Sandstone development - south Nanaimo

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:15 AM

The Vancouver company that owns the 726-acre Sandstone site at the south end of Nanaimo hopes for a public hearing this fall to present a revised vision.

“It is basically going to be a game-changer for south Nanaimo,” Ian Porter, Seacliff Properties’ director of development, said Wednesday.

https://www.timescol...aimo-1.24181781

Sandstone is at the junction of the Trans-Canada and Duke Point highways.

When Seacliff bought the land in 2018, it came with a previous blueprint for a planned community.

The new version includes a business park expected to generate 5,500 permanent jobs once the project is complete.

Seacliff’s other Vancouver Island properties include Royal Beach land in Colwood, where it plans a mixed-use development, and the Fairwinds golf and residential community at Nanoose Bay.

project website:  https://sandstonenanaimo.ca/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 06:19 AM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:18 AM

South Nanaimo is in bad, bad shape. It needs whatever help it can get.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:55 AM

South nanaimo is fine. Its a perfectly normal place where normal people live and raise their families
  • Brantastic and Victoria Watcher like this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:53 AM

Well, I was there on Monday. It was Burnside-Gorge 2.0, perhaps even rougher.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:00 AM

You were hanging out in Chase River? Or Cedar?  Too many chicken coops?  Yards too big?  Too many boats or RVs?

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:03 AM

i think this development is south of "south nanaimo" as we now know.  

• Nparker and newbie_01 like this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

The closest thing we have to that area, in terms of physical degradation and sketchy ambiance, would be the area immediately around the shelter in Rock Bay.

Know it all.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:05 AM

You were hanging out in Chase River? Or Cedar?  Too many chicken coops?  Yards too big?  Too many boats or RVs?

That's Cedar and Chase River, not south Nanaimo. South Nanaimo is the area immediately south of downtown Nanaimo.

Know it all.

#9 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

Semantics.  That is where this project is and what most would consider south nanaimo

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:11 AM

post-4657-0-68196200-1596723534.png

#11 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:15 AM

Nanaimo city limits extends to Duke Point highway so the development is South Nanaimo 

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

but it's not in the crap area/neighborhood mike refers to.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 09:23 AM.

#13 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:28 AM

I think youre a bit off there. I'd call the VIU area nice, the two neighborhoods you called crap id go OK, then downtown and the train tracks/native band area you called nice unfortunately is crap

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:29 AM

oh i think i put pam anderson in the wrong place.  well she is getting older maybe she will retire to parksville.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 09:31 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#15 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

Either way, no body beats Victoria when it comes to sketchy filthy societal breakdown

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:39 AM

Have you seen south Nanaimo lately? It’s intense, by the standards of a city the size of Nanaimo.

Know it all.

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 07:28 AM

2,200-home development in south Nanaimo gets go-ahead

The Sandstone project is expected to have a 20-year phased build-out that includes plans for more than 2,000 new homes on 726 acres

#18 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 November 2023 - 08:17 AM

The acreage size is misleading, seems much of this is on hill/mountain sides so it'll be Bear mountain style for the SFH portions, plus large chunks given to local First Nations.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 08:29 AM

I was up in this area of Nanaimo on Sunday. Lots of large, ocean view homes going up here. There was a gate across the road at one point so I couldn’t go further but new home construction is taking off in that area. Big acreages there, I guess, and subdividing going on to create large(er) lot infill.

Nanaimo is in another world entirely compared to the CRD. Big strip malls everywhere, a huge car culture, subdivisions along mountainsides, etc. People just doing their thing without the dogma permeating so many facets of people’s lives.

Downtown Nanaimo sure wasn’t happening when I was there. Stopping for gas at the south end Shell, it was so sketchy I hopped into the cab and locked the door as the gas was being pumped. Imagine having to stick around for 45 minutes to charge an EV, in that sort of environment.

IMG_2413.jpeg

Know it all.

#20 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 08:40 AM

Or for long. The mayor is in the covenant….

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users