PROPOSED
Capital VI
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1221 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Capital VI is a proposal to build a ten-storey office and retail complex on the site of the Capital Six Theatr... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital VI on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Capital VI - 1221 Blanshard Street (Capital Six) | Offices and retail | 10-storeys

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:43 PM

I don't understand who decided this was going to be the "grey" district. A showcase of modern architecture in various shades of grey. If it doesn't seem like too much now, then imagine when the brick of the Capitol 6 is gone.

Unfortunately, monochromatic buildings (or permutations of black, grey, and white) are quite in vogue right now. Just look at HP2. I’ll be sad to see the architectural interest of the Capitol 6 glass dome (which was just re-done less than 10 years ago) and it’s immense fig tree disappear. I would have loved to have seen an homage to the original YMCA building and Capitol Theatre which stood there previously in the new building; both were old red brick buildings, with the Y similar to the arched window ‘Nelson’s Music’ Facade off Quadra and Mason, and the Theatre similar to the McPherson Playhouse. Sadly, it seems few are interested in adding much visual interest into the designs of buildings nowadays. The new design really harkens back to the international style of the 1950s, but I don’t personally care for that modernist style much.

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 06:01 AM

Yes, it’s big time international. That’s what the TD tower is on Douglas, yes?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 05:38 PM

Mike P.,  on Aug 11 2023 - 05:55 PM, said

Easy Home vacated the Capitol 6 building, demolition must be around the corner.

The theatre is still operating, is it not?

I still wonder about the demand for office space in this building. Telus Ocean* is likely competing for some of the same tenants and has a significant head start on construction.

* I appreciate that Telus itself intends to occupy at least some of the space.

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:00 AM

The developer says the theatre still has “some term left on their operating lease.”

So suffice it to say, the movies will keep playing for a little while yet. 😎
  • Nparker and downtownlurker like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:13 AM

It would be nice if perhaps a smaller movie theatre could be part of this development.

• Ismo07 likes this

#66 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 10:10 AM

Similar to what happened to star cinema in Sidney

#67 Mike P.

Mike P.
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 05:56 PM

Anyone knows why they don't have signage outside the building anymore? Unless you live here you wouldn't know it exists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users