someone from VV run?   Use it as a chance to raise the issues that get talked about here and drive more traffic to the forum

#506 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

Why not have someone from VV run? ..

I am sure many folks on VV couldn't take on two "full time" jobs.

#507 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

I am sure many folks on VV couldn't take on two "full time" jobs.

While only becomes an issue if you win

#508 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

While only becomes an issue if you win

What's the point in running if you don't think you will win?

#509 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

What's the point in running if you don't think you will win?

There are other reasons to run.  You can build up a name for yourself for future elections.  You can steer the conversation to the issues that matter.   You can learn how to campaign.   You can build a team for future elections.  You can give people an option on the ballot that is not odious to them.   Is that enough for a start?

#510 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

I think the reason a lot of business people in Victoria are uninterested in running for council, in addition to the time commitment, is the legitimate fear of retribution against their business from certain political elements in the city.

• Belleprincess likes this

#511 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

There are a lot of people who are not business people that could run and represent a rational approach to local government

• Greg likes this

#512 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:39 AM

There are a lot of people who are not business people that could run and represent a rational approach to local government

I agree. So why haven't they put their names forward.

#513 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

Likely because they're not interested in being in the spotlight. Gone are the days when you can be a municipal politician and live a quiet life. Now you've got a completely different realm of privacy incursion.

Know it all.

#514 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

Um, people from the business community can be bike riders and care about climate change issues, and that's not just limited to the bicycle shop owners.  There are entire businesses in Victoria built around environmental issues, but - beyond that- I've come across multiple executives in the private sector who bike or ride transit to their jobs.  And of course there are entrepreneurs like Shane Devereaux (owner of Habit Coffee and Sherwood Cafe) that get around primarily by bike.

Geoff Young isn't a private sector guy, but he's got a PhD in economics from Harvard and he rides his bike to/from City Hall.

I think it would be good to have the perspective of a business leader on council, but I don't think that would preclude such a person from being engaged on environmental issues...

....?

Is someone actually suggesting that business people don't care about environmental issues?  doesnt really dignify a response.  those kinds of careless generalizations are exactly why we're polarized and yelling at each other.  stop generalizing.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#515 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

Likely because they're not interested in being in the spotlight. Gone are the days when you can be a municipal politician and live a quiet life. Now you've got a completely different realm of privacy incursion.

How about a healthy fear of abject failure in an impossible situation?

(13 munis that are in constant conflict with each other and outside agencies, complicated by a massive non-gov.)

I was brought up with the idea of service but i'll stick to grass-roots volunteerism, thanks.  I don't care about the abuse; it's the price of leadership and it isn't exclusive to politics.   But council "service" looks like a comedy of egos, all grandstanding for attention, accomplishing nearly nothing and many people I know are specifically not interested because of it.

To me, the blame lies squarely with the province.  Our province is gutless and confused about it's responsibility to municipalities.  So much more could be done to support them, hold them to a standard, offer training and consulting resources.  Related, did any of you watch the video of Revelstoke council when the one councillor resigned over the pay raises?  These folks need help!

In fact, given that the authority for Victoria (every municipality) is delegated by statute, I'd like to argue that the Province is legally culpable.   The delegation creates the responsibility and this cluster _______ we call municipal governance rests at the feet of Selina Robinson.  

If enough of us write to her about this point, and the paper takes it's up, change will finally happen.  It will take a lot of noise and more cray-cray BS from the munis.  Hope.

• Mike K. likes this

#516 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:38 PM

council "service" looks like a comedy of egos, all grandstanding for attention, accomplishing nearly nothing...

Ugh. This for sure. 

#517 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

Catherine Holt is leaving the Chamber, obviously very doubtful but I can dream I suppose.  A by election win would pave the way to the Mayor's chair in the next election perhaps?

• Nparker, Greg and rmpeers like this

#518 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:41 PM

Catherine Holt is leaving the Chamber, obviously very doubtful but I can dream I suppose.  A by election win would pave the way to the Mayor's chair in the next election perhaps?

I know Catherine.  Havent asked her but... I get the impression she's been holding her nose to work with council from day 1.  My estimation is less than a 4% chance.

• rjag and DavidL like this

#519 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

Yeah.....

#520 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

I know Catherine. Havent asked her but... I get the impression she's been holding her nose to work with council from day 1. My estimation is less than a 4% chance.

As I suspect would be the position of most moderates, so the likelihood of someone from outside the activist class running is depressingly low.

Edited by DavidL, 30 January 2020 - 07:59 PM.

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)