Not quite right, the vast majority first learn about a property that they end up purchasing through an agent's automated search system or directly from the agent themselves, and less than 15% through public facing websites. The initial consult and setting up a search, plus how passive or active the agent is in the search all determine how successful it will be, some prefer passive, some prefer active, but virtually all qualified buyers are working with an actual agent guiding the process.
"The buyer located the property on a REALTOR®'S automated listing search service" is the number one way buyers find homes and it beats out all the other categories (REALTOR®informed buyer, REALTOR.ca, real estate sign, etc.) COMBINED.
In my opinion if I set up a buyer on the automated listing search service and they email me the MLS®number/address to view the buyer found the property not me.
I haven't had much success with being an "active" agent. I'll pick out properties I think are good value and it won't work for the client’s dog or similar. Since we are both looking at the exact same database of homes, I just let my clients pick out properties. In my case I would say 90% of my client find their own property and I find it for the other 10%.
Edited by MarkoJ, 18 February 2020 - 11:02 AM.