Photo

42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1968 replies to this topic

#41 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:46 AM

And, in unsurprising news, Sonia Furstenau was just elected leader of the BC Greens.

#42 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:57 AM

And, in unsurprising news, Sonia Furstenau was just elected leader of the BC Greens.

rode a protest all the way to leader of BC Greens. Good for her but my goodness...

#43 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:41 PM

Michael Geoghegan can't be accused of splitting votes in any Victoria ridings this election. It seems he's been living in Williams Lake for the last couple of years, and is running for the BC Liberal nomination in Cariboo-Chilcotin

• John M. likes this

#44 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:49 PM

Michael Geoghegan can't be accused of splitting votes in any Victoria ridings this election. It seems he's been living in Williams Lake for the last couple of years, and is running for the BC Liberal nomination in Cariboo-Chilcotin.

I guess someone booked his services before any one in Victoria could... it will be interesting to follow...

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:00 PM

Michael Geoghegan can't be accused of splitting votes in any Victoria ridings this election. It seems he's been living in Williams Lake for the last couple of years, and is running for the BC Liberal nomination in Cariboo-Chilcotin.

From the above Black Press piece: “ In Victoria, he did a weekly political commentary on a local radio station but gave it up when he moved to Williams Lake for a six-month contract as an acting executive director for the Tsilhqot’in National Government.”

This was Geoghegan’s CFAX segment with Stirling, which was postponed when he announced he was running for mayor, or quite possibly when he announced he was running in the Saanich by-election. It was the controversy he created in relation to Stephen Hammond’s campaign that turned the milk a bit sour at the radio station, I believe.
  • NotHudsonMack likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:01 PM

rode a protest all the way to leader of BC Greens. Good for her but my goodness...

She came across well back in the protest days, but has sounded far crazier in recent years.  Still, maybe the only Green to be elected in an NDP landslide I suspect.

• GetLisaSomeHelps likes this

#47 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

Still, maybe the only Green to be elected in an NDP landslide I suspect.

I'd be very surprised if Adam Olson didn't win Saanich North and the Islands again. They'll probably be competitive on Van Island and in a few other regions, like usual, but I doubt they'll be able to push beyond those two seats. The NDP's just too popular right now.

• John M. likes this

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:14 PM

And no one for whom. I would cast my vote.

#49 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:39 PM

Not sure if I saw it on Twitter or Face-thing but one of Stephanie Papik's endorsement graphics had Dubow's endorsement. 

Is there a connection with the NDP? Is she the favourite?

Also heard Grace Lore is running as well. 

(Side note kinda makes it look like municipal politics are seen as a jumping point towards higher office, especially as of late: Laurel (past councillor) went for MP, Jeremy Carradonna (past councillor candidate) is going for provincial Green, Grace Lore (past councillor candidate) going for provincial NDP. Anyone else?)

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:58 PM

...it look[s] like municipal politics are seen as a jumping point towards higher office, especially as of late...

I don't think there's anything especially unusual about this, except perhaps that rookie politicos are aiming for higher office without gaining much if any experience "in the trenches". Politics, like many careers these days, is as much about perception/name recognition as it about ability or duty.

• John M. likes this

#51 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

To clarify I meant more there seems to be a bit of a cluster all quite recently. Don't recall this much of a local cluster. Maybe haven't been paying close enough attention previously. 

Thought usually people would get their feet wet, finish their terms then climb the ladder. Seems like lots of not completing what they committed to and people jumping all the way in. 

We really need some variety on council so that we have a variety in people going on to seek higher office. Right now it seems what we have is a group that keeps referring to those who leave around uncapped drug tainted sharps and carry replica hand guns as vulnerable. 

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:38 PM

...Thought usually people would get their feet wet, finish their terms then climb the ladder...

Ideally yes.

...Seems like lots of not completing what they committed to and people jumping all the way in...

It's the millennial* way. Everyone should be allowed to start at the top, rather than pay their dues. I don't really blame them, after all they were raised in the "participation trophy" generation.

*yes this is an overgeneralization to make a point

• rmpeers likes this

#53 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:37 PM

Ideally yes.
It's the millennial* way. Everyone should be allowed to start at the top, rather than pay their dues. I don't really blame them, after all they were raised in the "participation trophy" generation.

What about Michael Geoghegan? He doesn’t look like a millennial?
  • John M. likes this

#54 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:54 AM

Not that I will be voting for him, but Jeremy Cardonna is a good candidate, and is better suited to being a MLA than a councillor. I could see the Greens declining provincewide (losing Oak Bay-Gordon Head to the NDP or Liberals, for example) and still picking up Victoria-Beacon Hill. 

#55 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

Greens had their chance to make their mark and enter big leagues in the aftermath of 2017 and they blew it
  • NotHudsonMack likes this

#56 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:02 PM

Greens had their chance to make their mark and enter big leagues in the aftermath of 2017 and they blew it

I have to agree.  They have veered away from the mainstream voter which is why Weaver bolted.  My guess is that those still with the Greens are happy being a fringe party.

#57 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:04 PM

Ideally yes.

I'm sorry that Boomers and Gen X did a poor job of raising my generation

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

At least half of the Gen X-ers are too young to have raised millennials, so my conscience is clear.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#59 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:57 PM

...i dunno...my kids turned out alright...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#60 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:00 PM

Agree. Swing and a miss.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users