City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1661 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:21 AM

Potts and Dubow are really something.

The strategy here confuses me. There are probably less than one handful of non-TV diehards that read anything Potts and Dubow have to say on facebook yet Stephen amplifies their message by raising awareness of it.

This is what I mean when I suggested that TV has political clout and organization behind it. The incumbents pick the fight and drag Andrews into it while Hardman sits on the sidelines taking the high road and looking more restrained and disciplined. Politics 101.

#1662 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:30 AM

Local man-about-town and a well known figure in the arts community, Roshan Vickery, is running. I just learned today. I don’t know what his platform is about.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1663 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:57 AM

...Roshan Vickery, is running...I don’t know what his platform is about.

His platform is to split the vote and allow for a TV victory.

• GaryRanson and On the Level like this

#1664 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:43 AM

His platform is to split the vote and allow for a TV victory.

Note the TV vote could also be split by a "progressive" - so I'm not sure that this candidate will actually carve off from Andrews support.  

#1665 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:56 AM

Note the TV vote could also be split by a "progressive" - so I'm not sure that this candidate will actually carve off from Andrews support.  

TV is too mobilized and funded to have another siphon too many votes.  

The strategy here confuses me. There are probably less than one handful of non-TV diehards that read anything Potts and Dubow have to say on facebook yet Stephen amplifies their message by raising awareness of it.

This is what I mean when I suggested that TV has political clout and organization behind it. The incumbents pick the fight and drag Andrews into it while Hardman sits on the sidelines taking the high road and looking more restrained and disciplined. Politics 101.

He is also amplifying his message and getting his name out there (since someone is stealing his signs and trying to silence him).  TV likes to portray itself as an example of godliness, yet you have these two in the gutter throwing stones.  Someone should point it out.

• Nparker and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#1666 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:27 AM

Solid journalism from Victoria Buzz

Gosh, just like Trump has his 'Trumpets' supporters, who will latch onto and throw around any baseless inflammatory accusations to the masses, it looks like the TV orbit is using those same Trump tactics to discredit SA.

We are really seeing a downplaying of the homeless/crime issues plaguing our city. Convenient timing?
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#1667 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

This is not a recent thing, KS. This is how politics works. The last four years just exposed it for what it actually is, as well as the level of partisanship in allegedly non-partisan media.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1668 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:59 AM

I don't think local politics has ever been quite as blatantly partisan as it has become since the Helps/Isitt and most recently the TV era.

• mbjj and rmpeers like this

#1669 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:08 AM

He is also amplifying his message and getting his name out there (since someone is stealing his signs and trying to silence him).  TV likes to portray itself as an example of godliness, yet you have these two in the gutter throwing stones.  Someone should point it out.

As Mike said, this is how politics work. Surrogates go out and do the dirty work so that the candidate can keep the high ground. Getting dragged into the mud is a proven way of losing support which is why political parties do it. Instead of using his audience's short attention span to talk about his own agenda, SA is defending himself.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#1670 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:13 PM

As Mike said, this is how politics work. Surrogates go out and do the dirty work so that the candidate can keep the high ground. Getting dragged into the mud is a proven way of losing support which is why political parties do it. Instead of using his audience's short attention span to talk about his own agenda, SA is defending himself.

True. TV has Hardman serving up bland statements, while Potts handles the vicious attacks. I'd be curious to know if Potts followers still buy her "nice" facade. They'd have to be pretty dim, but...

#1671 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:20 PM

^ I am sure Potts' followers think she is defending the party, very noble of her.

There is a fine line here. I think most people opposed to TV want another Geoff Young type personality on council; firm but reasonable and measured in his approach.

I am sure that many want someone to go in and start taking names and kicking butt but that is not the majority and will likely result in TV retaining control if that is the message.

Edited by spanky123, 18 November 2020 - 08:21 PM.

#1672 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

I think most people opposed to TV want another Geoff Young type personality on council; firm but reasonable and measured in his approach.

Yup. In other areas (provincial/federal) I'm not generally in league with the "hang 'em high" contingent (municipal politics are a different beast) but I don't really want to encourage the TV group. I feel some misgivings about Mr. Andrew. Geoff does indeed seem reasonable and I would like another candidate along his lines to help balance things out a bit.

#1673 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:58 AM

Yup. In other areas (provincial/federal) I'm not generally in league with the "hang 'em high" contingent (municipal politics are a different beast) but I don't really want to encourage the TV group. I feel some misgivings about Mr. Andrew. Geoff does indeed seem reasonable and I would like another candidate along his lines to help balance things out a bit.

Call me. 250-412-8888
  • Nparker likes this

#1674 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

I think Stephen is the best to bring some balance to the current council. I think he is genuine. And it really could not hurt to have some diversity of opinions on council. I wish him best of luck.
  • zoomer, rjag, GaryRanson and 3 others like this

#1675 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:27 PM

Which neighbourhood is she the liaison for? 

True. TV has Hardman serving up bland statements, while Potts handles the vicious attacks. I'd be curious to know if Potts followers still buy her "nice" facade. They'd have to be pretty dim, but...

#1676 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:41 PM

Which neighbourhood is she [Potts] the liaison for? 

Burnside-Gorge

#1677 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:11 PM

Yikes, I wouldn't want her coming to my house, lol. One time Chris Coleman paid us a visit. I wish he were still on council. 

#1678 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:38 PM

Lots of SA signs in James Bay, many on private property.  I’ve only seen one of hers in front of a house.  In fact, apart from the big one at South Park, that’s the only SH sign I’ve noticed in JB.  Hopefully that means something.

#1679 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:30 PM

I saw a sign for Rob Duncan? The slogan was "homes for the many not for the few." So just another commie. 

Might help split the vote.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1680 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:08 PM

I saw a sign for Rob Duncan? The slogan was "homes for the many not for the few." ...

What an idiotic slogan. Most people have homes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users