Photo

COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#7581 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:11 PM

the "sunbelt spike" is over.  no hospitals were overburdened.

I read this and didn't believe it. ;)  Of course I don't believe everything I read, but I'm not sure I will disbelieve something because I don't agree or want to hear it.  I feel like you've made up your mind, like back in march and will not hear anything that would make your assumptions incorrect.  I'm just throwing that out there, I haven't gone back to research you musings from back then, I just feel that you are not a mind changer.  We continue to learn about this pandemic and certainly things are different and have changed.  But it's not going away and will likely come back so hang on to your heels.  We've been lucky here and maybe didn't need to even close down but there is an effort to keep the old folks safe.  I really wish that the above statement was true but cognitive thought tells me this is a snap shot and still bad things are coming.

Edited by Ismo07, 05 August 2020 - 12:12 PM.

• Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#7582 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:37 PM

I’ve been pretty consistent.

At the risk of a banhammer I'll refrain from saying what you've been pretty consistent at.

• SimonH, Brayvehart, m3m and 1 other like this

#7583 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,028 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:39 PM

see that's what i don't get about people that talk about banhammers.

i think it should be "ban hammers" or at best "ban-hammers".   :teacher:

#7584 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:03 PM

see that's what i don't get about people that talk about banhammers.

i think it should be "ban hammers" or at best "ban-hammers".   :teacher:

Be right back, let me go get my "jack hammer"... :1954_dancing:

Edited by GetLisaSomeHelps, 05 August 2020 - 01:04 PM.

#7585 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:30 PM

A prof has admitted to creating a fake scientist/prof persona on Twitter who battled COVID for months, then died.

On Tuesday, the woman who founded the advocacy group MeTooSTEM, which was created to fight harassment in the sciences, admitted that she was the creator of a hoax Twitter account of a queer, Hopi scientist supposed to be an Arizona State professor who died of COVID-19 over the weekend.

On July 31, BethAnn McLaughlin, the founder of MeTooStem, announced on Twitter that the supposed professor, who went by the name “@Sciencing_Bi” on Twitter, had died of COVID-19 after battling the virus for months.

In May, @Sciencing_Bi wrote, “ASU kept teachers, staff and students on campus until April. That’s well after we knew this was a killer disease. Many got COVID. Including me.” The @Sciencing_Bi account had “said they were not named because of a fear of retaliation because they were bisexual and because they did not have tenure,” AZ Central noted, adding, “In mid-April, @Sciencing_Bi posted that they had tested positive for COVID-19.”

https://www.dailywir...-dying-of-covid

Yup. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7586 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:38 PM

OMG, a fake account on Twitter?  

/60-70% of Trump's followers on Twitter are estimated to be bots.

//It's still a pretty dumb thing for a Professor to spend their time on. I mean, it's not as unproductive as arguing with people on VV, but it's not exactly professorial.

• Brayvehart and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#7587 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:45 PM

I mean, it's not as unproductive as arguing with people on VV, but it's not exactly professorial.

You're telling me all these people arguing with Victoria Watcher are being unproductive?!

• Brayvehart likes this

#7588 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:01 PM

Fake followers are one thing, but a professor engaging in public deceit of this caliber, and weaving that complex of a web, is not common.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7589 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:24 PM

You're telling me all these people arguing with Victoria Watcher are being unproductive?!

I was thinking about one specific person who I know damn well should be spending their time more usefully!

• vortoozo and Brayvehart like this

#7590 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:38 AM

A Canadian company is telling the government today that its trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine on animals completely blocked the virus, but it must conduct human trials to know whether it has found a possible cure for the pandemic.

And a leading health-care expert says the findings are promising even though they haven’t been peer-reviewed.

Providence Therapeutics says it needs federal funding to move forward, but it has not heard back from the Trudeau government since May, the month after submitting a $35-million proposal to conduct first-stage human trials.

Providence has told the government it could deliver five million doses of its new vaccine by mid-2021 for use in Canada if it were able to successfully complete human testing, but it has heard nothing.

https://www.stcathar...en-in-mice.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 03:38 AM.

#7591 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:58 AM

how does anyone explain new york?

https://www.worldome...s/usa/new-york/

#7592 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:43 AM

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday it was possible the United States would have a coronavirus vaccine before the Nov. 3 election, a more optimistic forecast than timing put forth by his own White House health experts.

Asked on the Geraldo Rivera radio program when a vaccine might be ready, Trump said, “Sooner than the end of the year, could be much sooner.”

“Sooner than November 3?” he was asked.

https://www.reuters....3-idUSKCN25221Q

#7593 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:17 AM

this is good news.   but my experience says dine-in pubs and restaurants are not even remotely close to being back to 90% now.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rtons-1.5676409

Restaurant Brands International Inc. saw the pandemic take a big bite out of earnings last quarter, with sales down 31 per cent year over year despite a rebound during the past month as commuters return to the roads.

The absence of morning coffee consumers and afternoon snack seekers for much of the second quarter pushed down profits at the parent of Tim Hortons and Burger King by 37 per cent compared with a year earlier, the company said.

"The pandemic has had an especially pronounced impact on routine-based visits, including on the morning commute and afternoon snack occasions, which each represent a significant part of our business," RBI chief executive Jose Cil said on a conference call with analysts Thursday.

Nonetheless, system-wide sales have climbed back to 90 per cent of their pre-COVID-19 levels, he said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 07:17 AM.

#7594 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:42 AM

YANGON: A Canadian preacher who claimed Christians were safe from coronavirus was on Thursday (Aug 6) jailed for three months in Myanmar after he and dozens of his followers became infected when he held a banned service.

The Southeast Asian nation has so far weathered the pandemic well with just 357 confirmed cases and six deaths, although the low numbers tested make many fear the true figures are far higher.

Toronto-based David Lah, 43, was born in Myanmar and often returns to his motherland to preach.

The country imposed a ban on gatherings in mid-March, but footage emerged in early April of Lah holding a service in Yangon.

"If people hold the Bible and Jesus in their hearts, the disease will not come in," he proclaimed in one video to a roomful of faithful.

"The only person who can cure and give peace in this pandemic is Jesus."

https://www.channeln...19-ban-12995394

Antibodies to COVID-19 Grant Long-Term Protection, Icelandic Study Says
A study conducted by the Icelandic research company Decode Genetics found that older people generally carry more antibodies than younger people – and men more than women.
https://sputniknews....dic-study-says/

Researchers at the National Research Nuclear University MEPhI have created an LED installation to safely treat serious diseases, including COVID-19, the university’s press service said.

The installation, created by graduate students at MEPhI’s Institute of Engineering Physics for Biomedicine, Artem Shabanov, Denis Glechik and Alexei Nekhoroshev, is based on the photodynamic method, where the body’s large surfaces are irradiated with red spectrum light. The method was previously developed at the institute to diagnose and treat tumours, Victor Loshchenov, head of Department of Laser Micro-, Nano- and Biotechnologies at MEPhI, said.

"This is one of the newest therapies using photosensitizers. They are injected into the patient’s body, where they are captured by viruses and, under the influence of radiation, kill the virus. Photosensitizers deactivate the immunocompetent cells responsible for the cytokine storm, thereby avoiding the immune system’s deadly reaction to the virus. The photodynamic technique is highly efficient and has a minimum number of side effects; it practically doesn’t lead to complications", he said.

*snip*

He said that more than 40 COVID-19 patients have received the new treatment. Right after irradiation, the patients showed an increase in oxygen saturation, the pain in the lungs disappeared, and their sense of smell returned. This group of patients recovered much quicker than those patients who didn’t receive radiation.

https://sputniknews....treat-covid-19/

In a new study in Cell Discovery, Chen-Yu Zhang's group at Nanjing University and two other groups from Wuhan Institute of Virology and the Second Hospital of Nanjing present a novel finding that absorbed miRNA MIR2911 in honeysuckle decoction (HD) can directly target SARS-CoV-2 genes and inhibit viral replication. Drinking of HD accelerate the negative conversion of COVID-19 patients.

The search for clinically effective therapy for Covid-19 has not been successful to date. Many broad spectrum anti-viral agents have failed the test. In previous studies, Zhang's group has demonstrated that a plant microRNA, MIR2911, which is enriched in HD, could directly target influenza A viruses (IAV) including H1N1, H5N1 and H7N9. Drinking of HD can prevent IAV infection and reduce H5N1-induced mice death. They have also revealed that absorbed exogenous miRNAs (including MIR2911 in HD) can be packaged into exosomes, released to circulation, and then delivered into recipient cells as functional secreted miRNAs.

In the current study, they report that MIR2911 in HD can also suppress SARS-CoV-2 infection. The SARS-CoV-2 genome has up to 28 binding sites of MIR2911 which were confirmed by the classic luciferase assay. Cellular-exosomal-MIR2911 at 13.2 pM concentration (cellular exosomes were collected from culture medium of HEK293T cells transfected with synthetic MIR2911 or control ncRNA) inhibited 93% virus replication, indicating that exosomal MIR2911 directly and sufficiently inhibits SARS-CoV-2 replication.

https://www.eurekale...o-apm080520.php

Health professionals widely agree that hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malarial drug President Donald Trump claims to be a cure for COVID-19, has not been proven to effectively treat the virus.

But have they considered that the pro-Trump cartoonist who came up with a joke about “brain golfing” says otherwise?

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro brought up “Dilbert” comic creator Scott Adams on Wednesday night after CNN anchor Erin Burnett called out Navarro’s “irresponsible” comments hyping hydroxychloroquine.

“Scott Adams—you know Scott Adams, right? He’s the guy who wrote the ‘Dilbert’ cartoon–he did a beautiful video, a 10-minute video, on Twitter,” Navarro told Burnett. “And the thesis of the video is that CNN might be killing thousands because of the way they’ve treated that.”

“So…I’ll let Scott Adams’ video be my defense on this,” he continued.

https://talkingpoint...roxychloroquine

Trump-loving nursing home operator raked in federal aid as patients and workers died from COVID-19: Report
https://www.rawstory...from-19-report/

“There is nothing that is happening today that is by accident — from the rioting, from the looting, from the pillaging, from stirring up a racial war to try to disband our police department so that they can bring in a United Nations police force of 500,000 people that are not loyal to the American people and they’re not loyal to the Constitution, so they can force exactly what they want to take place in America, which let me tell you will be gun confiscation, ultimately,” Howard-Brown said. “That’s why they’re trying to push this thing with COVID-19. They’re trying to drag it out so they can put masks on every single person because that is the forced compliance that will come, and then everybody will have to get a vaccine.”

According to Howard-Brown, anyone who takes the vaccine “will be dead within a couple of years.”

“This is tyranny that has been forced upon the American people by medicine … Let me tell you, here is one pastor that is not gonna play dead and I’m not rolling over,” he continued. “I don’t care if I have to get arrested again. And I actually don’t care if I have to get killed. We will not compromise.”

https://www.rawstory...in-a-few-years/

Florida becomes 2nd U.S. state to top half-million coronavirus cases
http://www.ecns.cn/n...tt8796805.shtml

President Donald Trump accused Democrats of using the coronavirus as an excuse to shutter churches and said he was looking at ways to reverse the closures by deeming them “essential” business.

“I think, and I’m recommending it, you open the churches,” the president said in an interview with EWTN this week, though he said it was “up to the governors.”

“They’ll spread, they’ll be socially spread, they’ll have masks and they’ll do what they have to do, you know, the hygiene and everything else that we know,” he added. “We want to open our churches. We want to open our schools. And everybody wants to be safe. They know what to do. They’ll stay away. And, you know, we’ll be the same way. Maybe you’ll have an extra service or two or three.”

https://www.mediaite...ut-of-business/

Leading US Disease Expert Fauci Says He, Family Face Death Threats Over COVID-19 Advice
https://sputniknews....ovid-19-advice/

New York City will set up “COVID-19 checkpoints” at key entry points this week to ensure compliance with the state’s quarantine requirements, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Wednesday. Travelers to New York from 35 states currently on the travel advisory list, which includes places with 10 infections per 100,000 residents on a seven-day rolling average, must quarantine for 14 days. Starting Wednesday, the Sheriff’s Office will be deployed at bridges, tunnels, and busy transit hubs to remind visitors of the mandatory quarantine. The new initiative comes as about 20 percent of new coronavirus cases in New York City are from people traveling in from other states, according to Dr. Ted Long, head of the Test & Trace Corps.

“The idea is, we don’t want to penalize people, we want to educate them,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said during a press conference on Wednesday. “We want to make sure they’re following the rules.”

The Sherriff’s office will conduct random stops of vehicles entering the city to remind drivers who are coming from high-risk states of the quarantine order and require them to fill out a traveler registration health form. Starting Thursday, the mayor’s Public Engagement Unit will be at Penn Station and the Port Authority to educate travelers about the state law.

“As Sheriff, I understand the absolute serious nature of this pandemic as well as this decided course of action,” Sheriff Joseph Fucito said. “The entire team will strive to ensure the deployment balances the critical public health and welfare needs of the residents of the city with the legal protections entitled to all people.”

The city’s Test & Trace Corps will follow up with out-of-state travelers to determine if they need any resources that the city will provide, including medication and food delivery, hotel stays, and anything to help get through the two weeks.

Those under mandatory quarantine must stay at home or in a hotel room without guests, except for caregivers, self-monitor for symptoms of the virus, and only leave for essential appointments or food if delivery is not possible. Failure to quarantine is considered a violation of state law and individuals could be subject to fines as high as $10,000.

https://www.6sqft.co...day-quarantine/

Edited by amor de cosmos, 06 August 2020 - 09:29 AM.

#7595 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:22 AM

And a leading health-care expert says the findings are promising even though they haven’t been peer-reviewed.

Providence Therapeutics says it needs federal funding to move forward, but it has not heard back from the Trudeau government since May, the month after submitting a $35-million proposal to conduct first-stage human trials.

Probably because Trudeau has put all of his eggs in one basket by funding the Chinese Army's research.

https://www.youtube....h?v=eCcNhIVChoM

#7596 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

But the latest figures also reveal the province has gone six consecutive days without COVID-19-related deaths.

https://www.timescol...aths-1.24182445

Eleven people are in hospital as a result of COVID-19, with five patients are in critical care or the ICU.

we can barely even get old people to die now.

#7597 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:45 PM

Lack of 75+ years olds with pre-existing conditions?

how does anyone explain new york?

https://www.worldome...s/usa/new-york/

screenshot-www.worldometers.info-2020.08.06-08_56_28.png

#7598 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

not so sure it's that.  every single day about 180 British Columbians turn 75.  i'd guess most have health conditions of some sort.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 03:51 PM.

#7599 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:12 PM

this is quite a headline.  it could just as easily read:

"hundreds of british columbians test positive for covid in recent days, but feel no ill effects whatsoever".

since this is also true today in bc:

Eleven people are in hospital as a result of COVID-19, with five patients are in critical care or the ICU.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 04:14 PM.

#7600 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:37 AM

Two Georgia high school students were suspended for chronicling overcrowding and minimal mask-wearing in their school’s hallways during its first couple of days re-opening amid the Covid-19 pandemic
https://www.mediaite...ool-re-opening/

Children, people aged over 70 develop highest levels of COVID-19 antibodies, study reveals
https://tass.com/society/1186823

Coronavirus lockdown will have ‘negligible’ impact on the climate – new study
https://theconversat...ew-study-143503
https://www.nature.c...1558-020-0883-0

Researchers at Uppsala University have described the presence, throughout the human body, of the enzyme ACE2. This is thought to be the key protein used by the SARS-CoV-2 virus for host cell entry and development of the disease COVID-19. In contrast to previous studies, the study shows that no or very little ACE2 protein is present in the normal respiratory system. The results are presented in Molecular Systems Biology.

The article presents a large-scale, systematic evaluation of angiotensin I converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) expression in more than 150 cell types, at both messenger RNA (mRNA) and protein levels, and reports that ACE2 is expressed only at very low levels, if at all, in respiratory epithelial cells.

“Considering the clinical manifestations of COVID-19, with acute respiratory distress syndrome and extensive damage to the lung parenchyma, the results highlight the need for further study of the biological mechanisms responsible for COVID-19 infection and disease progression,” says Dr Cecilia Lindskog, senior author of the paper and Head Director of the Human Protein Atlas tissue team at Uppsala University.

https://www.uu.se/en...&typ=pm&lang=en
https://www.scienced...00805110111.htm

Asymptomatic COVID-19 Patients May Shed Virus Even Longer
https://www.medpaget...e/covid19/87926

In a critical literature review, among the 20 most-read articles published in the Journal of Immunology in May 2020, Manjili suggests that COVID-19 should be treated as an acute inflammatory disease and that severity of infection is associated with the dysregulation of inflammatory immune responses and subsequent inability to develop protective immunity from the virus.

“Drugs that target the virus or suppress inflammatory immune responses have produced inconsistent results and might not be the best treatment for patients with COVID-19,” said Manjili, a member of the Cancer Cell Signaling research program at Massey and a professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the VCU School of Medicine. “Instead, the use of drugs that modulate inflammation without compromising the adaptive immune response could be the most effective therapeutic strategy.”

The majority of people infected with COVID-19 show flu-like symptoms and survive the disease. However, individuals with susceptibility factors, including age (65 years and above), sex and underlying health complications such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes or asthma, are significantly more vulnerable to infection because their immune response is in disarray. Manjili said that men are more susceptible to infection than women because of an expression of sex-associated genes coded by the X chromosome that play a key role in the immune response.

“Although over 90 percent of infected individuals are asymptomatic or manifest noncritical symptoms and will recover from COVID-19, those individuals presenting with critical symptoms are in urgent need of treatment options,” Manjili said.

https://massey.vcu.e...matory-disease/
https://www.scienced...00805124027.htm

congrats to russia & china! they have earned tremendous national prestige with these vaccine developments. they are surely leading the world out of this:

Russia will register the world's first vaccine against COVID-19 on 12 August, it has earlier been revealed by Russian Deputy Health Minister Oleg Gridnev.

Coronavirus particles in the anti-COVID-19 vaccine cannot harm the body, said Alexander Gintsburg, director of the Gamaleya National Research Centre.

The scientist explained that the drug used inanimate particles created on the basis of adenovirus.

“The particles and objects that can reproduce their own kind are the ones that are considered alive. The particles in question cannot multiply,” Gintsburg elaborated.

Therefore, he continued, there are no concerns that the vaccine could potentially cause harm to a person's health.

According to him, COVID-19 particles can cause maximum discomfort, becausewhen a foreign antigen is injected, the immune system of the person being vaccinated receives a powerful boost. Some people naturally have a fever under these circumstances.

During clinical trials of the drug, the temperature of the volunteers rose to 37 degrees Celsius and sometimes to 38 degrees Celsius, but this "side-effect" can easily be overcome by taking paracetamol, the scientist added.

https://sputniknews....d-19-will-work/

China made another breakthrough in battling the coronavirus pandemic, with China National Biotec Group (CNBG) announcing Wednesday that an inactivated COVID-19 vaccine production workshop of its affiliated Beijing institute of biological products, the first and largest of its kind in the world, has passed national examination.

The facility was granted a production certificate and it is now available for use, CNBG, an affiliate of the state-run China National Pharmaceutical Group, said in a statement sent to the Global Times.

The Beijing institute took only two months to finish building the facility on April 15. Related government departments conducted a thorough biosecurity examination of the production workshop in July, and concluded the facility met national standards, and could go into operation for mass production of COVID-19 vaccines, read the statement.

After the Beijing manufacturing workshop and another production facility belonging to CNBG's Wuhan institute of biological products begin operations, CNBG will be capable of ensuring an annual capacity of 220 million doses of vaccines, according to its developer.

The 220 million doses are large to first immunize medical staff and personnel working at airports and border checkpoints, Tao Lina, a Shanghai-based vaccine researcher, told the Global Times Wednesday.

"It is possible that China could have a COVID-19 vaccine as early as the end of October as some domestically made COVID-19 vaccines have entered phase three clinical trials and needs about a month to observe their effects on samples," Tao said.

http://www.ecns.cn/n...hw7469699.shtml

More than a million people across Africa have now been confirmed to have had the new coronavirus, as health experts warn the peak of the pandemic has yet to hit the continent.

The sombre milestone, reported by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday, came more than five months after Egypt reported the continent's first confirmed case of coronavirus on February 14.

More than 22,000 people have so far died across Africa from the COVID-19 disease, while over 690,000 have recovered.

Last month, the World Health Organization (WHO) voiced alarm at the "acceleration" of the disease in Africa, which until recently had remained relatively unscathed by the pandemic compared with the rest of the world - even as many experts believe the actual number of coronavirus infections is likely much higher.

South Africa, which accounts for more than half of the continent's registered cases, is the worst-affected African nation and the fifth worst-hit globally. Egypt is in second place with 95,000 confirmed infections, followed by Nigeria, Ghana, Algeria, Morocco and Kenya.

"We haven't seen the peak in Africa yet," Mary Stephen, technical officer at the WHO's regional office for Africa, told Al Jazeera.

https://www.aljazeer...4094836695.html

UN and local officials have confirmed COVID-19 cases in al-Hol camp for Islamic State (IS) families in northeast Syria. Humanitarian organizations warn that the notorious camp is susceptible to an outbreak of the coronavirus due to the poor conditions there.

Three health workers tested positive for COVID-19 on Aug. 3, UN spokesperson David Swanson told Al-Monitor.

These are the first known cases of the virus in the camp.

Al-Hol hosts more 65,000 people in a desert area of northeast Syria near the Iraqi border. The mostly women and children in the camp have varying degrees of affiliations with IS. Most of the population is from Iraq and Syria, but there are thousands of foreigners as well. The area is within the territory of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria. The Kurdish-led statelet’s Syrian Democratic Forces, who are backed by the United States, hold thousands of IS fighters in detention centers as well as their families in al-Hol and other camps.

The workers who tested positive are Syrian nationals working for the Kurdish Red Crescent humanitarian organization, an autonomous administration official responsible for camps told Al-Monitor. They are now isolating at home and are in “good condition" after testing positive at a hospital in the city of Hasakah, the official said.

https://www.al-monit...oronavirus.html

Daesh forces stepped up attacks in Iraq during the holy month of Ramadan while also managing to exploit COVID-19 restrictions that have impacted Iraqi security forces, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and US-led coalition forces, according to a new report issued from the US Department of Defense Inspector General's Office
https://sputniknews....q---ig-report-/

A total of 510.5 billion yuan (about 73.52 billion U.S. dollars) of China's special treasury bonds for COVID-19 control had been put to use by July 29, said the country's finance minister.

Proceeds from the bonds funded 24,199 projects, most of which related to infrastructure construction and COVID-19 control, Liu Kun, the minister of finance, told Xinhua in an interview.

By the end of July, China had completed the planned issuance of the 1-trillion-yuan special treasury bonds for COVID-19 control, Liu added.

So far, funds raised had been funneled to prefecture and county governments after the provincial-level governments retained part of the money based on regulations, Liu said, adding that the ministry has put in place a mechanism to monitor the distribution, allocation and use of funds.

http://www.ecns.cn/n...hw7469392.shtml

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, a pro-business group that has been blamed for making the pandemic "worse" by opposing government efforts to fight the coronavirus, has been a leading opponent of federal unemployment benefits.

The group spent more than $15 million lobbying on "unemployment insurance" and other issues in the first quarter, according to lobbying disclosures, and another $12 million lobbying on "unemployment insurance and the COVID-19 pandemic," as well as "workplace liability," another McConnell pet issue, in the second quarter.

In May, the chamber "joined Republicans in arguing that the extra payments might deter people from returning to work," The Washington Post reported. This claim has been widely rejected by economists. The group was among several that lobbied lawmakers to reject the unemployment benefit in favor of an "alternative" like a "back-to-work" bonus, Bloomberg Law reported.

Last month, the Chamber of Commerce wrote to Congress demanding the unemployment benefit be "significantly revised," again echoing the discredited claim that it deters workers from returning to their jobs.

The chamber's board of directors' companies have received millions in aid under the CARES Act.

& others
https://www.salon.co...mployment-cuts/

U.S. State Department lifts advisory on avoiding international travel
http://www.ecns.cn/n...hw7469526.shtml

U.S. Ohio governor tests positive for coronavirus ahead of Trump's visit
http://www.ecns.cn/n...hw7469512.shtml

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Nearly 300,000 Americans could be dead from COVID-19 by Dec. 1, University of Washington health experts forecast on Thursday, although they said 70,000 lives could be saved if people were scrupulous about wearing masks.

The latest predictions from the university's widely cited Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) comes as top White House infectious disease advisers warned that major U.S. cities could erupt as new coronavirus hot spots if officials there were not vigilant with counter-measures.

"We're seeing a rollercoaster in the United States. It appears that people are wearing masks and socially distancing more frequently as infections increase, then after a while as infections drop, people let their guard down," Dr Christopher Murray, director of the IHME, said in announcing the university's revised forecast.

https://www.usnews.c...f-trouble-ahead

Edited by amor de cosmos, 07 August 2020 - 07:41 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users