City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#341 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:23 PM

...i have it on good authority that this is the inspiration for Comrade Ben's next target...

Attached Images

• landlordsm.jpg

#342 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:02 PM

Sounds like she is running for MP rather a muni council.

Definitely fits the TV mold.

Would be interested to hear why she is not running for TV. Except for 1 casual mention of business she sounds just like laurel, sarah and shamarke did last year.

Too inexperienced to even know that TV would be the best shot for someone of her ideology to get elected or is there some shady backroom politics going on?

#343 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

...i have it on good authority that this is the inspiration for Comrade Ben's next target...

Just to be clear, the landlordism referred to in the graphic are the owners of the land and the numbers are the "ground rents" or lease payments they collect each year.    They do not have anything to do with the buildings.   This ground rent is a holdover from deep past as some of the feudal rights of the nobility.  

#344 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:06 AM

Would be interested to hear why she is not running for TV. Except for 1 casual mention of business she sounds just like laurel, sarah and shamarke did last year.

Too inexperienced to even know that TV would be the best shot for someone of her ideology to get elected or is there some shady backroom politics going on?

Or maybe she's being strategic.  Maybe she feels like Isitt is too close to TV and has tarnished the brand with demands for a raise (among other things) and as a result has chosen to distance herself.

#345 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

Then, once elected, she'll fall in line with the Bencolytes. That might be the most odious of all political strategies.

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#346 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 09:28 AM

It’ll be interesting to see the addresses of the by-election candidates.

Can we push for six elected officials being non-residents?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#347 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

Or maybe she's being strategic.  Maybe she feels like Isitt is too close to TV and has tarnished the brand with demands for a raise (among other things) and as a result has chosen to distance herself.

I feel it's more pragmatic. To get the TV nod she has to audition with all the other hopefuls. And maybe one of them is already their secret favourite. The TV leadership will go through the motions of a candidate convention but I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a person in mind.

#348 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:31 PM

Are you sure she's not really a TV candidate? :muching_out:

Eff. The last thing we need is an ideologue who virtue signals and plays into the climate change hysteria. Maybe I’ll run ... I’m considering.
  • Midnightly, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#349 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:31 PM

That's a pretty strategic move by Montgomery. TV now fields a strong candidate and the vote is split or they put up a weak candidate and she gets in. A centrist that does not have a vote splitter has just become electable though. Montgomery is quite popular and well known around the city so this has just gotten interesting.
  • Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#350 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:21 PM

Montgomery is quite popular and well known around the city so this has just gotten interesting.

Really? Her name has been floating around about the byelection for many months now and I dont know a single person who knew anything about her. 

#351 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:35 PM

Not going to happen this by-election.  Need to make room on my plate first, 2022 is a maybe, 2026 is likely feasible.  Of course by then I'll be too experienced to be viable and will lose all of my youthful allure as I'll be broaching 50.  Cloning is a hard no - but I'd be happy to help support those who are like minded.

Based on the performance of the current council it could frankly use some more 50-somethings to provide experience, perspective, and lend a degree of maturity - not to mention practicality - to counter the more impulsive ideological impulses of certain of its younger members.....

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#352 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

So the Together Victoria hopefuls vying for the coveted spot are:

• Kyle Empringham
  • Karmen McNamara
  • Stefanie Hardman
  • Riga Godron
  • Tyson Riel Strandlund
  • Kari Sloane
  • Hilary Marks
  • Ryan Moen

https://www.together...fOJcHg9SY4pRai0

Advance nominations for the TV position will be today at the Atrium (800 Yates St.) 5:00 pm-7:00 pm. and tomorrow from 11:00 am-1:00 pm at Koffi (1441 Haultain St.).

Then the main nomination will be held Saturday:

Where: First Metropolitan Church (932 Balmoral Rd).
When: Sunday, January 5th at 3:30pm.

Details:
- Doors open at 2:30pm.
- Meeting starts at 3:30pm.
- Candidates will each have three minutes to deliver a speech.
- Doors will be closed at 4:15pm for the first round of voting. Please note that if you arrive after the doors are closed, you will not be admitted. We will also not be permitting ins and outs.
- Only active members will be admitted in to the nomination meeting.
- There will likely be multiple rounds of voting. Please prepare to be there for at least 2 hours.

Edited by Rob Randall, 02 January 2020 - 10:32 AM.

#353 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:54 AM

Ryan Moen (Ry-Mo) and Godron are the only two former council canddiates, yes? The other names don't ring a bell.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#354 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:59 AM

Ryan Moen (Ry-Mo) and Godron are the only two former council canddiates, yes? The other names don't ring a bell.

I believe you are correct. However, past campaign experience will be no help as you can expect both candidates to be eliminated in the first round of voting. They are scattered and disorganized.

• Mike K. likes this

#355 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

...you can expect both candidates to be eliminated in the first round of voting. They are scattered and disorganized.

I thought that was sought after quality in TV candidates.

• NotHudsonMack and mbjj like this

#356 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:59 AM

My patented fool-proof prognostication of the TV nomination:

1. Karmen McNamara
  2. Stefanie Hardman
  3. Kyle Empringham
  4. Kari Sloane
  5. Hilary Marks
  6. Tyson Riel Strandlund
  7. Ryan Moen
  8. Riga Godron

Now, the question will be how many of the losers go on to run as independents? Godron and RyMo for sure as they don't spend any money and have nothing to lose.

For the other serious candidates it will come down to how much money they can raise. The burden is greater because now they are off the TV bandwagon and must win on their own.

Edited by Rob Randall, 02 January 2020 - 11:59 AM.

• Bernard likes this

#357 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

1. Karmen McNamara
  2. Stefanie Hardman
  3. Kyle Empringham
  4. Kari Sloane
  5. Hilary Marks
  6. Tyson Riel Strandlund
  7. Ryan Moen
  8. Riga Godron

Now, the question will be how many of the losers go on to run as independents? Godron and RyMo for sure as they don't spend any money and have nothing to lose.

For the other serious candidates it will come down to how much money they can raise. The burden is greater because now they are off the TV bandwagon and must win on their own.

aren't the campaign finance limits pretty darned small for councillors?

#358 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

$27,416.40

#359 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

• Karmen McNamara
  • Stefanie Hardman
  • Kyle Empringham
  • Kari Sloane
  • Hilary Marks
  • Tyson Riel Strandlund
  • Ryan Moen
  • Riga Godron

Karmen looks to fit the part perfectly. Anti-police leanings, #climatecrisis, not much at a glance that seems to have much to do with local government...
  • Nparker likes this

#360 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

1. Karmen McNamara
  2. Stefanie Hardman
  3. Kyle Empringham
  4. Kari Sloane
  5. Hilary Marks
  6. Tyson Riel Strandlund
  7. Ryan Moen
  8. Riga Godron

Stephanie is definitely the favourite of the existing membership. Unless Karmen signed up massive numbers of members (which is unlikely, since she had to do it before December 5th, and she would also have to recruited many more than her opponents as well) Stephanie will win easily. I even think that if Stephanie were to somehow be eliminated, Kyle Empringham would beat Karmen as well

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users