APPROVED
The Tides at Cordova Bay
Use: condo
Address: 986-990 Doumac Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (2BR, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: pre-sales
The Tides at Cordova Bay is a four-storey condominium building along the 900-block of Doumac Avenue at Cordova... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Tides at Cordova Bay on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] The Tides at Cordova Bay | Condos | 4-storeys

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

8-1 is decisive so I wonder if redev of the Doumac site is absolutely dead. Something needs to be done with this currently dead prime space. Will a revised proposal or a brand new plan emerge? I hope so.

I have a feeling that Doumac won't go anywhere until the old strip mall redevelops

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

Methinks Victoria might need to seek some counseling re: the lowrise apartment block thing. It's been a decades-long love affair and yet there sure is a lot of underlying tension there.

Victoria-DwellingType-ApartmentsFewerThanFiveStories.png

• Nparker likes this

#23 Keedan

Keedan
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM

8-1 is decisive so I wonder if redev of the Doumac site is absolutely dead. Something needs to be done with this currently dead prime space. Will a revised proposal or a brand new plan emerge? I hope so.

It definitely won't be a revised proposal. Have to see where the plaza ends up first though.

#24 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

It is not dead. The Jawls will buy the property from Citta and build a 21 story complex!

• Nparker likes this

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

To think that just up the road (literally) are newly-built four, six and eight-storey buildings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

It definitely won't be a revised proposal. Have to see where the plaza ends up first though.

I screwed up my post re: Doumac. Its the plaza area I was thinking about but referred to it as the Doumac site, thanks for opening my eyes after a Senior/Doofus moment. I'm not surprised they voted it down.
The plaza should have an easier path and I would like to see it move ahead.

#27 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:57 AM

This proposal has been revived, albeit with fewer units. The original proposal was comprised of 25 residences and the new proposal has 17.

Plans-resurface-for-Cordova-Bay-neighbourhood's-986-990-Doumac-Avenue-condominium-proposal.jpg

Plans resurface for Cordova Bay neighbourhood's 986-990 Doumac Avenue condominium proposal

https://victoria.cit...inium-proposal/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:59 AM

Too tall. Too dense. Won't somebody please think of the children.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#29 Keedan

Keedan
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

The article is incorrect. No underground proposed on this project. Enclosed surface parking.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:08 AM

Fixed!

Know it all.

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:19 AM

it was correct in the paid version.
  • Mike K. likes this

#32 Keedan

Keedan
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:09 PM

A poll for anyone following this thread: If you were council would you be willing to reduce side yard setbacks for enclosed/concealed/secure parking and green roof? Or a preference to open air parking and therefore no setback relaxation needed? And would it be the same answer if you were a prospective buyer?

Edited by Keedan, 30 July 2020 - 04:26 PM.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:44 AM

That's quite the toss-up. For adjacent properties setbacks are the preference as the parking will be concealed by fencing, but from an aesthetic point of view (literally the view) from the building itself, covered parking is ideal with a reduced setback.

Ultimately the decision has to be made relative to what the future for the immediate properties is. If they're all eyed for eventual development, cover the parking and reduce the setbacks. If this will be one-off and the other homes won't be redeveloped for 20+ years, it's a tough call.

Know it all.

#34 Keedan

Keedan
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

The property to the east is commercial zoned so a narrow setback would likely be matched by whatever is built there in the future (empty at the moment). The west still has a typical setback to the current residential zoned lot so not an issue on that side. The rear yard backs onto the driveway of a panhandled townhouse complex so not sure if that should be a concern. It will be interesting to see how council handles the issue as the new lower density makes underground cost prohibitive for sure and I think buyers and neighbors would prefer a green walled/roofed parking structure over a sea of asphalt.

• Mike K. likes this

#35 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

setbacks are the work of the devil and are never desirable.
  • Mike K. likes this

#36 Keedan

Keedan
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:06 AM

Public Hearing for 986/990 Doumac on the 15th. Email your support. 

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:31 AM

The development permit was unanimously approved for this project last night.

It was a long road for the developers.

• LocalMom likes this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:31 AM

I guess our emailed support was effective.

Know it all.

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:32 AM

I hope it was.

#40 Keedan

Keedan
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 07:37 PM

Very long road. Thanks to anyone who emailed in support. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users