Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1001 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:23 AM

I think I understand a bit more now. The byelection was announced late in 2019. The max contribution that year was $1200. So everyone in the family maxed out their 2019 allowance. In 2020 the amount was raised to $1224.60. On Jan. 1, 2020  the family again made the maximum contribution of $1224.60 with Riga adding an additional $1200 as the candidate is allowed to do. 

#1002 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

I wish I could take credit for the BHP petition, but someone with more courage and belief in our political system than I have was responsible. I'd like to say I was surprised by the CoV council ignoring the results, but sadly I was not. For the most part, council are despicable bunch for whom I have zero respect.

The thing the petition gives is essentially a mailing list, from which you can take the petition and translate it into action.

• Nparker likes this

#1003 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:27 AM

I don't know what BC or Canadian laws are, but in the US they have restrictions on donations from minors. A child in America is allowed to donate to a political campaign but it must be voluntary and it must be proven the child is and has always been in control of the money.

#1004 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

I don't know what BC or Canadian laws are, but in the US they have restrictions on donations from minors. A child in America is allowed to donate to a political campaign but it must be voluntary and it must be proven the child is and has always been in control of the money.

Under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act in BC, there's no age restrictions on who can make a campaign contribution - you just have to be a resident of BC, and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. But there are prohibitions against "indirect contributions" - you can't make a contribution with another person's money [s. 26 (1)(f)], and you can't give money to somebody else for them to make a contribution on your behalf [s. 26 (2.01)]. So unless these kids are independently wealthy...

• Rob Randall, Nparker and On the Level like this

#1005 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

Under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act in BC, there's no age restrictions on who can make a campaign contribution - you just have to be a resident of BC, and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. But there are prohibitions against "indirect contributions" - you can't make a contribution with another person's money [s. 26 (1)(f)], and you can't give money to somebody else for them to make a contribution on your behalf [s. 26 (2.01)]. So unless these kids are independently wealthy...

On her official campaign Facebook page there is a post dated June 3 saying that the family's bikes were stolen and they can't afford to replace them and they were not insured as they cannot afford insurance.

#1006 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

Maybe her campaign can invest in some bikes for going door-to-door.

#1007 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:26 AM

Bikes would be a legitimate expense for efficient, green campaigning. But I'm sure the expensive consultants and professionals shown on her expense reports have already advised that.

And it is interesting to spend $6723 for salaries and professional services for a candidate that doesn't even have a web page.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#1008 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:08 AM

not for ilhan omar

#1009 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:53 PM

So I went through the listing and read the "Candidate Profile" from the city website then checked out the individual websites, facebook pages etc for each candidate.  I am not sure that the "Candidate Profile" always provides a realistic view of the motives and intentions of the individual seeking the position.  Sometime Facebook, Twitter or their website is more telling.

Here is what I understand after reading through the materials;

Stephen Andrew City Focused

• Focus towards City Business / Represents all electorate 

Jeremy Caradonna - A Mix

• On one side we have some special interest ("climate policymaker", shift from Natural Gas)  
  • On the other, affordable housing is logical ("increase supply and develop holistically") anti-slate and notes current divisiveness

Peter Forbes - City Focus

• Business Owner / Builder.  Doesn't say much on the "Candidate Profile" but his facebook page outlines City Services, City Infrastructure and stating that the focus would be on city neighbourhoods. 

Riga Godron Unknown but slight lean to Special Interest 

• The Narrative in the "Candidate Profile" is very upbeat about how wonderful everyone is....doesn't say anything about her focus or reason for seeking the role. 
  • She was a Together Victoria Candidate. 
  • Website as listed in the TC article appears to be gone or down? 
  • References to addressing Indigenous issues and devoted to her kids.  

Stefanie Hardman (Together Victoria) - Special Interest

•   Affordable housing (non-market), Free Transit, Housing First

Gordon Mackinnon - Unknown

• The "Candidate Profile" lists that he has painted 7 telephone poles in Fernwood, Cyclist Response Team, part of Emergency Management Victoria, volunteer with Fernwood NRG’s, Seniors Yoga and High Tea. 
  • I don't know what he expects to do as a councilor or why he is running. 

Rachael Montgomery - A Mix

• Is an environmentalist, note plastic bags, climate leadership
  • Works in healthcare, notes prosperity/strong economy

Keith Rosenberg - A Mix leaning to City Focus

• strong special needs advocate
  • veteran, "common sense attitude to local politics and budgeting", "staunch supporter of Victoria’s Police force".  First impression - he wouldn't put up with the shenanigans in council and wouldn't be as reserved in his responses like Young is. 

Alexander Schmid - City Focus

• The "Candidate Profile" lists Laboratory instructor at the University of Victoria, Owned and ran an electronics repair business for 25 years, Member of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
  • His website lists Traffic, Public Transit, "half-baked" bike lanes, more communication

• Nparker likes this

#1010 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

I noticed there weren't a lot of donations to Stephen Andrew's campaign. Not enough to match the enthusiasm there is for him around here.

We need to step it up and put our money where our mouths are. 

• Nparker, Stephen Andrew, Awaiting Juno and 5 others like this

#1011 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:01 PM

I noticed there weren't a lot of donations to Stephen Andrew's campaign. Not enough to match the enthusiasm there is for him around here.

My worry is that, as much as I sense growing opposition to the current council, if people don't have a real sense of who can best make a positive change, the votes will get spread around and TV wins because they have a strong campaigning machine.
  • Stephen Andrew and Awaiting Juno like this

#1012 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:03 AM

his campaign needs a strong bagman.  someone needs to go ask people for money all day every every day.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 July 2020 - 02:04 AM.

• Rob Randall, Stephen Andrew and rmpeers like this

#1013 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:45 AM

Hardman is being talked about on social media, she’s still participating in dialogue, and of course TV is quietly humming along and continuing to collect small donation after small donation.

I’m not seeing that among any of the other candidates.
  • AndrewReeve likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1014 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Rob.

To explain - when it looked like there was no point in moving forward due to the health concerns and uncertainly, we didn’t accept donations - we didn’t want to write a bigger check to the city for money raised that we could not spend. There are several cheques that will now flow to the new
Campaign.

It was a very strange time. The minute covid fears hit - money stopped flowing online. I think it was a “wait and see” approach and given the election laws on financing, I very happy people held off.

Also, we began raising money on February 7. With a longer lead in, we expect a better result

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 12 July 2020 - 08:55 PM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1015 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

I just wish a new date for the by-election would be set. Each additional moment spent with the current unchallenged council is pure torture. I am honestly not sure if the CoV will survive.
  • Stephen Andrew, Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#1016 calawson

calawson
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:33 AM

Please sign my petition demanding that the by-election be held without delay.  https://www.change.o...toriabyelection

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1017 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:10 PM

My vote is easy. Stephen Andrew - not an ounce of hesitation & I don’t care who else is running
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1018 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:34 PM

I just hope there isn't a bunch of vote splitting that allows another terrible TV candidate to get in.

• Love the rock likes this

#1019 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:29 PM

I just hope there isn't a bunch of vote splitting that allows another terrible TV candidate to get in.

I'm hopeful that now people are seeing what TV are really about, e.g. crime good, police bad, they will not be so easily fool by the seemingly harmless feel-good meaningless wording of their campaign ads.

#1020 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:43 AM

I hope you're right, but it seems TV supporters are Trump-like in their blind devotion.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users