City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1081 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

Yes they are ineligible, just like business owners are. :) When we start opening things up maybe corporations would like a say as well, as if they don't already anyway.  Think when Microsoft came they were silent or think the City was excited to have them and would have listened to their comments.  Just saying businesses have major pull...

It's simple, you can't give a business owner a vote because you can't take away a residents vote ergo the business owner vote is captured in the resident vote. Sure, some owners live outside municipal boundaries that they operate in, but while I don't have data, I'd imagine the standard deviation to the outcome would be merely a rounding error.

How do you give owners of publicly traded companies a vote? Is it the franchise owner? The shareholders? WHERE DO YOU STOP!?

#1082 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

I think he is going to manage it...

More people attend concerts than vote in the CoV election. I want to give the municipality more credit than to believe they can’t handle a voter registry. I mean c’mon, you guys. This is basic, simple stuff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1083 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:28 PM

maybe the same people that run the libraries do victiria elections.

#1084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

It's simple, you can't give a business owner a vote because you can't take away a residents vote ergo the business owner vote is captured in the resident vote. Sure, some owners live outside municipal boundaries that they operate in, but while I don't have data, I'd imagine the standard deviation to the outcome would be merely a rounding error.

How do you give owners of publicly traded companies a vote? Is it the franchise owner? The shareholders? WHERE DO YOU STOP!?

You make exceptions, like publicly traded companies not getting a vote. It’s really not that difficult.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1085 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

More people attend concerts than vote in the CoV election. I want to give the municipality more credit than to believe they can’t handle a voter registry. I mean c’mon, you guys. This is basic, simple stuff.

JuSt GiVe BuSiNeSs OwNeRs A vOtE...because every business is a sole prop and it should be so easy, right?

#1086 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:35 PM

Why should people who live outside your municipality be allowed to vote in your municipality? 

Why should people who live outside my municipality be able to run for political office in my municipality and make decisions that affect me, but not them.

• Stephen James and FogPub like this

#1087 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:36 PM

Why should people who live outside my municipality be able to run for political office in my municipality and make decisions that affect me, but not them.

Where did I argue that people living outside your municipality should be able to run? neither should be allowed.

#1088 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

Where did I argue that people living outside your municipality should be able to run?

I didn't say you made this argument; just that is it happening and it shouldn't be allowed.

#1089 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:41 PM

I’m still waiting for someone to show me this “pull” business owners have.

Know it all.

#1090 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:48 PM

Do away with voting altogether. Problem solved.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1091 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

I’m still waiting for someone to show me this “pull” business owners have.

I'm sure you can connect the dots on how much pull business owners have on what goes on in Victoria.

#1092 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

Microsoft came ...and very quickly went. Whatever “pull” they had they weren’t around long enough to benefit from it.

And this didn't have anything to do with the pull they had...

#1093 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:59 PM

End of the day, to make administration possible, the amount of eligible business owner votes (as it would likely have to be only sole proprietorships solely operating in CoV with the owner living outside of CoV) would be so minimal it would not move the needle at all.

#1094 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

End of the day, to make administration possible, the amount of eligible business owner votes (as it would likely have to be only sole proprietorships solely operating in CoV with the owner living outside of CoV) would be so minimal it would not move the needle at all.

Because remember, and here comes a shocker...25-30% of them would show up on voting day and not all of them will vote for the same person!

Edited by GetLisaSomeHelps, 24 July 2020 - 01:01 PM.

#1095 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

And just to be clear - I hate what's going on in this City just as much as the next person so don't start calling me a Helps or TV apologist!

#1096 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:18 PM

As a CoV voter I have never felt as disenfranchised as I have since the October 2018 civic election. With the exception of one council member, I don't feel that any elected representative shares my concerns or values. I often wonder if I will be able to muster up enough enthusiasm to vote in the next Victoria campaign.

I hope you do. When I see 67 vote victories I know we need every vote possible
  • NotHudsonMack likes this

#1097 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:19 PM

...When I see 67 vote victories I know we need every vote possible

True enough. To get you on council Stephen, I will make the effort.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#1098 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:22 PM

Four of your City of Victoria councillors can’t even cast a vote for themselves as they don’t live in your municipality. Two vote in Saanich, two will vote in Esquimalt.

To be fair, Alto and Thornton-Joe are able to register as non-resident property owners.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1099 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

This administration was possible back before we had computers and modern technology like we do today, and business owners had a vote.

In the modern era I refuse to believe the practice is too complicated to reintroduce.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

And just to be clear - I hate what's going on in this City just as much as the next person so don't start calling me a Helps or TV apologist!

And you’re not having your business broken into with regularity, your security cameras pulled, your employees threatened, and that’s after you’ve cleaned faeces from your front doorway for that day. But the business owner down the street is. And because he lives in Saanich, he’s got no say in what’s happening to the business he invested $150,000 in to open and for which he pays the City $2,000/month in property tax.

When a guy like Love Dodd is asking the City for help, and the mayor tells him he should hire security to deal with what he calls a “nightmare,” whatever pull you think the business community has might not actually exist.
  • Love the rock, Awaiting Juno, jasmineshinga and 1 other like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)