UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Spencer Block
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 611-635 Chatham Street / 610-618 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Spencer Block is comprised of two rental buildings between the 600-blocks of Chatham and Herald streets at Gov... (view full profile)
Learn more about Spencer Block on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Spencer Block | Rentals; commercial | 5 & 5-storeys

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

^ I think that would be a good trajectory. It is too bad that they are not taking a page from the Ironworks development and doing almost Rob has suggested here and build them separately. I still think that you can change the floor and façade layout without it looking phony or disneyesque. I mean I think even a slight change in the roof lines could make a difference here.

On the comparison with the London terraced flats I am going to have to disagree that we would want to emulate that. Even in the linked picture that is a terrible pedestrian experience, too monotonous.

Back to this one, is it me or does the ground floor compared to the "people" there seem extremely short? Seems that combining monotony with limited ground floor interaction on a currently quiet street could be a recipe for disaster. Again one only needs to look at the excellent corner aspect of the Ironworks (and yes I will admit I was worried about nothing there).

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:18 AM

Modern ground floors are often way too short for the context of an older district. And they often have too little glazing as well. And the pillars and dividers tend to be way too thick and inelegant.

But modern ground floors must be that way, otherwise they wouldn't fit in, right?

Why not sacrifice part of the second level on one section to create a really tall ground floor?

And why not do the same thing on another section but by inserting a short row of two-level townhouses?

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:23 AM

Two or three separate buildings would be preferable, but I have no problem with clever techniques that might fool us into thinking one long & unified complex isn't actually one long & unified complex. If it's done well.

Methinks a rooftop public space atop one section -- with a visible trellis or pergola or some tall planters or whatever -- could also suggest variation in rooflines where no actual variation exists.

• Nparker likes this

#44 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:58 AM

Re: ground floor height, that's the only thing that is varied. This site is sloped, but you would barely know by looking at the rendering. Notice that the cornicing below the second storey is a straight line all the way across the building, but the distance between that and the awnings gradually widens towards Government. So illusion is that all the ground floors are the same height, but really the ceiling gets higher and higher as you walk west.

Even the two existing auto buildings on Herald have different roof and floor heights, and they're only a single storey!

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:11 PM

For sure they're going to have to address the slope, but there's no obvious/intentional variation re: one ground floor in the middle is two meters taller than the ones on either side (unlike, for example, the individual buildings that currently stand along the east end of the block). This is what I mean.

Anyway, a super quick and dirty mashup now makes me think the ground floor heights don't even need to be varied. Using some of the ground level and the second level for townhouses (or even visually suggesting such) might make for a massive improvement. I also threw a roofline variation on the two lighter coloured sections.

Super quick and dirty but you get the idea (I gotta admit, I enjoy it when a rendering disappoints but then invites discussion and creative photoshopping):

Herald_Hypothetical.jpg

Edited by aastra, 15 October 2020 - 12:12 PM.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

Summary: simply having less of that same ground floor makes the whole thing seem more pleasing to my eye.

• zoomer likes this

#47 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

For sure they're going to have to address the slope, but there's no obvious/intentional variation re: one ground floor in the middle is two meters taller than the ones on either side (unlike, for example, the individual buildings that currently stand along the east end of the block). This is what I mean.

Yah, we're saying the same thing. What they've done is taken one of the site advantages and erased it.

• Rob Randall likes this

#48 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:18 AM

Today’s T-C has an article about this development : https://www.timescol...town-1.24224129

#49 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:59 AM

Who's the architect on this one?

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:35 AM

I am confused by the Government Street frontage pic... So it is two buildings?

It has a whole new look!

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:39 AM

For reference.

tc-57799-web-herald-chatham-2-jpg.jpg

#52 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:46 AM

Integra, they're out of Vancouver

Technically speaking it is a single building due to the shared underground parkade, but to someone walking by it looks like two buildings: one on Herald, one on Chatham. All of the massing changes along the facades are just that, facades. The landscape plan shows this better (Note that the breezeway from Herald into the courtyard is not open to the sky)

Capture.PNG

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:05 AM

The Herald Street side also has a different design utilizing corrugated metal in lieu of only brick.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

Yah, we're saying the same thing. What they've done is taken one of the site advantages and erased it.

Integra, they're out of Vancouver

Sometimes I wonder if the out-of-town architects on local projects have actually done a proper site visit. 

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:12 AM

The design is growing on me, to be honest.

The only thing I would ask for is to give one or two 'segments' a height differentiation from the rest, or set a portion back from the street wall. But that could be impractical financially.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:23 AM

The Herald Street side needs work to break up the monotony of the proposed facade.

#57 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

It seems this isn't the first time Integra has done a monotonous facade. Here's one of their designs on Fraser Street in Vancouver:

234-01-Century-1227-1200x775.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#58 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:50 AM

I had thought that the northwest corner was also part of this. That is a huge relief that it is not. If we could see a slight modification at the southeast and then in a few years a bit more flashy building goes into that northwest corner the block might not totally be lost.

Note to developers: Don't rely on future development to make your development more palatable.

It has a whole new look!

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:03 AM

The shop just extended their lease for five years. So it could be on the menu in a few years.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#60 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

So CBC did an editorial on the Carnegie Building in Vancouver, and I couldn't help but think of this project when I saw an image of the Dawson Block across the street. Very similar in massing and articulation, but not monotonous! Variation in first floor height between the two buildings! Different window and awnings treatments! Varied height! 

old-vancouver-postcard.jpg

• Mike K. and Brantastic like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users