Photo

Any townhomes with self contained yards being built?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:14 PM

Homes are too expensive, wondering if I can find a townhouse that sort of matches the house experience.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:20 PM

Have you checked out The Reeve in Saanich?

https://victoria.cit...enue-the-reeve/

They’re selling super fast, only nine homes remain.
  • jasmineshinga and 1vanguy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:25 PM

Have you checked out The Reeve in Saanich?

https://victoria.cit...enue-the-reeve/

They’re selling super fast, only nine homes remain.

I hadn't heard of them...those yards are way too small for my taste though, and looking for something without shared walls w/ neighbours.  And they start at 730k? lol thats funny

Edited by 1vanguy, 03 December 2020 - 01:26 PM.

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:33 PM

A townhouse = shared walls with neighbours. ...

• Nparker, Matt R., sdwright.vic and 2 others like this

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:46 PM

Single family home, no shared walls, big yard, below $730k.

heh

Edited by Rob Randall, 03 December 2020 - 03:15 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#6 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

Actually, there are townhome projects that have shared garage walls only with their neighbour. One around the corner from me. None for sale for years. Doubt if they build them like that any more.

#7 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:04 PM

A townhouse = shared walls with neighbours. ...

I think there is a detached townhouse complex on Colville Road. A bit counterintuitive but certainly not single family home classification without meaningful yard space.

• mbjj likes this

#8 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:53 PM

My daughter looked at listings for some that looked nice, I think on Coville. Not very big grassy areas, but they seemed to be totally detached. Nice inside, new, not huge rooms but modestly sized. 

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:23 PM

I don't think it's the yard size that defines a townhouse. It's the shared walls and strata title. Shared walls with no strata title = rowhome.

Detached with no shared walls is a SFH, regardless of yard size.

#10 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:15 PM

You can have strata title without shared walls though. 

• Matt R. likes this

#11 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:27 PM

Homes are too expensive, wondering if I can find a townhouse that sort of matches the house experience.

The old ones at Parkside place in saanich have private limited common property in the back, some are patios, some have grass but all are fenced and private. They are going for $420-ish, but old.

Matt.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:52 PM

I hadn't heard of them...those yards are way too small for my taste though, and looking for something without shared walls w/ neighbours. And they start at 730k? lol thats funny

Oh man, we’re going to have to have another intervention.

The average price paid for a re-sale townhome was $668k last month. If you’re looking for new, $729 is about as low as it gets in Saanich and the periphery. In Sooke you can get away with $500-$600k, but that’s a lifestyle decision more than a housing decision.
  • Matt R., sukika, lanforod and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:34 PM

My daughter looked at listings for some that looked nice, I think on Coville. Not very big grassy areas, but they seemed to be totally detached. Nice inside, new, not huge rooms but modestly sized. 

I think that was my listing....bare land strata.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#14 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

One thought would be half a duplex where it is front/back and the front and back are only attached by garages. The back portion usually has a single family home type feeling back yard.

• Mike K. and 1vanguy like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#15 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 05:25 PM

Oh man, we’re going to have to have another intervention.

The average price paid for a re-sale townhome was $668k last month. If you’re looking for new, $729 is about as low as it gets in Saanich and the periphery. In Sooke you can get away with $500-$600k, but that’s a lifestyle decision more than a housing decision.

I've seen a couple single family homes in Victoria for under 700,000. I don't know why anyone would pay more than that to get into a townhouse with shared walls and a tiny patio....I guess because it's new?

#16 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:50 PM

I've seen a couple single family homes in Victoria for under 700,000. I don't know why anyone would pay more than that to get into a townhouse with shared walls and a tiny patio....I guess because it's new?

Yeah, exactly that. You can find a few under 700. They'll need a chunk more cash to make them actually nice, and you'll still be dealing with a 40-80or more year old place that is in general, crappy. But you'll get some land...

In reality, if you have a wish list of must haves, you'll have to pay for it.

• Matt R. likes this

#17 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 March 2021 - 02:46 PM

By the sounds of it, this project will include private yards.

Green-light-for-Burnside-Gorge-townhome-proposal-a-first-win-for-new-developer.jpg

A rendering of Curate Developments' 34-unit townhome project recently approved by Victoria council for the 3000-block of Washington Avenue. The two and three-storey concept will bring much needed family-inspired 'missing middle' townhome residences to the Capital's urban core.

Green light for Burnside-Gorge townhome proposal a first win for new developer

https://victoria.cit...-new-developer/

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users