2020 Summer Olympics

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,292 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:02 PM

I suppose they will blame others for their performance, but continuing down that road won't get them very far.  

yes.  having an olympic medal would have been much better for their (post-sports) careers than any activist credentials they now have.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2021 - 12:02 PM.

#42 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:50 PM

^ Looks like Rugby Canada's mens development lead will get fired for saying what most Canadians are thinking.

Rugby Canada condemns criticism of 7s team, with some coming from within | CTV News

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

^ Looks like Rugby Canada's mens development lead will get fired for saying what most Canadians are thinking.

Rugby Canada condemns criticism of 7s team, with some coming from within | CTV News

Fired.

https://nationalpost...pic-womens-team

Interesting Human Resources policy, No hearing or formal meeting before they fire a person over 280 written characters?

https://nationalpost...pic-womens-team

at least one woman on our team thinks “all cops are bastards”. and I guess is praised for that stance.

realistically they should separate the organization into the men’s and women’s altogether. it’s a different mindset.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2021 - 03:36 PM.

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:40 PM

^ I don't know why people apologize and are made to beg to keep their jobs only to be fired anyways.

General Dany Fortin at least had the guts to stick his middle finger firmly in the air and maintain his dignity.

• On the Level and Victoria Watcher like this

#45 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:55 AM

If an entire team of players don't respect you as their coach, then you're a crappy coach and it's time for you to vacate the position.

Same goes for a teams front office and management.

Legendary coaches are revered by those they've coached, and their legacy perpetuates long past the end of their coaching days.

Keeping it local, I'll use UVic's Mr. and Mrs. Shields as an example of what real coaching looks like.

Edited by Spy Black, 31 July 2021 - 06:55 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#46 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:07 AM

If an entire team of players don't respect you as their coach, then you're a crappy coach and it's time for you to vacate the position.

Legendary coaches are revered by those they've coached, and their legacy perpetuates long past the end of their coaching days.

Keeping it local, I'll use UVic's Mr. and Mrs. Shields as an example of what real coaching looks like.

some of this is true.

but if you change the general mindset of the team members to believe that hard coaching or long training sessions or singling out individuals for criticism is now "bullying" then you find that teams give up on their coaches sooner than they would have in the past.

#47 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:18 AM

some of this is true.

Not to be disagreeable ... but actually, all of this missive is true.

Again, not being disrespectful, but there is a straw-man element to your response, in that you note "some of this is true", but then expand in a direction unrelated to what I wrote?

What part of my post "isn't true"?

As an aside, anybody who might think Mr. and Mrs. Shields weren't tough as nails would be instantly confirmed to know absolutely nothing about their coaching styles ... but it's all about a coach having consummate respect for their players, which both had in spades, and which the women's rugby 7's leadership and coaching staff very publicly were severely lacking in.

A lot of coaches and their support staff make a habit of conveniently forgetting that they too have an employer ... and in this case, the "employer" made the correct decision, and the correct dismissals.

Edited by Spy Black, 31 July 2021 - 07:19 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#48 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:34 AM

i say some of this is true because sometimes it's not an "entire team" that revolts.  it's one or more outspoken members.  that "bully" the rest to go along.

one person that might do that is charity williams.

tc-310120-web-305657a645854041a86940f7bf

she of the ACAB mural.

Victoria Police Department and the City of Victoria declined an interview request for this story.

Williams says she will not allow the artwork to be changed or altered in any way.

https://www.vice.com...olice-are-angry

Williams says she will not allow the artwork to be changed or altered in any way.

^ sounds like something a bully would say.  "my way or the highway".  if i want to write ACAB on the public art, nobody can change it.

someone selfish like that on the team - or in the locker room - is very toxic.  more so than a "tough as nails" coach like shields or tait.

https://www.vicnews....re-peace-mural/

The organizer behind a mural that sparked months of discussions with the City of Victoria about censorship says she’s disappointed the mural is being altered.

“We are in the midst of erasing, erasing lived experiences and people’s voices, and also an artist’s work. It’s disappointing. But this is also a step forward,” said Charity Williams.

The mural, painted in August, spells out More Justice, More Peace and has been the center of discussion after Victoria Police Chief Del Manak opposed the acronym ACAB – which stands for All Cops Are Bastards – that was included in one letter.

On Wednesday a group of artists came together to black out the letter that included the acronym. To replace ‘ACAB’ there are now three eagle feathers. The phrase: “This letter has been censored by the City of Victoria influenced by the Victoria Police Department. In doing so, Victoria is contributing to the silencing of Black and Indigenous voices and experiences across this land,” is also to be added.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2021 - 07:48 AM.

#49 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:29 AM

I agree but in this case we don't know if it was the entire team or, as VW suggested, a few bullies.

With respect to the ACAB mural and protest, it is worth noting that the BHAS didn't not ask or agree to having the mural painted the way it was. They were awarded funds by the CoV and had a group of artists paint what was supposed to be a different design. Their only fault, in my opinion, was dropping a knee to the protesters rather than standing up to protect their image and brand.

Edited by spanky123, 31 July 2021 - 08:32 AM.

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:33 AM

...“We are in the midst of erasing, erasing lived experiences and people’s voices, and also an artist’s work....

But removing and destroying statues of historical figures is OK.

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:34 AM

The other sport that is grueling, requires long hours of work and is coached aggressively is swimming. We should fire those coaches as well, especially on the women's team. That way we can go to the Olympics and not have to worry about getting any medals or causing any stress for our youth. The only issue that might arise is the tidy little sum that Canada pays its elite athletes every month. Perhaps that should be changed to base the payment on how woke one is.

I wonder if China's coaches are judged as harshly as ours?

Edited by spanky123, 31 July 2021 - 08:35 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#52 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:53 AM

i say some of this is true because sometimes it's not an "entire team" that revolts.  it's one or more outspoken members.  that "bully" the rest to go along.

And what will happen is that the instigators will quit and take on their activist jobs, and the team and organization will be left to deal with the mess.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#53 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:59 AM

Looks like new coach may have to be fired now as well. Blames conditioning as a reason why the team lost. That suggests that the players were out of shape which is body shaming and justification for termination.

Canada coach Mick Byrne, an Australian, said a necessary focus on getting back to fitness rather than playing competitive games.

https://www.cbc.ca/s...evens-1.6123161

#54 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:44 PM

Canada will next face the United States, who beat the Netherlands 4-2 in a penalty shootout, with a spot in the gold medal game on the line.

It will be a rematch of the London 2012 semifinal match where the U.S. beat Canada 4-3 despite a hat trick from Christine Sinclair.

The match between Canada and the U.S. is scheduled for 4 a.m. ET/ 1 a.m. PT on Monday.

https://www.sportsne...cer-semifinals/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2021 - 01:45 PM.

#55 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:41 PM

With all the mental health issues coming out now perhaps we should just cancel the Olympics for good.

We shouldn't be out there damaging peoples psyches just to get some medal, right? 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#56 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:09 PM

It does seem odd when we praise athletes that are having these issues then 30 seconds later there's an RBC commercial with an athlete praising her sponsor for, in her words, "pushing me beyond my limitations".

All these sports, from skateboarding to diving to acrobatic skiing, it's no longer good enough to do 360s and doubles, you have to do triples and quads to even be competitive and they're spinning in the air for so long it's no wonder they can lose track of their location and get themselves in serious danger.

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 05:06 AM

News 1130:

Andre de Grasse repeats at bronze medalist in men's 100m Olympic final

Andre de Grasse has won bronze in the men's 100m final at the Tokyo Olympics.

Running in the far outside lane, the Markham, Ont., sprinter crossed the finish line in a time of 9.89

It's the fourth career Olympic medal for De Grasse and it matches the bronze medal he won five years ago in Rio. He's also the first Canadian male athlete to win a medal for Canada at these Games, which have so far been dominated by female athletes.

#58 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:46 AM

With all the mental health issues coming out now perhaps we should just cancel the Olympics for good.

That, or introduce new events such as: “victimhood”, “frailty”, and “virtue signalling”.

Oh, and everybody gets a medal just for trying.

#59 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:49 PM

Are things that different now at these Olympics or have people just changed?  

As the medallists posed for photos, Saunders raised her arms and crossed them into an X shape. She said it represented "the intersection of where all people who are oppressed meet."

The 25-year-old, who is black, gay, and has spoken frankly about her struggles with depression, said she wanted "to be me, to not apologise".

After competing, she said she aimed to give light to "people all around the world who are fighting and don't have the platform to speak up for themselves".

"I'm part of a lot of communities, God dang," added Saunders, who twerked in celebration after her final shot put throw.

https://www.bbc.com/...canada-58048727

The sprinter, who was due to compete in the women's 200m event on Monday, had complained on social media about being entered into another race at short notice.

She says she was "put under pressure" by team officials to return home and asked the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for help.

"They are trying to get me out of the country without my permission," she said

https://www.bbc.com/...europe-58046183

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:52 PM

it’s mostly women athletes with the problems.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users