Photo

So this happened today - NetFlix

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:17 PM

I know a couple that did give their house out to movie production.

They were given a generous per diem and a lump sum to go on holiday for a month.

House was completely repainted inside and all carpeting was replaced. 

They were quite happy with the deal, but you have to totally give the space over to the production.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:19 PM

I think the employer would not be thrilled with a request to set up a trusted VPN connection from a hotel, heh....

I know you're in IT, so I'm really confused at this statement. Your laptop should already be configured for VPN. Just don't use an open wifi for the main connection. Connect to encrypted hotel wifi or plug in to Ethernet (many have plugins still). Connect to VPN. All* traffic encrypted, voila.

If you're worried about the hotel networking gear being compromised... well, at some point you do have to trust an ISP too, don'tcha? You're using MFA, I hope....

*depending on the configuration, 'all' may not be all. Split tunneling etc.

Edited by lanforod, 14 October 2020 - 07:21 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#23 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:46 PM

Our team does not use nor are we equipped with laptops, period; all team members have a three 24" widescreen monitor setup along with a WYSE terminal: I was not referring to the networking aspects of a hotel hookup so much as the political optics of such a request.

In our environment access a certain file or record without explcit authorization even with our team's high access credentials, or without a valid business reason to do so, and you can be fired. Permit anyone who does not work for us to get a look at our screens - i.e. my wife for example or a neighbor while working from home - which are routinely displaying highly confidential information at any given time, and you can be fired. Under normal office circumstances mobile phones are required to be turned off during business hours (except lunch naturally) and put in a desk drawer. Fire it up and snap a picture of a monitor and you can be fired. 

My comment was partially tongue in cheek just thinking more about our senior people going to an AD at the client Ministry requesting that one of their people - an employee of a third party partner with corporate HO in the US - be configured to work from a hotel given the high sensitivity of the files we manage. ASE gets up from his workstation and goes for a prowl around the block, forgets to logoff or turn off his monitor, and a hotel server or housekeeping person walks into the room in the meantime and gets a very good look at his screen(s). Maybe they even take a pic with their own phone. They soon realize what they are looking at and the person gossips and tells two co-workers who tell two more co-workers and so on and so on. Or, worse, someone in that human chain decides to go to the media. 

Consequently there would be two possible chances of such an approval from the ministry. Zero. And None.

As with any government agency record Security and Citizen Privacy are of paramount concern. Even at home I was required to sign in advance a document that stated I will work in a dedicated room with a door that closes and provides no possibility that family members or house guests can view anything they aren't authorized to see. If the employer saw fit they could theoretically send an auditor at any time to my place to ensure that is the case, and that I'm not sitting around in shorts and a tank top working out in the open on the back sundeck.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 14 October 2020 - 09:04 PM.

#24 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:31 PM

Ok. Your comment sounded like it was more of a technical issue, rather than a policy one. I get that aspect of it, for sure.

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:58 PM

Our team does not use nor are we equipped with laptops, period; all team members have a three 24" widescreen monitor setup along with a WYSE terminal: I was not referring to the networking aspects of a hotel hookup so much as the political optics of such a request.

In our environment access a certain file or record without explcit authorization even with our team's high access credentials, or without a valid business reason to do so, and you can be fired. Permit anyone who does not work for us to get a look at our screens - i.e. my wife for example or a neighbor while working from home - which are routinely displaying highly confidential information at any given time, and you can be fired. Under normal office circumstances mobile phones are required to be turned off during business hours (except lunch naturally) and put in a desk drawer. Fire it up and snap a picture of a monitor and you can be fired. 

My comment was partially tongue in cheek just thinking more about our senior people going to an AD at the client Ministry requesting that one of their people - an employee of a third party partner with corporate HO in the US - be configured to work from a hotel given the high sensitivity of the files we manage. ASE gets up from his workstation and goes for a prowl around the block, forgets to logoff or turn off his monitor, and a hotel server or housekeeping person walks into the room in the meantime and gets a very good look at his screen(s). Maybe they even take a pic with their own phone. They soon realize what they are looking at and the person gossips and tells two co-workers who tell two more co-workers and so on and so on. Or, worse, someone in that human chain decides to go to the media. 

Consequently there would be two possible chances of such an approval from the ministry. Zero. And None.

As with any government agency record Security and Citizen Privacy are of paramount concern. Even at home I was required to sign in advance a document that stated I will work in a dedicated room with a door that closes and provides no possibility that family members or house guests can view anything they aren't authorized to see. If the employer saw fit they could theoretically send an auditor at any time to my place to ensure that is the case, and that I'm not sitting around in shorts and a tank top working out in the open on the back sundeck.

Yikes, they *really* don't want anyone seeing the Trump Russia files :D  

• lanforod likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:23 PM

Yikes, they *really* don't want anyone seeing the Trump Russia files :D  

Aliens dude, its all about the aliens. "Trump - Russia" is handled by another department :)

• sebberry likes this

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:04 AM

I bet it’s just overdue water bills!

Now where’s that dancing banana?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

I will be the most surprised person in the room if while reviewing or troubleshooting BC Medical Services or Pharmacare file issues if I came across an o/s water bill, heh.....

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 06:27 AM

Netflix shares are down nearly 40% as the company’s financials point to a decimation of its subscriber revenue.

The stock was trading at $700 six months ago. It’s at $220 today. Yesterday it was at $350.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 06:40 AM

It’s a slowing of growth. Non-growth stock can’t sustain or warrant such a high ratio.

Not much to see here, except that there are many streaming services now, instead of just one.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2022 - 06:40 AM.

• Redd42 likes this

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:37 AM

Not just a slowing of growth, it is losing subscribers for the first time in its history.

It anticipates losing two million subscribers by summer. I’d cut it if it wasn’t for the protesting of Mrs Mike K who likes some of its crime documentary content, but the platform offers me exactly zero content of interest. I find monumentally more value in YouTube and Prime.

Know it all.

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:39 AM

Perhaps if Netflix didn't constantly raise their rates they might retain more of their subscribers.

#33 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:44 AM

Early recession indicator, families starting to cut discretionary costs.

• Mike K. likes this

#34 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:50 AM

Not just a slowing of growth, it is losing subscribers for the first time in its history.

They lost 200k from their base of 220m.  Probably mostly due to the pandemic ending.

You said their subscriber revenue was "decimated".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2022 - 07:51 AM.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:52 AM

It’s the negative trajectory of losing 2.2 million by July that’s scaring investors, when they should have added two million. That’s a four million subscriber upset.

Know it all.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:52 AM

Oh yes, I meant new subscriber revenue. This explains why they raised prices just the other week (again).

Know it all.

#37 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:58 AM

It’s the negative trajectory of losing 2.2 million by July that’s scaring investors, when they should have added two million. That’s a four million subscriber upset.

700k alone is from shutting off Russia.  1% loss is not great, but as I say, it's the slowing or stopped growth that makes the stock not look so growthish.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2022 - 07:58 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#38 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:51 AM

graph

Attached Images

• 09f91d0c-64f2-4328-9df4-dd4b9caa132c.png

#39 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,231 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:04 AM

700k alone is from shutting off Russia.  1% loss is not great, but as I say, it's the slowing or stopped growth that makes the stock not look so growthish.  

You are either growing or dying. Nothing is at rest. 

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:05 AM

You are either growing or dying. Nothing is at rest. 

What about companies like General Foods?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2022 - 09:07 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users