2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#421 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:07 PM

....And the public is ok with this?

Most of the public will never know about this.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#422 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:07 PM

the journalists themselves should be opposed to it. but what can you do.

#423 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:17 PM

That’s something.

And the public is ok with this?

From the same article:
« Canadian journalism historian Marc Edge believes the hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding for Canadian journalism since 2019 compromises the fourth estate’s independence in covering government.

“Hardly any media are reporting on all of the press bailouts … or on the fact the opposition leader has promised to cancel the $595 million bailout,” said Edge. “This is starting to smell very bad indeed. Canadians are not stupid.” « 

#424 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:09 AM

From the same article:
« Canadian journalism historian Marc Edge believes the hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding for Canadian journalism since 2019 compromises the fourth estate’s independence in covering government.

“Hardly any media are reporting on all of the press bailouts … or on the fact the opposition leader has promised to cancel the $595 million bailout,” said Edge. “This is starting to smell very bad indeed. Canadians are not stupid.” « 

"Canadians are not stupid.”

Some may disagree with that.

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#425 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:12 AM

most Canadians do not know about it. since you know. the media don’t report on it.
  • Barrrister likes this

#426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:09 AM

BC Transit says fares will be free on Election Day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#427 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:12 AM

and I’ve been saving up for bus fare for two years in the event of an election.
  • Nparker, Lorenzo, Ismo07 and 1 other like this

#428 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:24 AM

BC Transit says fares will be free on Election Day.

So people can go vote in multiple places?
Otherwise I don’t get it: aren’t voting stations within walking distance of where people live (in areas with public transportation)?
  • Nparker likes this

#429 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:40 PM

So people can go vote in multiple places?
Otherwise I don’t get it: aren’t voting stations within walking distance of where people live (in areas with public transportation)?

I saw mention somewhere that there's fewer voting stations this time - some of the usual poll sites aren't available due to covid concerns - meaning that for some (many?) people it'll be a bit more than easy walking distance.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#430 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:39 AM

and they can’t afford $5 to go vote?

it’s just throwing away a days fare box revenue. for the tiny percentage of riders that day that will ride to vote.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2021 - 02:40 AM.

#431 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:50 AM

is there any hope that Collins won't win? i just have to ask.. i will happily throw my vote towards the candidate most likely to beat her.. i can't in good faith support her...  give me someone to root for..

• Nparker likes this

#432 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:19 AM

Nope

#433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:34 AM

This is an election where you can pick your colour, knowing that orange will win. Macdonald is not having an easy go with it, from what I’ve heard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:36 AM

It’s also fascinating hearing where the actual candidates have door knocked so far, and where they will never door knock, but maybe send a supporter to knock, or only drop off a pamphlet.

Thus far mom has only had a Conservative campaigner show up, and that’s it. Pamphlets for the others were mailed but no visits.

Know it all.

#435 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:38 AM

I urge you to vote for Nikki Macdonald. I am volunteering for her campaign. She has the qualifications and gravitas to be a really good Member of Parliament for Victoria. Laurel is way over her head in this riding.

• Brayvehart likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#436 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:39 AM

I urge you to vote for Nikki Macdonald. I am volunteering for her campaign. She has the qualifications and gravitas to be a really good Member of Parliament for Victoria. Laurel is way over her head in this riding.

I would … but Trudeau….
  • Nparker, rjag and LJ like this

#437 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:54 AM

Where have the volunteers been concentration their efforts this year, Mike? It seems like Vic West hasn’t had much outreach, but the attitude among many in that neighbourhood is that change has to happen as the NDP hasn’t acknowledged Victoria’s struggles.

Know it all.

#438 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:12 AM

Expressed in middle eastern terms that would be voting for the Great Satan in order to get rid of the Little Satan.

#439 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:18 PM

I haven't seen any door knockers in our part of Fairfield. 

#440 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:24 PM

A couple came to our door the other night.

A lovely pair of knockers.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users