PROPOSED
NEXT Gallery
Uses: commercial, civic
Address: 1040 Moss Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
NEXT Gallery is a proposal to expand the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria's 1040 Moss Street facility in City o... (view full profile)
Learn more about NEXT Gallery on Citified.ca
Photo

Art Gallery of Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

Did I miss it or did the TC totally pass on this story?

I looked twice but saw nothing. Of course I didn't read the arts section...

I guess I would have thought city ineptitude would be front page news.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

With regards to the lease/ownership situation, there has been a cloud of uncertainty over which it would be. I guess I assumed they were to lease it given some of the information coming out from community meetings.

The fact that they were to own it is like putting lemon juice on the open wound this whole AGGV showdown has become. This is such an unfortunate outcome :(

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

It was made very clear to me by Shirley Madill and others at the AGGV that the gallery would own the space. Unfortunately, several board members of the local Community Associations have been eagerly spreading information that would suggest otherwise.

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

The Art Gallery of Greater Victoria is contemplating a $14-million renovation and expansion at its Rockland location rather than moving downtown as long planned.

Read more:
http://www.timescolo...0424/story.html

A good question is raised in the comments. Why should New York City's major galleries be so much better than Victoria's?

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Read more:
http://www.timescolo...0424/story.html

A good question is raised in the comments. Why should New York City's major galleries be so much better than Victoria's?

Because they have 30x the population to pay for them?

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

You think? Your theory might hold water.

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

For those keeping score at home, I was identifying yet another instance of that Victorian fetish for making unflattering comparisons between their city and the great cities of the world.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Are you allowed to drink wine at a New York art gallery event? I hear that's taboo around these parts of the world.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

So $14M to pay for a 10k sq ft reno? Must be some pretty fancy digs.

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

IMHO, this money would be much better spent investing in a new downtown location. For what it's worth the main reason I don't visit the AGGV more often is exactly because of its out-of-the-way location, and I bet at least 50% of all visitors to the city don't even know we have a (pretty decent) art gallery.

#31 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

IMHO, this money would be much better spent investing in a new downtown location. For what it's worth the main reason I don't visit the AGGV more often is exactly because of its out-of-the-way location, and I bet at least 50% of all visitors to the city don't even know we have a (pretty decent) art gallery.

The old mansion is a barn and not suitable for displaying art. Money spent at the present location is money wasted.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

THIS guy just donated $2.5M to the Gallery, for renovations to the current space.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Jeez, you'd think that after 40 years of planning for a new location the gallery would have like a billion dollars in the bank and could just pick any spot it liked and build a new Guggenheim for itself!

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

The art gallery of Regina must be PISSED.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

The planned transformation of the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria is inching closer after architects were chosen for the project this week.

Victoria-based Moore Architecture Inc. Associated Architects will provide expertise in local heritage alteration, while design plans will be created by Vancouver-based LWPAC Lang Wilson Practice in Architecture Culture Inc.

“We are excited by the prospect of expanded public space for community engagement, the increased state-of-the art exhibit space and the improved and expanded storage facilities," said John Tupper, AGGV director.

The AGGV board whittled down a list of 18 teams of architects before deciding on the two firms, Tupper said.

http://www.vicnews.c.../250350471.html

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Anyone seen this? I would love to see a better picture of the concept drawing. This is going to be a massive project!

http://moorearchitec...-as-architects/

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Wow...

Victoria-Art-Gallery.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

^ That's a serious fire-ant problem.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'd like to see this addition in context of the existing "modern" portion of the gallery. It's hard from the above rendering to know if it is going to wrap around or replace that portion of the gallery. Of course, I still would prefer to see the entire space relocated downtown.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

This is an early, early conceptual design. It's likely a direction the AGGV will want to go in but we'll have to wait a while for more concrete design cues.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users