Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1021 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

I will be on CFAX1070 with Adam Stirling Monday 9:15 to talk about my campaign for #Victoriabc council, what needs to be done to help business & residents cope with emergency shelters.There ARE solutions. The city CAN do “something”. Join me please. Thank you
  • Nparker, rjag, todd and 6 others like this

#1022 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

I thought your chat went well, Stephen.

• Stephen Andrew and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1023 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

Will this program be repeated or is it available online?

#1024 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:19 PM

7PM.
  • Nparker and Love the rock like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1025 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:46 PM

Here is my interview with Adam Stirling on C-FAX 1070 This morning

https://www.stephena...tephen-in-media

#1026 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:49 PM

Thank you Stephen.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#1027 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:12 PM

Bonnie Henry asked by reporters earlier about possibility of fall election after John Horgan said there was "an opportunity" for one. She brought up the cancelled byelections as reasons why she's looking into safe ways to hold an election but gave no timeline. 

#1028 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:53 PM

Bonnie Henry asked by reporters earlier about possibility of fall election after John Horgan said there was "an opportunity" for one. She brought up the cancelled byelections as reasons why she's looking into safe ways to hold an election but gave no timeline.

The COV needs to figure this out. Also Elections BC.

Council should give staff direction on this ASAP.

#1029 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:53 PM

Now's the perfect time to do away with the whole thing. Just say it's too dangerous and suspend them permanently for health reasons.

#1030 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:41 AM

Now's the perfect time to do away with the whole thing. Just say it's too dangerous and suspend them permanently for health reasons.

Obviously I have an interest and do not support this vision.

The questions that need to be asked, “When is it safe?” , “Do we suspend elections until there is a determination it’s safe or the pandemic is over?”

We’ve had three months to figure out how to move forward and by now some plan should be on the table. The fact it isn’t shows council isn’t interested in providing the voters their right until it suits their political goal - perhaps when “certain” political parties have raised resources for the campaign?

Of course the pandemic is top of mind. It absolutely should be and we need to protect each other.

But, I argue, if we can go for a beer, sit in a movie theatre, shop in a grocery store (albeit with restrictions and awareness), surely we can find a way to participate in the most important tenant of our democratic society.

Under legislation, the council does not need to fill the seat on council if it can stall until April 2022. Let’s get moving.

S
  • Nparker, lanforod, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#1031 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:43 AM

the provincial government should step in and make these things happen.

the current council has no interest.

• Stephen Andrew, grantpalin, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

#1032 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:54 AM

Now's the perfect time to do away with the whole thing...

Obviously I have an interest and do not support this vision.....

I believe (hope?) tanker was being facetious.

#1033 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

An election must be announced months in advance and we are in the middle of a pandemic that changes day-to-day. Council is afraid of carving a date in stone only to have it coincide with a possible future Covid flare-up, putting them in the position of either forging ahead regardless or having us endure another maddening cancellation.

If they forge ahead they will likely choose a Fall election, perhaps the traditional early November date. If they chicken out it won't be until Spring 2021.

I'm sure in they future they will look back and admit August 2020 would have been ideal: the virus is at an ebb, and the weather would have permitted open air voting at RAP and other venues--no need to line up in a cramped gymnasium.

#1034 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:10 AM

...Council is afraid of carving a date in stone only to have it coincide with a possible future Covid flare-up, putting them in the position of either forging ahead regardless or having us endure another maddening cancellation...

Council is afraid they cannot guarantee another TV victory with the current state of local politics. They will delay as long as legally possible and probably then some; just to "keep everyone safe" of course.

• Stephen Andrew and grantpalin like this

#1035 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

You could also argue delaying the election gives Andrew and others time to gain momentum. And citizens could tire of TV over the next few months.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#1036 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:30 AM

...citizens could tire of TV over the next few months.

Citizens were tired of TV by November 2018.

#1037 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

One of the most fundamental advantages Andrews has is being a resident of Burnside-Gorge. There needs to be a major focus on that neighbourhood in his campaign, IMO. If you can rally 80% of the vote in that neighbourhood alone you're going to be a tough candidate to beat.

• Nparker, grantpalin, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

Know it all.

#1038 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

Just dominate that neighbourhood with signage. It is home to the three of the busiest road corridors in and out of Victoria - Douglas, Blanshard, Gorge. Don't wait for signage creation, start making them now and stake your claim with the largest signs at every intersection on day 1. Be weeks ahead of everyone else in that neighbourhood.

Know it all.

#1039 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:16 AM

Burnside-Gorge has never been the richest source of votes compared to south Victoria. But there is anger there right now. Andrew can capitalize on it but he has to offer more than just I feel your pain.

• Awaiting Juno and JimV like this

#1040 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

Burnside-Gorge has never been the richest source of votes compared to south Victoria. But there is anger there right now. Andrew can capitalize on it but he has to offer more than just I feel your pain.

There's anger in South Victoria too - it's seething over Beacon Hill Park....the business community has had more than enough.  Indeed the only places happy with current lot seem to be North Park (excepting N. Parker) and Fernwood.

• NotHudsonMack and Kungsberg like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users