UNDER CONSTRUCTION
1124 Vancouver Street / 941-953 View Street
Use: rental
Address: 941-953 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1124 Vancouver Street / 941-953 View Street is a proposal for a six-storey purpose-built rental complex along ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1124 Vancouver Street / 941-953 View Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1124 Vancouver Street / 941-953 View Street | Rentals | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:41 PM

You beat me by 10 minutes :)

Too late to correct myself but YoY is actually between Blanshard/Quadra. Haven't been in downtown as of late...

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:46 AM

Yes, and the YoY walkway has been closed during construction.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:33 AM

The most recent example of a walkaway bombing is the one built next to the Yello on Yates, connecting Yates with View between Douglas/Blanshard. It was supposed to be open during the day but it's now closed permanently. The walkway led directly into the patios of ground floor apartments so it was bound to fail.

We've been criticizing the CoV for its misguided notions about such walkways since forever. It's crazy how they still can't seem to grasp the fundamentals. Suffice it to say, if the walkways are of the "pleasant commercial lane" variety (like the lane behind the Hudson, or what was planned for Northern Junk) then they have a chance of working. If the walkways are of the "dangerous side alley" variety, then they will not work. It's as if somebody highly placed in the CoV is determined to keep trying to prove that a purpose-built "dangerous side alley" might end up surprising everyone and not be such a terrible misfire after all.

The mid-block walkway thing is a textbook example of that Victorian tendency to stubbornly refuse to follow Victoria's own successful example. Victorians love to turn their backs on their own successes, and Victorians love to double-down on their own failures.

• zoomer and m3m like this

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:42 AM

Here's a comment by some SOB on the interwebs about a different purpose-built walkway (circa 2009):

If there's no legitimate reason for folks to use it then I expect it will probably get a gate on it soon enough. A lonely public corridor in that part of town would likely be a magnet for all sorts of undesirable activity.

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:44 AM

Victorians love to double-down on their own failures

It's a case of follow the leader.

#66 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:48 AM

I'm saying let's not get to crazy with the open space on this lot because the lot next door, the one beside View Towers, that must have an alley of some sort because of the Lunds Auction alleyway easement. So planners have to keep in mind the overall picture. 

Right now you can use mid block walkways to go from Pioneer Square on Meares all the way to the Market on Yates.

#67 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,310 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

is millie's lane a roaring success?  can you name on business in there (other than the restaurant aguara or whatever)

is the mid-block walkway between 747 fort and the parking lot/library?  

i don't know.

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:59 AM

Some more observations about mid-block passages:

March 2019

The challenge of mid block walkways...

Of crappy ones, anyway.

--

June 2017

It's as if the city has advocated for these mid-block passages while never really coming to terms with why they're doing it. What's the point If there are no meaningful standards for the environments within? Shortcuts for the sake of shortcuts?

The passages need to be attractive (dare I say it, "hidden gems") so that they get a regular flow of traffic, so that the user gets rewarded for entering, and so that residential and/or commercial uses might actually be able to succeed within them. I'm making a distinction here between mid-block passages as merely serviceable shortcuts as versus mid-block passages as instruments for enhancing the downtown environment. The "serviceable shortcut" aspect should be way down on the list of concerns. Heck, it shouldn't even be a concern at all.

Era and the Hudson did it right. The passages need to have personality or else they're pointless. If a passage lacks personality then all you've done is accommodated that small number of people who used to cut through the parking lot. Accommodating such people should be a concern for city planners? Give me a break. Anyway, I'll be surprised if these passages on the 800-block aren't duds.

--

May 2016

For all of those skeptics out there (myself included) re: purpose-built mid-block connectors, this one (beside Era on Yates) and the lane behind the Hudson show us that they can work. I'm probably stating the obvious but a commercial unit on at least one end that extends well into (and has windows facing onto) the passage seems to be a key ingredient.

--

December 2007

I still disagree with the arbitrary insertion of utilitarian little passageways that most people wouldn't dare to use, especially at night. I think the city should be calling for walkways lined with townhomes and cafes and fountains and gardens and such. Appealing mid-block pedestrian streets, as versus rather sinister little shortcuts for those bold enough to take advantage of them (in those rare instances where they actually present an advantage).

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:00 AM

is millie's lane a roaring success?

The part added by the Era development is good. An entire lane like that would be great. (not uniformly the same from one end to the other, but pleasant from one end to the other)

• G-Man and Nparker like this

#70 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:12 AM

I personally think that this building’s design represents one of the worst proposals to come to the city in recent years. I’m glad that ADP unanimously voted to reject it.
  • Promontory Kingpin likes this

#71 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:49 AM

I personally think that this building’s design represents one of the worst proposals to come to the city in recent years. I’m glad that ADP unanimously voted to reject it.

I think that these parcels are going to be sold off to another developer. Sit and hold is not the right strategy downtown at the moment and I don't think the Vancouver owners have enough experience with this council to keep throwing mud at the wall.

#72 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:14 AM

Yes, and there are examples here as well (Capital Park, Dockside), but nobody wants mid-block walkways or hidden nooks and crannies anymore which have become enforcement liabilities.

It’s shocking what a few years have done. It really is.

I want them and I think a lot of the public appreciates them.
  • Brantastic likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#73 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:29 AM

is millie's lane a roaring success?  can you name on business in there (other than the restaurant aguara or whatever)

is the mid-block walkway between 747 fort and the parking lot/library?  

i don't know.

If this is the walkway that comes out by Browns the Florist, I've been using it for thirty years. However, lately I tend to avoid it as there is often someone plonked there on the bench that I would rather avoid, esp. if I'm on my own.

#74 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:13 AM

This project got its first substantial redesign since its original submission over a year ago (plans are up on DevTracker); 163 units are planned.

New rendering:

view-vancouver update.png

• newbie_01 likes this

#75 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:16 AM

^ What, no dedicated bike lanes?

#76 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:10 PM

It looks like a three dimensional excel spreadsheet.

They filled in a couple of rows and then draged that little plus in the corner to copy it onto six more rows.

Edited by qv, 19 March 2021 - 08:10 PM.

• zoomer, spanky123, Mattjvd and 1 other like this

#77 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:41 PM

This is going back to DRA CALUC.

See the developer’s latest response to city concerns here: https://tender.victo...420084632908185

#78 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 09:54 AM

This proposal is going to CotW on Thursday, Sept 9.

• Mike K. likes this

#79 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 02:00 PM

This is going to a public hearing at Council meeting on Feb 10.

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 02:26 PM

This is going back to DRA CALUC

This proposal is going to CotW on Thursday, Sept 9.

This is going to a public hearing at Council meeting on Feb 10.

What a tedious process.

• corvus likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users