Missing Middle Housing Initiative (MMHI) in the City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3521 replies to this topic

#461 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:59 AM

Survey is here: https://www.stephena..._housing_survey

Says it closes on July 13 ... the day after the City's Missing Middle information session, but the day before the first reading of the Missing Middle bylaw.

I have no issue completing a survey but would have liked to have seen Stephen work with other council members so that each one didn't have to ask their own questions in order to get feedback.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#462 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:29 AM

Other than to achieve some sort of "woke-ish" feather in the mayor's cap (During my term as mayor, I solved the housing crisis in the CoV), I am really puzzled as to why this policy needs to be decided before the October municipal election. If it's good policy, I am sure the fine folks who will be elected in the fall will consider it with the all the consideration it deserves. 

• Awaiting Juno and JimV like this

#463 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,965 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 02:08 AM

San Francisco housing development has slowed to a crawl, with no uptick in sight: ‘The costs are simply too high’

With new housing development in San Francisco slowed to a crawl, Mayor London Breed is looking into whether reducing affordable requirements or deferring fees might get residential building job sites up and running again.

On Friday, Breed’s office called for the reconvening of the “technical advisory committee” that is supposed to periodically revisit the city’s inclusionary affordable housing program — which requires market-rate developers to either include affordable units, pay a fee or dedicate land. The eight-person committee, which includes four mayoral and four Board of Supervisors appointees, has not met since February 2018.

Breed spokesman Jeff Cretan said that rising construction costs, high inflation and interest rates, along with a sluggish pandemic recovery “make it an absolutely appropriate time to look at our policies so we can ensure that we are building the most housing, including affordable housing, that is possible.”

Supervisor Aaron Peskin, who co-sponsored the most recent version of the city’s affordable housing mandates, said “it’s definitely time to reconvene” the committee.

The push comes as the city is seeing declines at all points in the housing production cycle. Fewer new buildings are opening. Active construction sites are way down. And applications for new projects are few and far between.

During the Planning Commission meeting on Thursday, city economist Ted Egan and Land Use Program Manager Joshua Switzky delivered a mostly grim outlook for future housing development as well as office occupancy in downtown San Francisco.

https://www.sfchroni..._eid=d3c3a20417

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2022 - 02:09 AM.

#464 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:39 AM

San Francisco housing development has slowed to a crawl, with no uptick in sight: ‘The costs are simply too high’

Development across the board is slowing to a halt. Developers can't get financing, inflation is driving up costs and buyers are waiting for prices to fall. 

#465 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,965 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:42 AM

Yet 400,000 new Canadians will arrive this year.

#466 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:47 AM

Developers can get financing but they don’t necessarily want to pay the rates, or the rates don’t make sense given the rest of the costs involved to bring product to market. This is not like 2008 when credit was unavailable.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#467 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:54 AM

Developers can get financing but they don’t necessarily want to pay the rates, or the rates don’t make sense given the rest of the costs involved to bring product to market. This is not like 2008 when credit was unavailable.

You are right, money is always available. What I was suggesting is that they cannot get financing at rates that make sense.

• Mike K. and Awaiting Juno like this

#468 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 08:20 AM

What I am really wondering is what made Stephen Andrews do a flip flop and then vote for having this council make a snap decision this summer. Some say just bad judgment but what others are saying is that he made a deal. What was promised, by whom and for what if anything. 

I was a strong Andrews supporter but I am becoming convinced that he is just the next Lisa Helps. You can never pin him down on anything until after he votes on it and then he says the vote is over, time to move on. 

I am seriously disappointed that we are likely to get just more of the same and this city deserves better.

Edited by Barrrister, 07 July 2022 - 08:22 AM.

#469 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:42 PM

Yet 400,000 new Canadians will arrive this year.

I’m getting two this month alone! :banana:

#470 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2022 - 05:18 PM

Looks like Luke @ Aryze has had a little tantrum and went on a banning spree, including me.  So much for "Talk to Aryze"

aryze.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#471 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:00 PM

“Talk to Aryze” is just clever marketing. It’s not really an invitation to discuss things. Have you guys read Bernays Propaganda yet? It’s one of the best marketing manuals out there!
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#472 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:18 PM

“Talk to Aryze” is just clever marketing. It’s not really an invitation to discuss things...

"Talk to Aryze" is to discussion what CoV surveys are to public engagement.

• sebberry, dasmo and Awaiting Juno like this

#473 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 July 2022 - 12:00 PM

He loves to quote tweet me - and yes, I'm blocked by Aryze and there's something that strikes me as really wrong about that. 

I'm surprised somebody hasn't started a @BlockedbyAryze as a twitter account.

I've also noted he's added "land economist" to his titles, I'd love to see his actual economics credentials.

#474 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:53 PM

He loves to quote tweet me - and yes, I'm blocked by Aryze and there's something that strikes me as really wrong about that. 

I'm surprised somebody hasn't started a @BlockedbyAryze as a twitter account.

I've also noted he's added "land economist" to his titles, I'd love to see his actual economics credentials.

Why is it that you blocked that account then, rules dont apply to you?

Attached Images

• JW bock.png

#475 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:05 PM

Why is it that you blocked that account then, rules dont apply to you?

Much of twitter is a cesspool, but there are some good conversations to be had.  '@TalkToAryze (Unless you disagree with us)' blocking half the people who are posing legitimate questions and concerns not only makes having any sort of discussion and respectful debate difficult and creates twitter threads where every-second post can't be displayed, it really speaks volumes about the commitment Aryze has to engage with the community and highlights where your priorities are. 

Not only that, you're happy to screenshot comments made by people you've blocked and continue the discussion in public behind their back where they can't be part of the conversation.  Real mature.  I still have no clue what I said to piss off Luke... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#476 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:16 PM

Without know who has been blocked, you are making some very broad assumptions that “half the people” are blocked. Nobody has been blocked for disagreements, blocks occur when people are verbally abusive, aggressive, or have some personal attacks.

If you want to DM me your twitter handle, happy to check into it 😊

#477 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:18 PM

Much of twitter is a cesspool...

Agreed.

#478 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:25 PM

Without know who has been blocked, you are making some very broad assumptions that “half the people” are blocked. Nobody has been blocked for disagreements, blocks occur when people are verbally abusive, aggressive, or have some personal attacks.

If you want to DM me your twitter handle, happy to check into it

Figure of speech...

#479 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:30 PM

Was the part where you questioned our commitment and maturity figures of speech? Hahaha (it’s a joke too) 😋

Edited by PPPdev, 13 July 2022 - 04:30 PM.

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 06:57 AM

Councillor Andrew’s survey results: https://www.stephena..._survey_results

75% feel they were not or insufficiently informed on the issue.

Nearly 60% oppose it or need more information before they decide.

More: https://www.stephena..._survey_results
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users