Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#541 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,783 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

The moment a person feels like it's time to give up - to abstain from voting, to abstain from voicing their reasonable and logically held positions, to abstain from politely challenging the stupid is the moment we are all truly lost

Unfortunately I see nothing on any part of the political spectrum that even gives me a glimmer of hope anymore.

#542 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

Unfortunately I see nothing on any part of the political spectrum that even gives me a glimmer of hope anymore.

I'd argue that happened when the NDP slate arrived.  why should i hope for a system so fundamentally corrupt?    if (by some unimaginable miracle) all influence, outside the individual voter, were provably eliminated, I'd get hopeful.  right now I believe that the NDP runs Victoria as a sandbox and we suffer for it.

• rjag likes this

#543 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

Don't stop caring.  The moment a person feels like it's time to give up - to abstain from voting, to abstain from voicing their reasonable and logically held positions, to abstain from politely challenging the stupid is the moment we are all truly lost.  It's also the moment to double down and say "Enough!" in a way that you can be heard.

my concern is there is no one stepping up to be that reasonable logical person to challenge the status quo .. it's all just the same... at this point who is there really to vote for if you want to vote for change

• Nparker and Stephen James like this

#544 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:10 PM

my concern is there is no one stepping up to be that reasonable logical person to challenge the status quo .. it's all just the same... at this point who is there really to vote for if you want to vote for change

I believe Stephen Andrew might be seriously considering it at this point.  Have you seen the A Better Victoria facebook page?

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#545 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:24 PM

I believe Stephen Andrew might be seriously considering it at this point.  Have you seen the A Better Victoria facebook page?

i do hope he does.. if he does he has my vote and hubbys vote...and if my kid could vote he'd have her's too lol (she listens to cfax in the car with me and we talk about what we hear) i do follow new council victoria.. but not a better victoria.. i'll have to look that up

• Mike K. and Stephen Andrew like this

#546 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:17 PM

Any indication if Mr Andrew Reeve would try again?

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#547 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

We won't see any last minute saviours at this late date.

#548 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:24 PM

Anybody who isn't already door knocking is going to struggle at this point. There has been little media focus and what I'm hearing is that few know there is a by-election happening.

#549 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:14 PM

Here are the stats from the last City of Victoria by-election in 2010

City of Victoria 2010 By-Election Results
  1. Marianne Alto   4529
  2. Barry Hobbis    3220
  3. Steve Filipovic 2280
  4. Rose Henry      1799
  5. Sue Woods       1361
  6. Paul Brown      1065
  7. Saul Andersen    331
  8. Hugh Kruzel      330
  9. George Sirk      299
  10. Pedro Mora       116
  11. Rimas Tumasonis   59
TOTAL - 15389

The by-election that time was happening at the same time as the referendum on the bridge which I think drove the vote up.   I think a turnout of 10% to 13% is realistic.   This means a turnout of about 8,000.   3,000 votes should be enough to have a decent chance of winning

#550 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:09 AM

The reality is that any individual running is going to need a team and funding to oppose any TV candidate. I don't see such an organization in place for any other candidate at this point. Unfortunately left leaning supporters seem to have lots of free time to campaign whereas small business owners are working 60 hours a week just to meet payroll.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#551 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:05 AM

3,000 votes should be enough to have a decent chance of winning

You'll need a bit more than that with three running

#552 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:12 AM

Stephen Andrew would be a good bellwether as a candidate.

If the general population in the CoV is unhappy with the direction council is headed, he’ll easily pull it off. If they like where things are going, TV will have an easy victory.

If there are 2,000 people relatively upset with their council and follow local politics they’ll get out to vote, there’s no doubt about it. A candidate more aligned with Young and T-J or Alto is a shoe-in if the sentiment in the city has indeed changed.
  • Stephen Andrew, Daveyboy, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#553 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:00 AM

You'll need a bit more than that with three running

I suspect we will see  8 (6 to 10) people actually in the race with #4 to #8 taking about 2,500  voters meaning the top 3 will share about 5,500 votes.     I have looked over past by election results in the CRD and the winner has tended to get about 1/3 of the vote.

#554 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,783 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

When asked on Facebook if he would be running in the upcoming by-election, Stephen Andrew stated:

Capture.PNG

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#555 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

Interesting...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#556 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:37 AM

The tide might be turning - Fairfield's favourite, Mr. Sunshine, received a warning from Victoria bylaw enforcement at 10:03PM last night.  

Edited by Awaiting Juno, 06 February 2020 - 10:37 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#557 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

Apparently the RVs disappeared last night from Dallas Road. I suspect the bylaw visit had something to do with that.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.

#558 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

An account suggests one of the men who was approached by a City employee yesterday on Dallas Road became quite angry and had to be talked down by another camper.

Know it all.

#559 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,783 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

From a recent post on "A better Victoria's" Facebook page.

Capture.JPG

• rmpeers likes this

#560 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:55 PM

Jeez, I don't know about this. I want him to win but it's going to be a tough battle. Third time lucky, I hope. 

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users