City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#881 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:49 AM

2022 is too long to wait

This, but I agree that another few months likely won't make much difference on the local political scene.

#882 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:47 AM

2022 is too long. Just postpone it to this fall, make it the usual election date and that’s far enough away that we’re likely to be well out of the woods.
  • mbjj likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#883 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

In a council with 8 , what happens when votes are tied ...?

#884 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

they go down to defeat.  just like when one councillor is missing for any reason (sick / away / excused from discussion and vote for conflict).

#885 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:57 PM

Assuming they all show up. It's very common for one or more councillors to be absent for a number of reasons so if you're already one person down that's a pretty thin thread.

I was leaning toward don't change the date but this is extraordinary. I now think we should postpone. Not just the crowds gathering at the polling station on election day but the act of campaigning. Nobody wants people knocking on their door right now handing them flyers or being intercepted on a street corner. 

#886 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:59 PM

Nobody wants people knocking on their door right now handing them flyers or being intercepted on a street corner. 

especially if one candidate spray paints a big cross onto each door he has visited.  that's bad form at this time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 March 2020 - 06:00 PM.

#887 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

Nobody wants people knocking on their door right now handing them flyers...

To be fair, I don't want anyone knocking on my door, handing me political flyers at any time.

#888 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

Shouldn’t we be canceling council meetings under the circumstances?

#889 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:14 PM

probably.

#890 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:31 PM

Shouldn’t we be canceling council meetings under the circumstances?

Why? Surely the CoV must have access to Skype or other online meeting/messaging tools. 

#891 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

^ Probably some rules about being public unless declared in camera.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#892 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:19 PM

Aren't all non-in camera meetings already available online as they happen? If they aren't, it's not exactly rocket science to make them available. Surely this would be enough public scrutiny under the current circumstances to allow at least the basic decision making of the CoV to continue. 

#893 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:07 AM

Since everything I say is going to be viewed through a campaign lens, I post thoughts here. However, I think they’re more appropriate in another thread.

So here goes....

We need leadership at this time. Leadership from all levels of government.

If I sat at the Victoria Council table today, my focus would be on doing everything in local government’s power to alleviate pressures on our citizens and business.

Times Colonist editor and publisher Dave Obee already suggested to remove parking fees downtown to help stimulate downtown businesses. It’s a start. But, we could do more...

Council should work to eliminate the lift in property taxes. Preferably we should see no increase in property taxes.

The Beautification and community grants program should be suspended. I think there are going to be higher priority pressures on our spending.

The city should renegotiate it’s free city bus pass program to divert the expense of unused passes to ease economic pressures.

All discretionary spending should cease immediately.

Capital projects should be reviewed.

The additional 20 plus postions the city plans to add to its payroll should be delayed or cancelled.

These are just a few ideas from my view - what are yours?

This is where our leaders should focus until we are in a more stable landscape.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Stephen
  • rjag, A Girl is No one and Stephen James like this

#894 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:29 AM

^ Maybe it is a good time to shrink the 180 priorities down a little, like to single digits.

Don't be too hard on the Mayor, I am sure that she has a plan. She is just waiting for her backers to tell her what it is!

Edited by spanky123, 16 March 2020 - 06:30 AM.

#895 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:33 AM

Times Colonist editor and publisher Dave Obee already suggested to remove parking fees downtown to help stimulate downtown businesses. It’s a start. But, we could do more...

but some health authorities (like ottawa city) say we should not even venture outside our own homes except if we have to.

#896 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:35 AM

but some health authorities (like ottawa city) say we should not even venture outside our own homes except if we have to.

And that is a large part of the problem. We have our "experts" across the country telling folks different things. That leads to confusion and distrust.

#897 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:49 AM

Since everything I say is going to be viewed through a campaign lens, I post thoughts here. However, I think they’re more appropriate in another thread.

So here goes....

We need leadership at this time. Leadership from all levels of government.

If I sat at the Victoria Council table today, my focus would be on doing everything in local government’s power to alleviate pressures on our citizens and business.

Council should work to eliminate the lift in property taxes. Preferably we should see no increase in property taxes.

The Beautification and community grants program should be suspended. I think there are going to be higher priority pressures on our spending.

The city should renegotiate it’s free city bus pass program to divert the expense of unused passes to ease economic pressures.

All discretionary spending should cease immediately.

Capital projects should be reviewed.

The additional 20 plus postions the city plans to add to its payroll should be delayed or cancelled.

These are just a few ideas from my view - what are yours?

This is where our leaders should focus until we are in a more stable landscape.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Stephen

This is a dramatic, and true, statement:  

We have a fraction of the ventilators that would be needed if the outbreak came anywhere close to the level it's at in northern Italy.   If it happens, doctors will have to lower the age at which someone will be denied a ventilator.  

Doesn't it behoove us to do anything we could to avoid this?

Our leaders (in name, I do wonder...) need to wake up and start communicating effectively.  This does not include any more non-answers like, "this is  rapidly evolving situation", for goodness sake.

The election should be postponed, full stop, until such time as it's safe, both real and perceived.

#898 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:59 AM

• resources will be stretched thinner - more than ever the city needs to focus clearly within it's jurisdiction
  • set and example for support: lay no-one off and continue to pay even part time staff:  the economy needs money to move
  • redirect resources to community needs, using triage:  support for the most vulnerable
  • create a communications hub, focusing on/including the outside resources that will be most engaged: island health, first responders, hospital authorities, funeral homes.
  • look to the worst hit communities and build infrastructure now: schools and arenas as testing and triage facilities.  Build quarantine locations.
  • look for ways to use 2020 tax revenue to support the economy
  • communicate more

Edited by Taco, 16 March 2020 - 07:00 AM.

• Rob Randall and Stephen Andrew like this

#899 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

Another aspect to the social distancing is to reduce accidents/hospital visits to ensure capacity is available should this thing go nuts.

It’s not just about keeping people away from the virus.
  • Stephen James likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#900 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

Another aspect to the social distancing is to reduce accidents/hospital visits to ensure capacity is available should this thing go nuts.

It’s not just about keeping people away from the virus.

what?  getting closer to people might land you in hospital?   maybe a few sports.  i assume most couples are still sleeping in the same bed.  that's tens of millions of canadians getting close every night.  and day sometimes even.  :rtfm:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 March 2020 - 07:22 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users