PROPOSED
Capital VI
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1221 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Capital VI is a proposal to build a ten-storey office and retail complex on the site of the Capital Six Theatr... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital VI on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Capital VI - 1221 Blanshard Street (Capital Six) | Offices and retail | 10-storeys

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:43 PM

I don't understand who decided this was going to be the "grey" district. A showcase of modern architecture in various shades of grey. If it doesn't seem like too much now, then imagine when the brick of the Capitol 6 is gone.

Unfortunately, monochromatic buildings (or permutations of black, grey, and white) are quite in vogue right now. Just look at HP2. I’ll be sad to see the architectural interest of the Capitol 6 glass dome (which was just re-done less than 10 years ago) and it’s immense fig tree disappear. I would have loved to have seen an homage to the original YMCA building and Capitol Theatre which stood there previously in the new building; both were old red brick buildings, with the Y similar to the arched window ‘Nelson’s Music’ Facade off Quadra and Mason, and the Theatre similar to the McPherson Playhouse. Sadly, it seems few are interested in adding much visual interest into the designs of buildings nowadays. The new design really harkens back to the international style of the 1950s, but I don’t personally care for that modernist style much.

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 06:01 AM

Yes, it’s big time international. That’s what the TD tower is on Douglas, yes?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 05:38 PM

Mike P.,  on Aug 11 2023 - 05:55 PM, said

Easy Home vacated the Capitol 6 building, demolition must be around the corner.

The theatre is still operating, is it not?

I still wonder about the demand for office space in this building. Telus Ocean* is likely competing for some of the same tenants and has a significant head start on construction.

* I appreciate that Telus itself intends to occupy at least some of the space.

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:00 AM

The developer says the theatre still has “some term left on their operating lease.”

So suffice it to say, the movies will keep playing for a little while yet. 😎
  • Nparker and downtownlurker like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:13 AM

It would be nice if perhaps a smaller movie theatre could be part of this development.

• Ismo07 likes this

#66 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 10:10 AM

Similar to what happened to star cinema in Sidney

#67 Mike P.

Mike P.
  • 150 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2023 - 05:56 PM

Anyone knows why they don't have signage outside the building anymore? Unless you live here you wouldn't know it exists.

#68 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,558 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 04:37 AM

As for the Capitol 6, Golin has a multi-year lease agreement with Jawl Properties Ltd., which purchased the building in 2015 and leased it to Golin Cinemas the following year.

A rezoning and development ­application to demolish the building at the corner of Yates and Blanshard and build a mixed-use complex with ground-floor commercial space and three levels of underground parking was approved in 2022, but the development is not expected to happen anytime soon.

The six-screen theatre, which shows first-run movies, has been enjoying strong returns in recent years, according to Golin. “We’re happy and the customers are happy, so it’s a good situation.”

https://www.timescol...-movies-9087362

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 07:15 AM

I'm guessing a mostly office development doesn't seem especially lucrative in downtown Victoria today as it did in 2015. I have to wonder if this proposal won't be changed to residential with ground level commercial, if it proceeds at all.
  • Victoria Watcher and 2000larry like this

#70 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,895 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:18 AM

/\ ............yes most likely; 2015 is a long way from the reality of 2024 post covid re office space.

From what I've heard - anecdotally - doesn't sound like there will be a rush of BCG employees coming back any time soon to anything resembling pre covid office occupancy. Even if our org did - and remember we are a private sector entiity merely contracted to the BCG - we relocated to Keating X Rd over a year ago so there is about 250-300 bodies right there never returning to d/t.

My wife's firm, part of a huge global IT services conglomerate with over 300 people downtown (all of whom have been WFH since covid), will by the sounds of it formally abandon the lease on those downtown digs by no later than next spring in favor of purely work from home, with only a faint possibility of leasing another much smaller office space - which almost certainly wouldn't be located in the core.

Its all too bad because that Capitol 6 building is one of the fugliest in Victoria and I was very much looking forward to seeing it pulverized into oblivion or at the very least modified such as to be unrecognizable from its current hideous form.

#71 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,558 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:22 AM

It’s a great opportunity for Johnny Zee’s to make a return.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#72 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:25 AM

Or Famous Charlie's. Am I the only one who remembers that restaurant?

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 09:21 AM

This appeared in my Facebook memories today.

memory.png

3 years later; is this project even likely to happen anymore?

#74 ventilatte

ventilatte
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 08:59 PM

This appeared in my Facebook memories today.

attachicon.gif memory.png

3 years later; is this project even likely to happen anymore?

I doubt it. Based on that Times Colonist article the theatre has years left on the lease. 

Sucks that both this and the Harris Green development have seemingly been cancelled after getting approved. 

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:39 PM

No cancellation, but definitely delayed. The VI office building is in early pre-leasing.

Know it all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users