Photo

The Mint | Victoria | Douglas St @ Johnson

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

I still really like this place, despite the fact it has become much pricier recently. Probably my favourite place to go downtown after midnight (and maybe the only place).

#2 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

I used to love that place when it first opened, when it was still a new concept in Victoria and owned by the original four owners. The menu used to be composed of mostly tibetan and nepalese foods, with the odd cheese plate thrown in. Now the only tibetan food on the menu is the tibetan momo's, and these havent impressed me for awhile.

I must also add that the last time I was there I received the worst service that Ive ever received at any restaurant.

#3 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

I have just discovered this place, and was pleasantly surprised! My faith in Victoria's late-night scene has been restored: This place is open until 2 a.m. all nights, and the kitchen is open almost as late. Service was quite attentive, too, and I thought the food was good -- where else can you eat that well at 1 a.m.?

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

I thought this place was a horribly over-priced dungeon that coasted on trendyness instead of food or service, and that was when it first opened, I can't imagine what I'd think now.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

Well they must being doing something right as they have been open for almost 5 years. Victoria does need more late-night eateries of this calibre thoughits destinations like this that keep a whole different demographic out after their bedtime.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Mike

Mike
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

The menu used to be composed of mostly tibetan and nepalese foods, with the odd cheese plate thrown in. Now the only tibetan food on the menu is the tibetan momo's, and these havent impressed me for awhile.

I miss the old menu too. There used to be lots of veg options, now I think there's one or two.

#7 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

I guess coming from Ontario, it doesn't seem "horribly overpriced" at all to me. On Sundays, you can get bottles of wine for $5 over the liquor store price. On Wednesdays, they have $5 martinis.

As for the food, I don't know the old menu. What I do know is it's the first place I've found that serves real food (curry, cheese plates, etc.) well after midnight, not fries or nachos.

I've now been twice, and both times the service was attentive.

If someone can tell me a better place downtown that stays open, serving decent drinks and food, until 2 a.m. every night of the week, I'm all ears.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

I guess coming from Ontario, it doesn't seem "horribly overpriced" at all to me. On Sundays, you can get bottles of wine for $5 over the liquor store price. On Wednesdays, they have $5 martinis.

As for the food, I don't know the old menu. What I do know is it's the first place I've found that serves real food (curry, cheese plates, etc.) well after midnight, not fries or nachos.

I've now been twice, and both times the service was attentive.

If someone can tell me a better place downtown that stays open, serving decent drinks and food, until 2 a.m. every night of the week, I'm all ears.

What time does Sticky Wicket serve food until? I'm not saying its good or anything, I'm just curious.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

My one and only time at The Mint, the service was pretty much anything but attentive. Two steps below appalling.

And the options for vegetarians were pretty poor.

It was also the first time I have ever sent back a meal as inedible.... In twenty years of eating out on a fairly regular basis. :shock:

#10 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

What time does Sticky Wicket serve food until? I'm not saying its good or anything, I'm just curious.

They used to do appys till 1am, not sure if they still do or not...
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

^yup, sounds about right. I was there not too long ago and recall 11PM being the cutoff for new orders.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

For whatever reason, I have walked by the place a thousand times...but finally had the opportunity to go last night.
There were 7 of us and we all thoroughly enjoyed our food...and the gimlets. :)

I admit the service was slow, but it was a full house. Unfortunately unbearably hot.
We wound up with two free orders. First for being wrong, then for how long the replacement took.
That's the first time I've been to an establishment that was so quick to admit err and comp for it.

I'd go back.

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

On the 24th they are having a fundraiser to support http://www.wear2start.com I've got a ticket and plan to be there in between goings on at City Hall - that's the day they choose the bridge design.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users