4570 replies to this topic

#2581 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:43 AM

CityNews Vancouver:

Canada's inflation rate skyrockets to 7.7%, highest since 1983

Gas up 40%, food up 20%, etc.

What I would like to know is what went down in price? If inflation netted to 7.7% that means that there must be items that went down substantially.

Or perhaps they are lying.

• dasmo and lanforod like this

#2582 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:44 AM

Gas up 40%, food up 20%, etc.

What I would like to know is what went down in price? If inflation netted to 7.7% that means that there must be items that went down substantially.

Or perhaps they are lying.

Car insurance?  It just hit a 6-year low in the UK.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 06:45 AM.

#2583 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:48 AM

Car insurance?  It just hit a 6-year low in the UK.

Sure and I spend as much on car insurance every year as I do gas and food!

Unfortunately for us, the Government is the prime beneficiary of inflation as it devalues their debt. No motion on their part to help lower it.

#2584 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:14 AM

Car insurance did go down here, but so did what you get for that.

#2585 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 09:59 AM

^Aha. You've just hinted at the secret.

Inflation data does not account for 'shrinkflation,' which lowers what you get for the same or a smaller, more marketable price. The inflation calculators just show you spent the same or less for that item or collection of items.

BC was supposed to release its May CPI data on the 15th. It's now the 22nd, and no sign of this information.

• dasmo and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2586 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:06 AM

...BC was supposed to release its May CPI data on the 15th. It's now the 22nd, and no sign of this information.

It takes a while to fudge the numbers to justify the rental cap.

• Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#2587 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:00 AM

The whole "basket of goods" basis for calculating official inflation is a poorly devised scheme (outlined here: https://www150.statc...2022009-eng.htm ) Even just looking at how they weigh Housing expenses shows you the official number means next to nothing.

e.g. A young couple buying a house for $1.5MM is getting hit by inflation by an astronomically larger degree than the senior couple next door who bought a similar house in 1972. One party is paying out the nose for Housing, while the other pays a pittance for Housing.

How can you even pretend to average these differences out to any meaningful degree? It's ludicrous. 

Edited by max.bravo, 22 June 2022 - 11:01 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#2588 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 05:17 AM

There’s no one reason for the decision to close and retire, but Phillion said things changed through the pandemic.

Downtown offices were largely empty for much of the last two years and they have yet to return to their full capacity and may never, which has had an impact on people dropping in to have shoes fixed or to pick up supplies.

https://www.timescol...-sunset-5518145

#2589 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 05:34 AM

The number of people actually living downtown has really grown over the last ten years and that should make up for some of the lost office jobs. The bigger factor is that people no longer find downtown attractive or particularly safe feeling.

#2590 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 05:56 AM

One also found that workers at downtown stores first eye you up and down to asses your threat level of causing a problem or making off with items.

Lots of alcohol venues, though. You can’t walk a third of a block without encountering alcohol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2591 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 06:01 AM

To be fair, downtown is more appealing when one is at least partially inebriated.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2592 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:05 AM

Seattle Times:

As Microsoft is showing, workers may never come back to the office | Danny Westneat

Microsoft's own research calls the shift toward remote work historic and lasting, a "sixth era" in how and where we work. Signs around Seattle suggest the research is correct, writes columnist Danny Westneat.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2022 - 01:05 AM.

#2593 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:00 AM

Sounds like we should get back into the office!
  • Nparker likes this

#2594 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:05 AM

One of the reasons I chose to retire at this time, was because I no longer had any co-workers. I realized that a significant part of my job satisfaction came from the interaction I had with others at the office.

• Mike K., dasmo and Victoria Watcher like this

#2595 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:58 AM

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever considered it from that angle.

Know it all.

#2596 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:12 AM

Human beings are social animals. We weren't meant to spend large parts of our lives in isolation from one another.

#2597 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:10 PM

Human beings are social animals. We weren't meant to spend large parts of our lives in isolation from one another.

A sizable number of my coworkers cited being able to spend more time with family as one of their primary justifications for working primarily from home.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2598 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:13 PM

Sounds like we should get back into the office!

I think that some workers have been told to, and they have simply said no.  Short of employer reasons why they should come back, and not wanting to lose talent, some employers have relented.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2022 - 01:14 PM.

#2599 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:14 PM

A sizable number of my coworkers cited being able to spend more time with family as one of their primary justifications for working primarily from home.

Compared to a 20-minute commute?

Spend more time with them during the working day?  Or on lunch hour?

#2600 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:16 PM

I think that some workers have been told to, and they have simply said no.  Short of employer reasons why they should come back, and not wanting to lose talent, some employers have relented.

#officemandates

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users