Photo

Question about using a realtor to buy

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 VIC.Local

VIC.Local
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:40 PM

Looking to buy my first house, my father thinks i should use more than one realtor..

Is that a normal process or in bad taste?

My father has a good friend who been a realtor for over 40 years here in Victoria, i always assumed i would use him, but recently a friend i haven't seen in awhile just became a realtor and we have chatted little bit about what i'm looking for etc.

Do i use both and whoever finds me the future listing first gets it? do i stick to one realtor? can i use one exclusively for estate type sales? 

Just not sure how to proceed and any feedback would be appreciated 

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Both Realtors would be harvesting the same properties so the house you choose would have been brought to your attention from the other Realtor so there's no way you don't end up looking like a douche. The other guy gets screwed over.

#3 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:31 PM

Both Realtors would be harvesting the same properties so the house you choose would have been brought to your attention from the other Realtor so there's no way you don't end up looking like a douche. The other guy gets screwed over.

According to VREB surveys that majority of buyers find the home they end up purchasing and then they call their realtor to show it to them and help facilitate the paperwork/transaction.

• Matt R. likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

Looking to buy my first house, my father thinks i should use more than one realtor..

My father has a good friend who been a realtor for over 40 years here in Victoria, i always assumed i would use him, but recently a friend i haven't seen in awhile just became a realtor and we have chatted little bit about what i'm looking for etc.

Do i use both and whoever finds me the future listing first gets it? do i stick to one realtor? can i use one exclusively for estate type sales? 

Not sure what you achieve by using two realtors to help you purchase?

#5 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:16 PM

So let me get this straight. You are thinking that, instead of using a professional with over 40 years experience in the business, you are going to trust a friend who you " haven't seen in awhile" and just became a realtor with helping your make one of the biggest decisions in your life? Hmm - are you sure that you are ready to take the leap into home ownership?

Pass on the friend and let him learn the ropes. If he survives in a very tough business then use him next time.

• Brayvehart, Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:40 AM

According to VREB surveys that majority of buyers find the home they end up purchasing and then they call their realtor to show it to them and help facilitate the paperwork/transaction.

That’s how I found my place, and used Marko for the transaction/guidance.

Don’t waste your time waiting on someone to show you what you may want to buy. Do the research yourself and have the agent set up the viewings. You’ll be living there, and you might find something listed that piques your interest that your agent would not have thought to consider.

Also, if you’re going to consider pre-sales, use Citified to research everything going on: www.citified.ca

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:38 PM

Not quite right, the vast majority first learn about a property that they end up purchasing through an agent's automated search system or directly from the agent themselves, and less than 15% through public facing websites.  The initial consult and setting up a search, plus how passive or active the agent is in the search all determine how successful it will be, some prefer passive, some prefer active, but virtually all qualified buyers are working with an actual agent guiding the process.  

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

Not quite right, the vast majority first learn about a property that they end up purchasing through an agent's automated search system or directly from the agent themselves, and less than 15% through public facing websites. The initial consult and setting up a search, plus how passive or active the agent is in the search all determine how successful it will be, some prefer passive, some prefer active, but virtually all qualified buyers are working with an actual agent guiding the process.

Too bad they don’t separate out “through an agent's automated search system” from “directly from the agent”

I am hazarding the guess that the first is vastly more common than the second. And whether a client learns of a listing on realtor.ca or on a PCS search is really just semantics.

#9 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:49 PM

Too bad they don’t separate out “through an agent's automated search system” from “directly from the agent”

I am hazarding the guess that the first is vastly more common than the second. And whether a client learns of a listing on realtor.ca or on a PCS search is really just semantics.

Respect the hardworking realtor a lot. It is not an easy job putting up with fickle people who often go around you to save a dime.

Like most industries there is the top and there is the bottom. And it should be that way but the top are the top for reason - they work harder than the rest!.  

Have always thought that the industry should do a better job with "culling their herd". Do you really want an agent who sells 5- 6 properties a year helping you through the process? The very top are too busy to pay attention perhaps and the bottom is the bottom for a reason(s). Give me someone who is in the top 10% and I'm sure I would be taken care of properly.

Edited by davidN, 17 February 2020 - 09:50 PM.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

Have always thought that the industry should do a better job with "culling their herd". Do you really want an agent who sells 5- 6 properties a year helping you through the process? The very top are too busy to pay attention perhaps and the bottom is the bottom for a reason(s). Give me someone who is in the top 10% and I'm sure I would be taken care of properly.

Yeah, that could be tricky. Some agents have other businesses or devote their professional time to various industries, and sell/buy homes/properties when opportunities arise (i.e. working with a specific development firm or investor group to accumulate a land assembly, etc.).

I have come across agents who are woefully ill prepared to be selling homes and representing people with the biggest purchases of their life, while other agents multi-dimensionally understand the market and have a grasp of economics/market factors and are incredibly valuable assets to have at one's side.

• davidN and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:01 AM

Not quite right, the vast majority first learn about a property that they end up purchasing through an agent's automated search system or directly from the agent themselves, and less than 15% through public facing websites.  The initial consult and setting up a search, plus how passive or active the agent is in the search all determine how successful it will be, some prefer passive, some prefer active, but virtually all qualified buyers are working with an actual agent guiding the process.  

"The buyer located the property on a REALTOR®'S automated listing search service" is the number one way buyers find homes and it beats out all the other categories (REALTOR®informed buyer, REALTOR.ca, real estate sign, etc.) COMBINED. 

In my opinion if I set up a buyer on the automated listing search service and they email me the MLS®number/address to view the buyer found the property not me. 

I haven't had much success with being an "active" agent. I'll pick out properties I think are good value and it won't work for the client’s dog or similar. Since we are both looking at the exact same database of homes, I just let my clients pick out properties. In my case I would say 90% of my client find their own property and I find it for the other 10%.

Edited by MarkoJ, 18 February 2020 - 11:02 AM.

• sebberry, Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this

#12 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:11 PM

"The buyer located the property on a REALTOR®'S automated listing search service" is the number one way buyers find homes and it beats out all the other categories (REALTOR®informed buyer, REALTOR.ca, real estate sign, etc.) COMBINED. 

In my opinion if I set up a buyer on the automated listing search service and they email me the MLS®number/address to view the buyer found the property not me. 

I haven't had much success with being an "active" agent. I'll pick out properties I think are good value and it won't work for the client’s dog or similar. Since we are both looking at the exact same database of homes, I just let my clients pick out properties. In my case I would say 90% of my client find their own property and I find it for the other 10%.

Marco,

This being the case how does one get on a Realtors search service and do all realtors show the same properties on their service (assuming the registrant provided the same search parameters)?

#13 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

Marco,

This being the case how does one get on a Realtors search service and do all realtors show the same properties on their service (assuming the registrant provided the same search parameters)?

Email a realtor. Yes, exact same properties show up. I as a realtor cannot somehow make restrictions being the search parameters.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,314 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:46 PM

According to a recent LendingTree survey, 3 in 10 home sellers admit to using hidden cameras when they host an open house.

The survey, which was commissioned from the experience management firm Qualtrics, notably had a small sample size of home sellers – 346 – compared to home buyers – 1,160 – for a total sample size of 2,050.

Of those sellers who admit to using cameras without notifying buyers, 49% claim they do so to find out what buyers "do and don’t like about their home."

https://www.foxbusin...urs-lendingtree

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 July 2021 - 02:47 PM.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:34 AM

Won’t post-open house exit surveys tell you that?

The camera thing is creepy.

Know it all.

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,314 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 05:38 AM

Won’t post-open house exit surveys tell you that?

Not honestly.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:24 AM

The agent of the buyer provides the feedback based on their convo with their client. That’s got to be fairly honest. I think the seller’s agent might be the obstacle to honesty before their client, maybe? Sometimes it’s not worth stressing the seller out.

Know it all.

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,314 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:34 AM

The agent of the buyer provides the feedback based on their convo with their client. That’s got to be fairly honest. I think the seller’s agent might be the obstacle to honesty before their client, maybe? Sometimes it’s not worth stressing the seller out.

oh i agree.

and if the biggest complaint heard or seen on the hidden video is "the kitchen is too small" not sure what you can do anyway.

now for whatever reason, here we don't stage nearly as much as they do in big cities.  not sure why that's not a thing here but you can bet that 75% + homes in vancouver calgary or toronto are staged.  many/most realtors pay for at least some of that out of their own commissions.

> > https://andreawilton...staging-matter/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2021 - 06:39 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,314 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 01:01 AM

A British Columbia real estate agent has been fined $20,000 after being caught on camera drinking milk straight out of the jug at a home he was showing.

A consent order released by the BC Financial Services Authority last week says Mike Rose was alone in the home in Kamloops, B.C., in July last year as he waited for his clients, who were interested in buying the property.

Rose went to the refrigerator to find water, but instead swigged some milk straight from the container, which he then put back in the refrigerator.

The consent order, agreed by both the superintendent of real estate and Rose, says the owners of the home saw him drinking the milk when they reviewed footage from a surveillance camera, then confronted him about it two days later.

Rose, who apologized for his actions, was told he wasn’t welcome in the home and his clients replaced him in their purchase of the property.

He says in the order that his behaviour was out of character, and he was “unusually dehydrated” at the time because of a new medication, as well as being under “considerable stress.”

Rose, who is now working at a different brokerage, agreed to pay a disciplinary penalty of $20,000 to the authority for conduct unbecoming, and $2,500 in enforcement expenses.

https://www.todayinb...8ca11b97212fd9a

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 July 2023 - 01:01 AM.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 06:11 AM

I can see his tagline changing to: Got Mike?

:)

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users