Seniors advocate to release review of COVID-19 outbreaks at B.C. care facilities
The city of Dawson Creek, B.C., home to about 12,000 people near the B.C.-Alberta border, has removed a previously published portion of a recent city council meeting video after it began circulating in COVID-19 disinformation groups worldwide.
The incident illustrates why everyone — including small communities — needs to think more deeply about who they give a platform to, says Ahmed Al-Rawi, an assistant professor at Simon Fraser University who specializes in disinformation.
The portion of the video that was removed featured several speakers at a Sept. 2 council meeting making false or misleading statements about COVID-19 vaccines and their effectiveness.
As the number of views of the video increased, so did scrutiny of Dawson Creek's council for giving anti-vaccine protesters a platform to speak in the first place.
Bumstead said staff at city hall were inundated with calls from people across North America about the video, some pleased with what they had seen, others upset the city had allowed false assertions to be broadcast unchecked.
After several weeks, Coun. Shaely Wilbur issued a public apology on her Facebook page. "I am from the core of my being disturbed that if in any way I have allowed misinformation to be taken as fact and distributed through social media via a delegation to council," she wrote, and encouraged residents to get vaccinated.
Anti-Vax NHLer Got a Serious COVID Side Effect. Anti-Vaxxers Blame Vaccines Anyway.
Edmonton Oiler Josh Archibald refused to get vaccinated, and now his career is in jeopardy after contracting COVID. Here’s how anti-vaxxers turned those facts into a nefarious conspiracy.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will on Wednesday unveil details of his government's plan to make COVID-19 vaccines mandatory in the public service and for travellers within Canada, a source tells CBC News.
The information comes from a senior government source, who spoke to CBC News on the condition of anonymity because this person is not authorized to speak publicly.
The announcement is expected to include details of how the mandates will be enforced and when they will go into effect.
Trudeau and Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland are expected to speak about the plan at a news conference scheduled for 11 a.m. ET on Wednesday.
The federal government first announced in August its intention to make vaccines mandatory for federal public servants and travellers on planes, ships and interprovincial trains.
The coronavirus could be harming vital cells in the pancreas and leaving people with diabetes , according to new research being pursued by scientists.
The relationship between COVID-19 and diabetes is poorly understood and scientists don't yet have definitive answers.
But as the pandemic progressed, a growing number of reports suggested that people who caught COVID-19 were noticing diabetes symptoms for the first time. It is too soon to say whether the condition is permanent.
"Clearly there's a link, there's some sort of mechanism that makes the diseases fuel one another," Francesco Rubino chair of metabolic surgery at King's College London, told Insider. "The question is whether new-onset diabetes could be caused by this virus."
The stay-at-home restrictions to control the spread of COVID-19 led to unparalleled sudden change in daily life, but it is unclear how they affected urban crime globally. We collected data on daily counts of crime in 27 cities across 23 countries in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. We conducted interrupted time series analyses to assess the impact of stay-at-home restrictions on different types of crime in each city. Our findings show that the stay-at-home policies were associated with a considerable drop in urban crime, but with substantial variation across cities and types of crime. Meta-regression results showed that more stringent restrictions over movement in public space were predictive of larger declines in crime.
Those under 40 more likely than older adults to recover COVID-related smell and taste loss
Ongoing survey tracking smell and taste recovery of COVID-19 survivors shows 4 out of every 5 recover senses within 6 months.
Research reveals mechanisms behind 'COVID toes'
One in seven patients miss cancer surgery during COVID lockdowns: study
מדענים מווהאן ומארה"ב תכננו ליצור נגיף קורונה חדש, שלא קיים בטבע, באמצעות שילוב של קודים גנטיים מווירוסים אחרים. כך עולה ממסמכים שהוגשו לסוכנות מיזמי מחקרי הביטחון המתקדמים של ארה"ב (DARPA) שהודלפה בחודש שעבר. כך מדווח ב"טלגרף" הבריטי.
מומחה לגנטיקה שעובד בארגון הבריאות העולמי וחשף את התכנון, לאחר שבחן את ההצעה לעומק, סיפר כי אם נגיף הקורונה הנוכחי (Sars-CoV-2) נוצר בדרך זו, הרי שבכך יינתן הסבר מדוע הוא מעולם לא נמצא בטבע טרם המגיפה. עד עתה, נגיף בשם בנאל-52 (Banal-52), שדווח בלאוס בחודש שעבר - חולק עם נגיף זה 96.8% מהגנום.
מההצעה של סוכנות מיזמי מחקרי הביטחון המתקדמים של ארה"ב עולה כי הצוות תכנן לקחת רצפים גנטיים מנגיפי הקורונה הקיימים, הטבעיים, ולהשתמש בהם - במטרה ליצור רצף חדש שיהיה הממוצע בין כולם. "המשמעות של אותו הממוצע", הסביר בכיר בארגון הבריאות העולמי לטלגרף, "היא שלרצף הנגיפים החדש לא תהיה התאמה מושלמת לאף אחד מהווירוסים".
Scientists from Wuhan and the United States have planned to create a new corona virus, which does not exist in nature, using a combination of genetic codes from other viruses, according to documents submitted to the US Advanced Defense Research Agency (DARPA) leaked last month. This was reported in the British Telegraph.
A genetics expert who works for the World Health Organization and unveiled the design, after examining the proposal in depth, said that if the current corona virus (Sars-CoV-2) was created this way, then it would explain why it was never found in the wild before the epidemic. So far, a virus called Banal-52, which was reported in Laos last month, shares 96.8% of the genome with this virus.
The U.S. Advanced Defense Research Agency's proposal suggests that the team planned to take genetic sequences from existing, natural corona viruses and use them - in order to create a new sequence that would be average among all. "The significance of that average," "Is that the new virus sequence will not be a perfect match for any of the viruses."
Australian firm recalls US COVID tests over false positives
Russia hits record number of daily coronavirus deaths for 2nd day in row
Virus claims lives of 929 people in 1 day as pandemic situation worsens
В Петербурге до конца года завершат исследования съедобной вакцины от COVID
В Петербурге до конца года завершат исследования вакцины от COVID-19 со вкусом ряженки
In St. Petersburg, by the end of the year, the study of an edible vaccine against COVID will be completed
In St. Petersburg, by the end of the year, will complete studies of a vaccine against COVID-19 with ryazhenka flavor
White House: Some Feds With Valid Vaccine Exemption Requests Could Still Be Fired
Task force says that for some jobs where no other safety protocols are adequate, federal agencies may require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, without exception.
The U.S. Treasury Department on Tuesday ordered Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey ® to stop allotting federal pandemic funding toward grants for school systems in the state that do not have mask mandates, saying the grants are “not a permissible use” of the funds.
In a letter to Ducey, Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo pushed back on the grants, noting that their requirements “undermine evidence-based efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19.” He also stated that the governor will have just 30 days to provide an explanation on how to “remediate” the problem, according to The Associated Press.
Ducey created the grant programs in August in an effort to place more pressure on school districts that went against his state's ban on mask mandates. Through the program, $163 million funding was made available to schools that did not have mask mandates and an additional $10 million program provides vouchers to families of children in public schools that are required to quarantine due to contact with someone who has COVID-19, the AP noted.
A five-day course of molnupiravir, the new medicine being hailed as a “huge advance” in the treatment of Covid-19, costs $17.74 to produce, according to a report issued last week by drug pricing experts at the Harvard School of Public Health and King’s College Hospital in London. Merck is charging the U.S. government $712 for the same amount of medicine, or 40 times the price.
Last Friday’s announcement that the new medicine cut the risk of hospitalization among clinical trial participants with moderate or mild illness in half could have huge implications for the course of the coronavirus pandemic. Because it’s a pill — as opposed to monoclonal antibodies, a comparable antiviral treatment that is administered intravenously — molnupiravir is expected to be more widely used and, hopefully, will cut the death rate. In the first 29 days of the trial, no deaths were reported among the 385 patients who received the drug, while eight of the people who received a placebo died, according to the statement put out by Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics, the two companies that are jointly launching it.
In addition to having huge implications for health, the pill could bring staggering profits to both Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics. A small Miami-based company, Ridgeback licensed the medicine from Emory University in 2020 and two months later sold the worldwide rights to the drug to Merck for an undisclosed sum. Although Ridgeback remains involved in the development of the drug, some have described the deal as “flipping.”
Most Americans resumed travel or leisure before COVID-19 vaccines became available
Sen. Lindsey Graham Booed After Telling Fundraiser Attendees to 'Think About' Getting COVID Vaccine
Former U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley warned on Tuesday that “hatred of America” is “a pandemic much more damaging than any virus.”
Florida was the only state that failed to submit a plan necessary to qualify for a federal aid program designed to buoy the state's public school system, according to the U.S. Department Education – and the department is struggling to ascertain why.
"[The Florida Department of Education's] delay raises significant concerns because of the unnecessary uncertainty it is creating for school districts across the state and because it is hindering their ability to confidently plan for how to use these funds to address the needs of students," wrote Ian Rosenblum, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy and Programs for the U.S. Department of Education, in a Monday missive.
The state's failure "to meet its responsibilities is delaying the release of essential … resources that are needed by school districts and schools to address the needs of students most impacted by the pandemic," Rosenblum added, noting that the state missed multiple timelines for the relief money.
Back in March, as part of President Biden's American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ARP ESSER), Florida received two-thirds of its $7 billion federal aid package to support "students' health and safety and address their social, emotional, mental health, and academic needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic," Rosenblum explained in his letter.
But according to The Tallahassee Democrat, the federal government is still holding onto $2.3 billion of this package because the Sunshine State failed to submit plans detailing how the remainder would be spent.
In addition, Department of Education records indicate that Florida has scarcely spent the federal funds it has already been distributed by the Biden administration. The state has reportedly spent 79% of its disbursement from the CARES Act, 15.6% of its allotment from the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, and 4% of its ARP funds.
No money has been directed to local school districts, according to federal officials, but parents, employees, and local officials have clearly expressed that Florida's public school system is in dire need of a lifeline, Rosenblum said in his letter.
According to New Hampshire Public Radio, New Hampshire GOP state Rep. Ken Weyler is now facing bipartisan calls to be stripped of leadership — including from GOP Gov. Chris Sununu. According to the accusations, the state house Finance Committee chairman circulated a series of bizarre COVID-19 conspiracy theories laced with attacks on the Catholic church.
"Sununu's statement comes after Weyler, 79, emailed colleagues materials full of COVID conspiracy theories, including a discredited, false report that claims COVID deaths are driven by a plot orchestrated out of Vatican City, Washington D.C. and London," reported Josh Rogers. "'It's all one huge puppet theatre, where the majority of the people — even most of those who are complicit — haven't got the slightest clue what is going on, and how everyone is being played,' the report states. Among other false claims, the report says some COVID vaccines include 'living organism(s) with tentacles.'"
According to WMUR's Adam Sexton, Weyler also called the Catholic church a "criminal network" full of "Satanists" and "Luciferians" dabbling in "dark ancient spiritual practices."
Edited by amor de cosmos, 06 October 2021 - 06:25 PM.